Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/13019-hitchhikers-guide-galaxy.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 26th May 2015 03:19 PM

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Oh no, you forgot to celebrate National Towel day yesterday (Monday 25th)?

Don't Panic!

Hit your ship's random button and head back in time!

Here is a thread dedicated to the crazy universe of Douglas Adams, better known as The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Surely one of the greatest works ever to come from British sci-fi, it doesn't get much better than this.

What Hitchhikers things have you seen? Watched the original series? How about the recent film? How many of the books have you read? What about the audio books?

Discuss all things Douglas Adams here....

And remember, the answer is always 42.

So long and thanks for the all fish!

Inspector Abberline 26th May 2015 04:50 PM

good old days

2 Attachment(s)
I remember when I was a young un catching the radio series on Radio 4 on a Sunday afternoon,this wasn't when it was first broadcast,according to Wiki that was 78',this was part of a series of radio comedies they were repeating.I use to record them on my old tape deck and play them constantly,now have this wonderful box set which the Works were selling cheap.

In the end, the complete first series was rebroadcast twice by the BBC in 1978 and once in 1979, as well as on the BBC World Service. The complete second series was rebroadcast once in 1980, and the complete original run of 12 episodes was broadcast twice over a twelve-week period, once from April to June 1981 and the second time from the end of March to the start of June, 1983.

Attachment 164389Attachment 164389

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th May 2015 05:14 PM

I remembered yesterday, but the first thing that came to mind was nothing to do with Douglas Adams, but this character:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7tkqj4zx.jpg

I started watching (re-watching) the third season of Game of Thrones but, when I finish that in a couple of days, I'm going to watch The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV show again – it's been several years since I saw it last.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th May 2015 05:15 PM

I've never seen the TV show and really disliked the film, but the books were excellent. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th May 2015 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 451306)
I've never seen the TV show and really disliked the film, but the books were excellent. :nod:

Perhaps shamefully, I haven't read the books in 20 years, so that's definitely for my summer break 'to do' list, along with the 15+ books I haven't read because I've been too busy studying!

platostotal 26th May 2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 451306)

Then the radio4 series are for you, it has moments that surpass the book and are laugh out loud funny, easily better than the tv and film versions.

platostotal 26th May 2015 08:21 PM

First heard about it as a LP that was rerecorded by the cast, it was excellent so recorded the radio series when it was repeated, read the books(very good) saw the tv show(okay, but nowhere near the audio version) saw the film(weakest of the lot, losing the whole 'British' vibe), I think if you read the books and listen to the radio series you get pretty much what Adams had to say, now just off to make a cup of tea... hope no one minds if I pull this plug out to plug in the kettle...:lol::lol:

iank 27th May 2015 12:26 AM

The books are fun and I love the TV show. The movie wasn't as terrible as I'd expected, but I've only seen it the once and have no particular desire to see it again. The TV series is pretty much the default version for me. :)

Demoncrat 27th May 2015 10:19 AM

So many great moments/characters in all 5 books (don't count that Eoin Colfer one).

But it has to be Marvin and his joie de vivre imo.;)

Aurora75 6th July 2015 01:05 PM

I'm a massive fan of Douglas Adams. Especially the Hitch Hikers Guide Books. In fact I love all the incarnations (radio, tv, books, computer game) except the film which was a bit disapointing.

I find his view of the technology, the world, religion and many other things has probably influenced the way I look at human beings more than any serious literature I have ever read :)

Re-read all the books and watched the tv series again recently and none of it has lost its charm.

I also recently read 'And Another Thing' by Eoin Colfer which I was initially very very sceptical about (and understand its not real HHGTTG), but I actually thought it was rather good. Probably the best praise I can give it is there were times I was reading when I forgot Adams hadn't written it. But still not a patch on the originals.