Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Is Blade Runner overrated?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Is Blade Runner overrated?

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2012, 03:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Blade Runner - Is It Overrated

Now I watched this for the 2nd time last night on BBC 2 along with the Dangerous Days documentary. It is also the 2nd time I found the film rather slow until the final half hr. Yet somehow even with me finding it slow and somewhat boring I couldn't take my eyes off the film. So my question to you is

Do you think the film is overrated and boring or do you think it deserves the rep it has got over the yrs?

Old 31st December 2012, 03:10 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yes.
Pete likes this.
Old 31st December 2012, 03:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

What Goji said.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 31st December 2012, 03:43 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Ah, but what are you both saying yes to? The question in the title, or the question at the end of the post?
Old 31st December 2012, 03:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's a tricky one, as you will be aware (After watching the documentary, which is worth a watch even if you're not a huge Blade Runner fan.) it kind of flopped theatrically but then slowly built a cult following over time.

I'm not singling you out, but the term overrated gets thrown around so much on the net and makes me wonder if it's simply a case that some people just happen to not like a film (For whatever reason) that lots of people do?

I'm personally not a huge fan, but the look and special effects (Esp for the time) deserve much credit at least and the All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. line is a classic.
I've also always loved the original novel title "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"
Old 31st December 2012, 03:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Ah, but what are you both saying yes to? The question in the title, or the question at the end of the post?
It's massively overrated.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 31st December 2012, 03:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Whilst appreciating all it does have going for it (and there are some nice visuals and dialogue), I think it is hugely, enormously over-rated both as a film and within Scott's canon.

It may be easy to bandy about the term "over-rated", but - for me - it is a perfect term to use when discussing Blade Runner.
Old 31st December 2012, 03:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I don't think it's overrated, 2001 is IMO, as is most of Kubrick's output except the Shining and Full Metal Jacket
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 31st December 2012, 04:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

I also agree with 2001 I found it boring as hell and It was a task and a half to get through the film (and no film should be that hard to watch). I sound like I dislike Sci fi which is not the case
Old 31st December 2012, 04:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I didn't find it boring, just not as great as most people make out, haven't seen it in a long time so my feelings may change if I saw it in HD, doubt it though.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!