Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   Blade Runner - Is It Overrated (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/10247-blade-runner-overrated.html)

Bringer Of Funerals 31st December 2012 03:06 PM

Blade Runner - Is It Overrated

Now I watched this for the 2nd time last night on BBC 2 along with the Dangerous Days documentary. It is also the 2nd time I found the film rather slow until the final half hr. Yet somehow even with me finding it slow and somewhat boring I couldn't take my eyes off the film. So my question to you is

Do you think the film is overrated and boring or do you think it deserves the rep it has got over the yrs?

Blade Runner Trailer 2007 "The Final Cut" - YouTube

Gojirosan 31st December 2012 03:10 PM

Yes.

Pete 31st December 2012 03:41 PM

What Goji said.

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st December 2012 03:43 PM

Ah, but what are you both saying yes to? The question in the title, or the question at the end of the post?

Beyond72 31st December 2012 03:44 PM

It's a tricky one, as you will be aware (After watching the documentary, which is worth a watch even if you're not a huge Blade Runner fan.) it kind of flopped theatrically but then slowly built a cult following over time.

I'm not singling you out, but the term overrated gets thrown around so much on the net and makes me wonder if it's simply a case that some people just happen to not like a film (For whatever reason) that lots of people do?

I'm personally not a huge fan, but the look and special effects (Esp for the time) deserve much credit at least and the All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. line is a classic.
I've also always loved the original novel title "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Pete 31st December 2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 307505)
Ah, but what are you both saying yes to? The question in the title, or the question at the end of the post?

It's massively overrated.

Gojirosan 31st December 2012 03:55 PM

Whilst appreciating all it does have going for it (and there are some nice visuals and dialogue), I think it is hugely, enormously over-rated both as a film and within Scott's canon.

It may be easy to bandy about the term "over-rated", but - for me - it is a perfect term to use when discussing Blade Runner.

Rik 31st December 2012 03:56 PM

I don't think it's overrated, 2001 is IMO, as is most of Kubrick's output except the Shining and Full Metal Jacket

Bringer Of Funerals 31st December 2012 04:02 PM

I also agree with 2001 I found it boring as hell and It was a task and a half to get through the film (and no film should be that hard to watch). I sound like I dislike Sci fi which is not the case

Rik 31st December 2012 04:04 PM

I didn't find it boring, just not as great as most people make out, haven't seen it in a long time so my feelings may change if I saw it in HD, doubt it though.