Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   BLADE RUNNER 1982 Ridley Scott (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/10491-blade-runner-1982-ridley-scott.html)

Paul@TheOverlook 8th February 2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 320239)
It seems many feel the same way about the film. It grows on you the more you watch it.

It does, that and the fact I was eleven when I first watched it had a lot to do with the fact I didn't like it. I love BLADE RUNNER but I still think ALIEN is Ridley Scott's masterpiece.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th February 2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 320243)
It does, that and the fact I was eleven when I first watched it had a lot to do with the fact I didn't like it. I love BLADE RUNNER but I still think ALIEN is Ridley Scott's masterpiece.

I'd be about fifteen when i first saw it.

I think you're right about expectations back in the day. For us sci-fi was Star Wars, and Blade Runner being so different to that space opera made for a disappointing first viewing experience.

Someone seeing it for the first time now has possibly seen other sci fi films such as Sunshine, The Fifth Element, Star Trek, Avatar etc. All sci-fi yet all radically different films.

Back in the day everything tried to be a Star Wars clone or Alien which the majority of us probably weren't old enough to watch without understanding parents. So for me Blade Runner was just wrong and boring.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th February 2013 06:10 PM

You're right mate.
Many of us probably did make connections with Star Wars Ford/Solo,and were deeply baffled when we saw a sci-fi art movie!

With age you understand better,I love Star Wars,but now I realize Blade Runner was intelligent science fiction!

Susan Foreman 13th February 2013 07:07 PM

As I have stated elsewhere on the forum:

'Blade Runner' is one of those films that I have tried to like, but failed

I saw the 'original' version the first time it was on television, and it bored me senseless. It seems that everyone I knew was telling me that it was a good film, so when the 'directors cut' was released, I decided to give it another go, but this time on the big screen at the cinema. Again, I was bored to tears, but people still told me it was the greatest film ever made, so I put my reaction down to "not being in the proper mood"

When the DVD box set was released, I got a copy of it, and watched all five versions of the film, but nothing happened to change my opinion of the movie

Visually, it is incredibly impressive, but the story and execution leave me cold

sjconstable 13th February 2013 09:22 PM

I never understand why people constantly refer to it as visually impressive but lacking in story, the story is AMAZING. Androids yearning for more life and literally going to meet their maker, an android hunter who not only learns to respect (and love) them, but ends up discovering/realising that he is one himself, and accepts it. And Rutger Hauer's end speech makes me cry, absolutely beautiful moment. This film is all about what it is to be human, nothing boring about it.

Daemonia 14th February 2013 09:20 AM

I first caught this on TV in the mid-90's I think, and it left me a bit cold. Then I picked up the first Warner DVD release circa 1999 and it was an abysmal transfer, but despite the poor presentation I liked the film a little better this time round. I've not seen it now in about 14 years and figure it's time for a rewatch. Is the Final Cut that's on Blu worth picking up?

sjconstable 14th February 2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 321463)
Is the Final Cut that's on Blu worth picking up?

Absolutely, it's the best cut, and the colours have been touched up so it looks wonderful.

Beyond72 14th February 2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 321381)
As I have stated elsewhere on the forum:

'Blade Runner' is one of those films that I have tried to like, but failed

I saw the 'original' version the first time it was on television, and it bored me senseless. It seems that everyone I knew was telling me that it was a good film, so when the 'directors cut' was released, I decided to give it another go, but this time on the big screen at the cinema. Again, I was bored to tears, but people still told me it was the greatest film ever made, so I put my reaction down to "not being in the proper mood"

When the DVD box set was released, I got a copy of it, and watched all five versions of the film
, but nothing happened to change my opinion of the movie
Visually, it is incredibly impressive, but the story and execution leave me cold

Gawd, can't stand people who don't give a movie a chance.

:tongue1:

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th February 2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 321513)
Gawd, can't stand people who don't give a movie a chance.

:tongue1:

I agree. Unless it's a Twilight movie of course. :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th February 2013 05:14 PM

Or a Vanilla Ice starrer!:tongue1: