All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2016, 09:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It always annoyed me they made the Klingons allies. They were a great race of villains with cool looking ships. That's the problem with Star Trek - Way too PC.
Agree with that, at least in ds9 we had episode's in which they went back to their old ways, but in star trek online they are back to being our enemys again
Old 7th September 2016, 10:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Agree with that, at least in ds9 we had episode's in which they went back to their old ways, but in star trek online they are back to being our enemys again
If the Daleks were in Trek they'd turn them into allies no doubt.

You pre-ordered Power of the Daleks yet, Treb?
Old 7th September 2016, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If the Daleks were in Trek they'd turn them into allies no doubt.

You pre-ordered Power of the Daleks yet, Treb?
I have now !
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th September 2016, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I have now !
Can't wait for it to come out.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th September 2016, 01:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star Trek The Voyage Home.

Taking place 6 months after the events of the search for Spock, the enterprise crew in a self imposed exile on Vulcan after the events of the last film. the crew decide to head back to earth to stand trial for what they have done.

Back on earth Kirk's actions have had a serous effect with the Klingon's stating that they will be no peace while Kirk lives. things get even worse when a alien probe of great power begins scanning earth and has a serous and dire effect on the planet and technology. the federation president and Sarek(who arrived at earth to defend Kirk) send out a planet wide distress call warning ships not to approach earth.

while making there way back kirk receives the distress call, the probes signal is found out to be to be aimed at earths oceans and is the song of humpback whales, this turns out to be a problem as they have been extinct since the 21st century. Spock comes up with a plan using his space time calculations that spock invented in the TOS episode tomorrow is yesterday. it works and they arrive at earth in the year 1986. the crew set out to find some whales which the ship detects are coming from within the city of San Francisco and repair the dilithum crystals of the Klingon bird of prey, Uhurha and Chekhov are sent to fix this problem and find a fix by draining radiation from the reactor of the USS ENTEPRISE the carrier. Chekhov not being the best choice for this running around the city asking people where the nuclear whessels are kept! bones,scotty and sulu are sent to find materials to build a whale tank while kirk and spock find two whales at a marine institute and bump into marine biologist Gillian Taylor who they soon enlsited to help them after the whales are released without her knowledge, but before they can set of to get them they first have to rescue Checkov who has been seriously injured while get the radiation to fix the dilitum crystals. once rescued they then rescue the whale who are being hunted once done they set course back to there own time, it succeeds and the probe withdraws.

Kirk and the rest of the crew now face a court martial all charges are drop apart from one disobeying the orders of senior officer which has kirk reduced in rank to captain. the film ends with the crew going to there new command which looks like its going to be the uss excelsior but at the last second the shuttle flys past the excelsior and we see the familiar shape of the enterprise.

probably the most widely knowing and most accessible film to none star trek fans. a lot of fun and looks like the crew had a whale of a time making it as we do watching it. little knowing fact Eddie Murphy was set to be the marine biologist but ended up doing the golden child instead, was also whole back piece for sulu that was cut involving meeting some of his ancestors. 8.7/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10ffbeb4f273b2d6a92af07f2337560868074f3e.jpg (20.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: gif 200_s.gif (59.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg best-star-trek-movies-voyage-home-2.jpg (30.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg george & gracie.JPG (9.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 6.32.13 PM.jpg (51.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ncc-1701-a_star_trek_iv.jpg (67.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg star_trek_iv_the_voyage_home.jpg (29.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Star-Trek-IV-The-Voyage-Home-1986-scrns_27.jpg (36.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Star-Trek-The-Voyage-Home-02.jpg (24.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ST-Voyage-3.jpg (39.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_oagc8zFW3a1qz5sqro1_1280.jpg (95.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th September 2016, 03:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Alien:Resurrection (1997)

Unlike many films, this fourth effort in the Alien franchise, from French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet seems to improve with each subsequent viewing.

Elements i found disappointing at the cinema now seem fine - the human / Xenomorph / Ripley hybrid for a start - Maybe it's due to the fact that other later films would be so disastrously bad - AVP Requiem i'm looking at you. Yes the underwater sequence stands out like a sore thumb due to it's sheer unbelievability, how can people swim underwater for almost five minutes and not drown? However that's basically all i found wrong with it when i went back to the film last night.

In fact there's plenty to love about Alien:Resurrection. Unlike some of the films Jeunet doesn't hide the aliens away. We get to see them and in close up. Jeunet allows his camera to practically study the creatures in depth which always delights me as they are such a wonderful creation.

The film also has a great cast. Back when it originally hit cinemas i wasn't particularly aware of Ron Perlman nor Gary Dourdan and Winona Ryder seemed tragically miscast. Now almost twenty years later and thanks to the brilliance of shows such as Sons of Anarchy and CSI Perlman and Dourdan are familiar and cherished names to me. (Ryder's still miscast though). Sigourney Weaver is still excellent as heroine Ripley, albeit in a much changed persona.

Whilst the film is arguably a more humorous affair than it's predecessors it also possibly ups the violence levels with several moments of strong gore. There's even some sympathy generated by the hybrid creature at the end despite the sight of it biting heads in two, minutes earlier.

Alien Resurrection will always have it's critics and that's fine. However when all's said and done it offers us the best chance to gaze at the Xenomorph creature and it's also an entertaining science fiction/action movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poster-alienres.jpg (32.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th September 2016, 04:31 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Star wars didn't have a half naked Chris Pratt!!

That was the only redeeming feature of Guardians, I found it very tedious!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th September 2016, 04:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That was the only redeeming feature of Guardians, I found it very tedious!
I must be in the minority with liking it or I'm easily pleased. Probably both

Little break from star trek going to watch oblivion which I've not seen but getting positive response from this thread
Justin101 likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th September 2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 8th September 2016, 05:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'm another who likes Alien Resurrection
Old 8th September 2016, 05:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'm another who likes Alien Resurrection
Another one here

Like this? Share it using the links below!