Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2014, 11:35 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's what it translates as mate!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

'The Terminator' is great. All the sequels suck, big time. Contriving a plot so that Arnie would be the 'good guy' put me off T2 so much that I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it at all.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I think i'm the only person who loves Rise of the Machines. I thought it had some terrific action sequences.

Is it better than the first two? No, but i'm not as familiar with it so it seems fresher.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:46 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I used to prefer 'Judgement Day' but as I have got older (and wiser...?) I much prefer the original now.

I've amended the poll to include 'Salvation', on the off chance that someone stumbling into the thread drunk may want to vote for it.
trebor8273, Vipp and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think i'm the only person who loves Rise of the Machines. I thought it had some terrific action sequences.

Is it better than the first two? No, but i'm not as familiar with it so it seems fresher.
I slightly prefer 'Rise of the Machines' to 'Salvation' but both films are heavily flawed, although both are entertaining to a degree.

I'd rank them:

The Terminator: 9/10
Terminator 2: Judgement Day: 7/10
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines: 5/10
Terminator 4: Salvation: 4/10
Old 27th February 2014, 12:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Default the "Terminator" thread

I'm amazed we already don't have a thread dedicated to this!

Okay my thoughts on the films-

Terminator: Gritty action at its best. it's the darkest of the Terminator films and it shows, kinda like a slasher film tbh (there are similarities). Arnold was really convincing as the killing machine and kicked ass throughout, especially with the Police force at the station. But it has other scenes of action throughout it is really entertaining. The scene with the T-800 emerging from the flames... So epic. 10/10

Terminator 2 Judgement Day: Superior sequel. it's got more action, better effects (CGI put to good and actually convincing use for a change), a great villain that matches the original T-800 in that category, vehicle chases, good characters, epic fights between the Terminators and above all, a better story. This movie never gets old. Never. 10/10

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines: Entertaining. not as good as the first two but it was a good and mostly successful attempt. The action was good, the car chase, while not original, worked well (the scene with Arnold clutching the crane as he crashes through a whole building is the highlight. He funded that scene I heard). The TX was a good villain and quite intimidating at times. The characters weren't as good as the previous leads though. I'd give it an 8/10.

Terminator Salvation: not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, but by no means brilliant or even classic either. I mean they had to abandon the whole set-up with a resistance member/terminator protecting people in the past eventually and tbh, i'm glad they did. They needed a change. I did like some of the action, but the vast amounts of CGI left some of it unappealing. And I barely cared about anyone in it. The first time I watched it, i was just betting if Arnold would show up... And the reveal of the CGI version of him was quite an epic moment, despite the fact it wasn't a really good effect. I'd give it... 6/10.

I can't wait for Terminator Genesis. Arnold is back and Jai Courtney is also present so I'm happy. All i want is one liners (likely) and practical effects (I can dream )
Vipp likes this.
Old 27th February 2014, 11:27 AM
Cult Rookie

I agree with everything you said except the part about ROTM: 8/10 and Salvation: 6/10.

Rise of the Machines is the direct to DVD sequel hands down. Pretty much every scene was garbage and unoriginal except the graveyard scene.

I adored Salvation for trying to be fresh and new were Rise of the Machines feels awkward and embarrassing most of the time because it really is just a rip off of the first two that could afford to have Arnold in it... If you took out Arnold its a cliche copy pasted action flick with no relevance to the rest of the franchise...

My only bash about the original compared to Judgement Day is this:

T800: Very destructible villain wipes out police station head on, drives semi-truck across town with reckless abandon and shows little regard for self preservation even if it means suicide mission (an obvious statement).

T1000: Every way superior villain and virtually indestructible... manages to sneak around the entire movie hiding behind shape-shifting abilities. I just dont get why the T1000 took self preservation so seriously when it almost cant be destroyed in the first place.... but still followed the target into a steel mill filled with molten metal, which happened to be the one thing that could stop it?
Old 22nd April 2014, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Oh yeah!

Terminator: Genesis Starts Filming - IGN
Old 23rd April 2014, 07:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
I'm amazed we already don't have a thread dedicated to this!
There is mate!
Threads merged.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

He's BAD TO THE BONE!

See Arnold Schwarzenegger in FULL Terminator Gear! - Dread Central
Bringer Of Funerals and Vipp like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!