Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2016, 07:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Satellite in the Sky (1956)

Following tests on a new British design of a high powered aircraft, scientists create the Stardust, a rocket ship that will become the first manned craft into space. The British crew are however joined by an American scientist and it soon becomes clear that the craft is being used to carry out a test on a new super bomb in an attempt to persuade Nations from developing nuclear weapons.

Starring Kieron Moore, Lois Maxwell, Donald Wolfit and Bryan Forbes, Satellite in the Sky should have been an absolute gem, however it's let down by a snail like script which takes an age to get into space and when it does the crew find that Wolfit has betrayed them and are all so civilly British about it all. Wolfit is the other problem. He seems to be in full Lugosi like ham mode. Despite falling short of shouting "Nothing can stop me now!" at times he's cringe worthy. Perhaps he was getting into character as Dr Callistratus for 1958's Blood of the Vampire. Things aren't helped by flat direction which doesn't allow any tension to build, especially at the climax which should have been emotional and nerve shredding but director Paul Dickson fails to encourage any human emotion or drama.

The film sports some terrific model work as well as some real footage of aircraft testing which the production team were allowed to film making it all feel decidedly authentic rather than using stock footage.

Satellite in the Sky ends up merely as a curio when it could have been something rather special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a00d8341d6d8d53ef01348581e6ae970c.jpg (79.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 6th September 2016, 07:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Silent Venom (2009 )

Silent Venom (2009 )

Sam Jackson had it easy with his Snakes on a Plane shenanigans,I would much rather be on a plane with a bunch of snakes than hundreds of feet under water in submarine,like poor old Luke Perry as Lt. Commander James O'Neill. As usual the doctors and scientists have been fannying about with mother nature,Dr. Andrea Swanson ( Krista Allen) and her dodgy assistant Jake,have been doing something with test tubes and snakes venom and hey presto they have managed to engineer a rather angry and fast growing snakes,just what the world needed a deadly venomous snake,and all because the military need new ways to kill people.What do you know the island that there tormenting snakes on,is about to be over run by the Chinese navy doing there military manoeuvres.Oh and before I forget there is a bloody great big mummy snake the size of a house running around the island gobbling up assistants to the doctor.Still help is on the way via Luke Perry and his very old submarine which is on its way to being sold off,a very chubby looking Tom Berenger gives the orders for the rescue of the scientists from the island plus there deadly experiment,which must be kept a military secret from the crew. So guess what happens,as soon as the cargo is loaded,some nosey bugger decides to open one of the specially designed crates and hey presto,before any one can say snakes on a Submarine,there is a boat full of snakes on a submarine,actually 20,but who's counting,apart from the crew. Not forgetting the two genetically engineered snakes who are growing bigger and nastier by the minute. Directed by the thinking man's Al Adamson,Fred Olen Ray yes he of Scalps and Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers fame,makes a competent effort,and even the budget seems quite reasonable considering everything involved here.And while its quite a fun watch there does seem to be a certain lack of tension or terror,even though crew are stuck aboard a submarine with a bunch of snakes and have the whole Chinese navy above them,Im not getting that vibe of pure panic you would get from having Sam Jackson screaming at the top of his lungs.But it was a fun watch and certainly a lot more entertaing than some of Mr Ray's other directorial features,it was just a shame the cast did not put a bit more effort into there performances,perhaps they should of stuck some real snake in there then we would see a bit of that thespian talent from MR Perry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silent_venom_custom.jpg (98.5 KB, 4 views)

Old 6th September 2016, 08:00 PM
Cult Master

when-worlds-collide-movie-poster-1951-1020143829.jpg

Dave Randall is a pilot from South Africa is hired by an astronomer to deliver some top secret photos to some very important colleagues in the U.S. When he arrives he to his shock he discovers what the top secret pictures show. Hurtling through space on a collision course with earth is a newly discovered star called Bellus. When the collision happens they are convinced that it will destroy the planet but there is a solution to save as many people as possible from the impending doom. When the US astronomers take their research to all the top astronomers of the world they are laughed out of the conference when they propose building rockets that will take a number of people into space to find a new home beyond the stars on a newly discovered planet called Zyra.

After this set back Dr. Hendron meets two millionaires Marston and Spiro who hand over all their assets so the rocket can be built. There is no guarantee that when this rocket is constructed that they will make it to Zyra alive. When the build gets underway Dr. Hendron realises that they are running out of money and he approaches an elderly wheelchair-bound tycoon Sydney Stanton to come up with the rest of the money needed but he only agrees to invest if he is guaranteed a place on the ship but the problem is that space is precious so only the young and skilled men and women of the world are needed on the ship. As Bellus approaches earth all hell breaks loose the water levels rise when the polar ice caps collapse into the ocean and volcanoes erupt and crack burning cities to the ground.

Meanwhile back at the construction site of the rocket a meeting is called where it is announced that a lottery will take place to pick who will get a seat on the ship and a chance of survival but as if things are not complicated enough Dr Hendrons daughter has fallen for Dave Randall but is torn between him and her fiance Dr. Tony Drake. Just before take off the remaining people who lost the lottery decide to revolt and take the ship back by force but is it too little too late for the stranded ? Will the select few reach the new world and what awaits them if they do?

Really enjoyable films with some really good acting and no one hamming it up apart from when we are first introduced to Dave Randall he comes across like a real slimeball but soon that disappears and he becomes a compassionate likeable character. I liked the story and the effects are great for the time the only thing that annoyed me was the conclusion of the love triangle i would of expected some fistycuffs to win the love of the lady but it was way too diplomatic for my liking oh well you can't have it all .

Well worth a look 7/10
Old 6th September 2016, 08:21 PM
Cult Master

Tune in tomorrow night for 1950s

1-destination-moon-poster.jpg
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 7th September 2016, 03:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Starship Troopers

Directed by Paul Verhoeven
Written by Edward Neumeier
(Very loosely) Based on the novel by Robert A. Heinlein

In the far future, the world’s nations have settled their differences and joined together to form a new federation. No longer are people divided by race, gender or class – all are equal in a regime that grants exclusive voting rights to those that have severed the federation. However, man is still not at peace as the federation is at war with the planet Klendathu. After the death of his parents, Johnny Rico (Casper Van Dien) joins the military to wage vengeance against the bugs responsible.

Would you like to know more?

Paul Verhoeven’s masterpiece stands alongside his RoboCop as possibly the greatest satire ever filmed. Absolutely ruthless in its execution, it raises a defiant middle finger towards right-wing polemic, American Imperialism and military propaganda. Basically, it annihilates everything the novel stood for. No wonder American audiences rejected it on release.

Verhoeven’s genius was to take the source material and turn it into the most colourful, gosh-darnest blast of fun ever put onto celluloid. Despite the epic scenes of carnage that feature people being ripped apart, burned to death or eaten alive, everyone carries a dazzling smile to rival any toothpaste advertisement. A solemn paragraph in the book that featured a crippled officer is turned into an ode to patriotism. The film displays the absolute madness that is fascism by simply demonstrating how absurd the whole thing is.

The casting is perfect for the material. Now, I’m not saying Van Dien and Denise Richards are going to challenge any established thespians out there (although, I do think Dina Meyers and Neil Patrick Harris are genuinely good), but they work for the film. They look like they stepped out of a model photoshoot and give battle scenes that rival Saving Private Ryan’s opening, a certain sex factor. Of course, this is Verhoeven’s intention as in the totalitarian world of Starship Troopers, war is fun and rewarding. And hot!

Even in the tech department, Starship Troopers is a marvel. The art direction and cinematography hint at the most sarcastic piss-take of Star Trek (everything is made of bright pastels). The rousing score by Basil Poledouris is good enough to make you rise to your feet and place your hand over your heart. And finally, the creature design is extraordinary. Despite being made in 1997, the special effects hold up better than most modern big-budget features. You will believe that the bugs are real!

Starship Troopers is one of the finest films ever made. Every frame is pure joy. Smart, funny, sexy and subversive – Join up now!

P.S. Any film that has both Michael Ironside and Clancy Brown is definitely worth a watch. See Walter Hill's Extreme Prejudice for further evidence.
Old 7th September 2016, 07:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Directed by J.J. Abrams
Written by Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt

Usually, I would start a review with a quick synopsis but honestly, I don’t think I need to. If you’ve seen A New Hope, then you’ve seen this one. Abrams’s film is so slavish to the original that I’m surprised that George Lucas didn’t receive a writing credit besides a token “based on characters by…”.

Things start off promisingly with the introduction of John Boyega’s Finn, a Stormtrooper who opts to flee the Empire. He helps break out a Resistance pilot (Oscar Isaac) in a daring escape that is rather exciting. And that’s when things stop being anyways original.

The film then quickly shifts into a replay of A New Hope’s plot. Scenes are almost copied verbatim, so much so that I expected the cast to turn to the camera and wink. While the well-filmed chase sequences, the stunning desert photography, the decent acting and the welcome return of the original cast do help bring a bit of energy to proceedings, I’m afraid it wasn’t enough.

For starters, the film is too long. The length is only made worse because they are repeating what you’ve already seen before. I was getting a bit bored by the half-way mark and I was almost falling asleep by the ninety-minute mark. What really kills the film is the lack of drama or genuine threat. Characters rattle on about how they need Luke to return but they give no reason why. In fact, the film goes out of its way to show the Resistance doing quite well without him. The whiny main villain (Adam Driver) of the film is a poor substitution for Darth Vader. He might have made for a decent new villain if given a chance, but Abrams desperately wanted his Vader surrogate. As such, the comparisons are inevitable and Driver suffers incredibly.

But it is Rey (Daisy Ridley) that annoyed me the most. I don’t know why but Hollywood seems to have a hard-on for the Mary Sue. And Rey is perhaps Hollywood’s worst attempt yet. She is incapable of making a mistake nor does she need to taught anything. No matter what it is, whether it is piloting the Millennium Falcon with impeccable skill despite never having done so before, or flawlessly harnessing the power of the Force without training, Rey is infallible. I honestly expected a scene where Finn develops a life threatening cancer, and Rey would perform his surgery. By the time the film climaxed in the unavoidable showdown, I didn’t give a shit because the film already told me that Rey would easily win.

But, maybe I’m too harsh on the film. I am not the target audience of this film. I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan. I don’t hold any affection for the original films so I wasn’t too upset by the prequels (they’re bad but ultimately harmless). Maybe Abrams was just trying to appease the fans by reminding them Star Wars used to be fun. And, in that regard, I guess he succeeded. But, I wish he wasn’t afraid to step out of the original trilogy’s shadow. The film is fan-service at best. Eager to give fans what they want but not what they need. But, I suppose that’s why Abrams is cutting million dollar cheques and I’m typing this on a crappy old computer.
Old 7th September 2016, 07:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Guardians of the galaxy

My favorite marvel film and one of the best sci-fi movies of the last decade. Thanks to its none stop action likable characters and story, humor , great soundtrack and double team of Rocket and Groot. A film I never get bored of watching. 9.5/10
Old 7th September 2016, 07:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Sep 6th:

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

A first time watch of this generally very highly praised new installment of the Mad Max franchise is certainly more action packed and plays out like one long road movie, which in itself is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it managed to entertain and certainly kept my eyes fixed to the screen throughout, but at the same time felt a little hollow, over-baked and repetitive... plus a bit video-gamey in places too. Also, love him or hate him, Tom Hardy is no Mel Gibson.

Charlize Theron's performance is where the film really shined for me, her character and performance being the clear stand-out. Fury Road is probably a film I will return to and is certainly easy entertainment with some nice set-pieces, special effects and action peppered throughout but for such a long film nothing much actually happens in terms of story when you step back and look at it once the credits have rolled... and other than the setting it just didn't really feel like a Mad Max film.

69/100
Old 7th September 2016, 07:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Directed by J.J. Abrams
Written by Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt

Usually, I would start a review with a quick synopsis but honestly, I don’t think I need to. If you’ve seen A New Hope, then you’ve seen this one. Abrams’s film is so slavish to the original that I’m surprised that George Lucas didn’t receive a writing credit besides a token “based on characters by…”.

Things start off promisingly with the introduction of John Boyega’s Finn, a Stormtrooper who opts to flee the Empire. He helps break out a Resistance pilot (Oscar Isaac) in a daring escape that is rather exciting. And that’s when things stop being anyways original.

The film then quickly shifts into a replay of A New Hope’s plot. Scenes are almost copied verbatim, so much so that I expected the cast to turn to the camera and wink. While the well-filmed chase sequences, the stunning desert photography, the decent acting and the welcome return of the original cast do help bring a bit of energy to proceedings, I’m afraid it wasn’t enough.

For starters, the film is too long. The length is only made worse because they are repeating what you’ve already seen before. I was getting a bit bored by the half-way mark and I was almost falling asleep by the ninety-minute mark. What really kills the film is the lack of drama or genuine threat. Characters rattle on about how they need Luke to return but they give no reason why. In fact, the film goes out of its way to show the Resistance doing quite well without him. The whiny main villain (Adam Driver) of the film is a poor substitution for Darth Vader. He might have made for a decent new villain if given a chance, but Abrams desperately wanted his Vader surrogate. As such, the comparisons are inevitable and Driver suffers incredibly.

But it is Rey (Daisy Ridley) that annoyed me the most. I don’t know why but Hollywood seems to have a hard-on for the Mary Sue. And Rey is perhaps Hollywood’s worst attempt yet. She is incapable of making a mistake nor does she need to taught anything. No matter what it is, whether it is piloting the Millennium Falcon with impeccable skill despite never having done so before, or flawlessly harnessing the power of the Force without training, Rey is infallible. I honestly expected a scene where Finn develops a life threatening cancer, and Rey would perform his surgery. By the time the film climaxed in the unavoidable showdown, I didn’t give a shit because the film already told me that Rey would easily win.

But, maybe I’m too harsh on the film. I am not the target audience of this film. I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan. I don’t hold any affection for the original films so I wasn’t too upset by the prequels (they’re bad but ultimately harmless). Maybe Abrams was just trying to appease the fans by reminding them Star Wars used to be fun. And, in that regard, I guess he succeeded. But, I wish he wasn’t afraid to step out of the original trilogy’s shadow. The film is fan-service at best. Eager to give fans what they want but not what they need. But, I suppose that’s why Abrams is cutting million dollar cheques and I’m typing this on a crappy old computer.
I thought it was disappointing and i'm probably one of the target audience. I was delighted by the return of Han, Chewie, Leia and all but the rest of it was quite average at best. Han and Chewie's introductory scene aboard the freighter was embarrassing and no better than Jar Jar Binks arsing about, but my main gripe was the villains.

Kylo Ren was some spotty youth, supposedly some sort of Jedi master but he was shite. Three light sabre duels and he lost them all. Two of them to people who didn't know what a light sabre even was. Dark Jedi my arse!
Old 7th September 2016, 07:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Sep 6th:

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

A first time watch of this generally very highly praised new installment of the Mad Max franchise is certainly more action packed and plays out like one long road movie, which in itself is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it managed to entertain and certainly kept my eyes fixed to the screen throughout, but at the same time felt a little hollow, over-baked and repetitive... plus a bit video-gamey in places too. Also, love him or hate him, Tom Hardy is no Mel Gibson.

Charlize Theron's performance is where the film really shined for me, her character and performance being the clear stand-out. Fury Road is probably a film I will return to and is certainly easy entertainment with some nice set-pieces, special effects and action peppered throughout but for such a long film nothing much actually happens in terms of story when you step back and look at it once the credits have rolled... and other than the setting it just didn't really feel like a Mad Max film.

69/100
Made The Force Awakens look like a worldie to me.

29/100

Like this? Share it using the links below!