Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree244Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2016, 09:06 PM
Cult Addict

I like howling 2.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 2nd May 2016, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I like howling 2.
As do i.
Old 8th May 2016, 02:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Dredd (2012 )

Dredd (2012 )

It may be my imagination but there seemed little love for this new interpretation of the 2000 AD lawgiver.In fact the rumoured sequels were quashed after the money men decided that the first film did not make enough at the box office,especially when you compared it to the other comic book franchisee out there. It seemed to get a rather lukewarm response in general with only the hardest Judge Dredd fans seemingly enjoying the newest interpretation of the futuristic Dirty Harry. Focusing on the day in the life of rookie Judge , Olivia Thirlby as Judge Cassandra Anderson and her chaperon for the day Karl Urban as Judge Dredd.Unfortunately for the pair of Judge's there called to Peach Trees, a 200-storey tower block in the middle of Block war,headed by Lena Headey as Ma-Ma (Madeline Madrigal) , A crazy ex prostitute now turned drugs baron who is eliminating all her competion by killing off the rival gangs and drug dealers and swamping the market with her new Slo-Mo drug that seems to actual slow time down.With the Judges caught in the middle of a block war they need to escape and call in reinforcements for help,sooner rather than later. Although all the ingredients are here for a more realistic attempt at the 2000 AD universe,the main problem is that the central story by Alex Garland is very formulaic and not from the comic book (well not one I have come across any how) and on top of that its very similar to The Raid (2011) an Indonesian action film with large amounts head kicking and other such macho bollocks.While keeping true to the comic book world of Judge Dredd and also trying to get a mainstream box office hit,was going to be a hard task,there is no flag waving or heroism in the Dredd world,just a relentless shoot out .I get the impression the film-makers think themselves a bit clever and arty with there there film,personally I enjoyed it a lot,but its no more intelligent than Arnies Running Man,file under fun dumb and full bullets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dredd_leadimage.jpg (97.0 KB, 2 views)

Old 8th May 2016, 03:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm no 2000AD enthusiast and i enjoyed both Judge Dredd films like you did.
Old 8th May 2016, 10:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm no 2000AD enthusiast and i enjoyed both Judge Dredd films like you did.
Ditto
Old 13th May 2016, 06:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Predators (2010)

Predators 2010

Royce (Adrien Brody) while out getting his boy Scouts badge for dogging under fire is whisked off to an Alien planet and dumped ceremoniously in some hot sticky jungle,but luckily so have a bunch of other violent criminals and soldiers from all over the planet earth.Producer Robert Rodriguez makes sure that us the viewer knows that this is a re-imagining of the franchise and not a remake,I know this because I kept hearing the words re-imagining,like it was some sort of mantra.With its guns ,guts and muscles its not to far removed from the first two movies,and with a little bit of story tweaking and a some what massive bit of coincidence they even managed to make a connection between this and Arnie's film. The story is a bit on the thin side,in fact its no more than POV shoot em up in most places,but we do get a rather nice assortment of nasty characters. Stans (Walton Goggins) playing southern racist death row prisoner is the highlight,Goggins is terrific at playing scumbags and does his best with the script and dialogue,some of which is very fruity..Lets be honest with any of these movies,the real stars are the Predators themselves,ever since Stan Winston and his crew squeezed Kevin Peter Hall into that outfit,I do not think we have had such an iconic science fiction monster since the great HR Giger gave us his Xenomorph. And Predators is know different,were given four main types "Classic Predator", "Tracker Predator", "Falconer Predator", and "Berserker Predator" each slightly different but all violent killers.You do not watch these films for there in depth characterization and they are never gonna win a BAFTA for best script,but when I look into the files under big dumb fun,what do you see but a whooping great predator chewing his mandibles and saying You're one... *ugly* mother****er!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg predators_movie_poster_international_01.jpg (94.1 KB, 2 views)
J Harker and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 13th May 2016, 06:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Predators 2010
Terrible film, absolutely terrible.

The Predators are an honorable species as shown in Predator, Predator 2 and even Aliens vs Predator. They have customs and rituals which influenced humanity at the dawn of civilization. Not bastardized versions of themselves - Falcon Predator? Give me a break.
Old 13th May 2016, 06:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Terrible film, absolutely terrible.

The Predators are an honorable species as shown in Predator, Predator 2 and even Aliens vs Predator. They have customs and rituals which influenced humanity at the dawn of civilization. Not bastardized versions of themselves - Falcon Predator? Give me a break.
We will have to agree disagree then. POM POM.
J Harker likes this.

Old 13th May 2016, 06:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
We will have to agree disagree then. POM POM.
Yup.

I love the Predator creature.

It's a shame they had to **** about with them don't you think?

I mean take us, humans, that's it humans, we don't have dog humans and hawk humans as well.
Old 13th May 2016, 06:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Yup.

I love the Predator creature.

It's a shame they had to **** about with them don't you think?

I mean take us, humans, that's it humans, we don't have dog humans and hawk humans as well.
err have you ever seen Nord?
Susan Foreman likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!