Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   Cult Lab's Ultimate Sci-Fi List (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/12681-cult-labs-ultimate-sci-fi-list.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 436064)
I should ban you right now for including A Shark's Tale in a top anything list... :tsk:

Actually i got it mixed up with Finding Nemo (You can tell how often i watch cartoons) but kept it in the list to make it up to 25.

Anyway, if we do an animation list at any time... my work is done. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436065)
Actually i got it mixed up with Finding Nemo (You can tell how often i watch cartoons) but kept it in the list to make it up to 25.

Anyway if we do an animation list at any time my work is done. :nod:

Pending banning aside, I think I'd struggle composing a Top 25, unless I could shove in a load of shorts, TV cartoons, and TV episodes... all of which likely wouldn't make the overall 'Disney blowjob' of a top 100 anyway.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:53 PM

Team America: World Police, but no South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut?

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 436067)
Team America: World Police, but no South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut?

:o :shocked: :doh:

Goodbye A Sharks Tale. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 436066)
Pending banning aside,

You can't ban mods.

Believe me, i've tried. :tongue1:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436069)
:o :shocked: :doh:

Goodbye A Sharks Tale. ;)

Justice!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th February 2015 07:03 PM

A little late I know, but I've now posted the full list within the first post of the results thread.

Aurora75 6th July 2015 12:48 PM

Great list there. Glad to see Stalker made it in. Sad to see Alphaville didn't make the grade though. Also, there are some in there I would probably switch out for Rollerball but on the whole a very good and not always obvious list.

I find it interesting that the top 3 is pretty much a given to most people though. Is it really that nobody has made a better sci-fi than those in the last 30 years? Seems hard to believe but I'm in complete agreement that they are the best.

Is it some sort of strange nostalgia that puts them as almost untouchable in sci-fi? I think I'm guilty of using them as a subconscious benchmark for any new film I see in that genre (especially Alien). Perhaps they really are just that good and nothing has come that close since. I wanted Intersteller to be on par but although I enjoyed it there was still something lacking for me.

Is there something about them that will mean they will always come top of these lists? Interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th July 2015 01:46 PM

I think it shows they are great films because they have both longevity and popular appeal. When Danny Boyle made Sunshine, he cited 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris and Alien as particular influences. As such, the same cinematic tropes are repeated, but educated viewers recognise the original sources which, in most cases, have yet to be bettered.

Aurora75 6th July 2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 455571)
I think it shows they are great films because they have both longevity and popular appeal. When Danny Boyle made Sunshine, he cited 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris and Alien as particular influences. As such, the same cinematic tropes are repeated, but educated viewers recognise the original sources which, in most cases, have yet to be bettered.

Definitely makes sense. I suppose if you put it in the context of music there are lots of great new bands but often you will say "that's great but sounds a bit like [insert seminal band here]". Until something completely new comes along, there will always be comparisons to the originators of said genre.