Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2016, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Sep 8th:

The Creation of the Humanoids (1962)

Many years after a nuclear war has destroyed most of human-kind, the survivors have created a new society where much of the work is done by artificial humanoid beings referred to derisively by the humans as 'clickers'. Humans are producing fewer and fewer children and are less than a year away from having more artificial beings than humans. Most vociferous about the evolving situation is the 'Order of Flesh and Blood', an organization that is out to ensure that humans remain dominant. Among them is Captain Kenneth Cragis who becomes very concerned that his sister Esme has formed a relationship with one of the artificial beings...

Interesting post-apocalyptic curio that pitches the man vs. machine struggle within the context of machines becoming the dominant 'species' what with their humanoid appearance and tendencies. Very intelligently written and ahead of its time, I'd definitely recommend this despite the ending being more than a tad predictable - even more so as it seems to have been criminally overlooked.

68/100

The Earth Dies Screaming (1964)

The second part of a '60s sci-fi double-bill, and as alluded to above a seemingly trashy sci-fi flick that actually under the surface is a pretty intelligent and enjoyable film. Hammer stalwart Terence Fisher's direction certainly helps, however a n engrossing story with an air of creepiness and undertones of menace enhance the impact and mood of this one too as a space pilot returns to Earth to find that it under the power of killer robots, the victims' corpses having then been re-animated as controlled slaves of an unknown force.

67/100

Overall a very enjoyable double-bill last night.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 9th September 2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 9th September 2016, 07:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Earth Dies Screaming (1964)

When you think of Terence Fisher, one of British cinemas greats in my opinion you should instantly think of his Hammer film catalogue - Dracula, The Mummy, Curse of Frankenstein and The Devil Rides Out - are all part of a significant canon of classic British horror films directed by Fisher. Among all the Hammer was this curio, The Earth Dies Screaming. A science fiction gem that is often overlooked.

Clocking in at a mere 61 minutes the film romps along following a small band of survivors after an unexplained event left the country's population dead. However this disparate group are not alone as alien robots are also stalking the countryside.

Following one of the most downbeat openings i can recall, Fisher throws us straight into a 70's Doctor Who adventure as it utilizes much of the aspects of 70's Who. The sleepy English village, a race against time,walking corpses, Cybermen...but Fisher and script writer Harry Cross gave us this well before Doctor Who even thought of these ideas, making The Earth Dies Screaming something of a visionary piece of British sci-fi.

Cross's script is simple but intelligent. We don't get any answers as to why and how events took place nor who or what the robots are. Like the characters, we just know they did take place. Also the resolution is worked out through guess work and understanding communication methods rather than on an interplanetary scale.

It's not all brilliant, though much of it is. Lead actress Virginia Field appears to play her role in slow motion, especially when pursued and... No, that's about it. The Earth Dies Screaming is actually rather brilliant.
Old 10th September 2016, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star trek V. 6.7/10

Forbidden Planet. 9.4/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_inline_no55tguSSG1r582r6_500.jpg (56.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (14.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th September 2016, 10:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default This Island Earth [1955]

This Island Earth [1955]

This Island Earth for some unknown reason does not seem to get the same sort of praise as a lot of its counterparts ,from the same era. In fact for me,I think its one of the most influential science fiction movies. For a start any film that has an actor in it called Rex Reason,has to be on to a good thing,not only is he a genius scientist but can also fly a jet plane. Also what about the interocitor,a do it yourself 3-D television for the genius of the house hold to build and communicate with species from other planets.Then there is the Metalunans,especially Jeff Morrow as Exeter,the man that must have inspired those Tefal adverts back in the 1980s. .And one of the coolest looking aliens ever to grace a screen,the Mutant with its blue skin,and enormous bulbous brain like head and giant pinsor like claws,are the stuff of my childish nightmares,that's nightmare's I had as a child not nightmare that are immature,see. Of course the whole premise for the film as that the Metalunans are trying to recruit the top eggheads of planet earth to help them fight there war with the Zagon's,but ultimately they want to re-settle on the planet earth.This Island Earth is very vivid all sorts of ways,the initial story at the start is very mysterious as we do not really know what is going on,but as the story progresses and we get an inkling of what is a foot and we are transported to the planet of Metaluna. The look and feel of the film is very striking,the colours are wonderfully bright and the sets and special effects are splendidly surreal and kind of expressionist in its look and feel. It does not get more 1950's science fiction than this,and who would not name there cat Neutron apart from Jeremy Corbyn of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annex - Reason, Rex (This Island Earth)_01.jpg (91.3 KB, 1 views)

Old 10th September 2016, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
This Island Earth [1955]
Quite possibly the most disappointing film i've ever seen.

Not worst, just disappointing.
Old 10th September 2016, 10:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Quite possibly the most disappointing film i've ever seen.

Not worst, just disappointing.
Well I think its brilliant and you obviously never seen Pearl Harbour then.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 10th September 2016, 11:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Well I think its brilliant and you obviously never seen Pearl Harbour then.
Were you disappointed by Pearl Harbor? It was pretty much what i expected.

However This Island Earth which could have been fantastic had it had loads of alien brain creatures zapping every one. Not a single creature with about two minutes screen time. Can't you see where i'm coming from?

Thank god for Mars Attacks!
Old 11th September 2016, 09:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Escape from the Bronx (Fuga dal Bronx, aka Bronx Warriors 2, aka Escape 2000) (1983,

Escape from the Bronx (Fuga dal Bronx, aka Bronx Warriors 2, aka Escape 2000) (1983, Italy)

It must be good to know that we all survived the apocalypse which happened sometime in the early 1990's,unfortunately for the ones that did survive the Disinfestors are probably coming around any minute with there flame throwers to wipe the rest of us out. Still we all need a hero to paraphrase a Bonnie Tyler song and that comes in the shape of the Italian Stallion Trash or as you and his fans might know him Mark Gregory.With his locks flowing in the wind and his chest a bare,Trash is the governments number one enemy.President Clark (Enio Girolami), wants to tear down the old Bronx and build a glittering new city of the future,unfortunately the old city is full of homeless and vagrants,so to help clean up the city they hire Floyd Wangler (Henry Silva) to basically beat and burn the occupants of the dilapidated city. While the Disinfestors go around setting fire to people,and just generally being nasty,they manage to kill Trash's parents, (for some reason just before Trash mother is incinerated all I could think was that she wearing quite a lot woollen materials which may of been a mistake in hindsight). with the help of an underground rebellion Trash decides to kidnap the President (wait a minute that sounds familiar). While not exactly the most exciting post apocalyptic come Warriors via Escape From New York rip off,It ticks all the boxes,men in silver suits and crash helmets,ridiculous dressed gang members and the ever present threat that the camera crew will be arrested for filming on the streets with no permit.Obviously Henry Silva was just in it for the pay check and poor old Mark Gregory seems to have vanished from the world of film making.Like renewing your Union membership,you sometimes have to watch films like these just to endorse ones cult membership credentials,oh yeah your mates are off down the pub getting pissed and shagging,but you have just watch Bronx Warriors 2,so whose laughing now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg escape_from_bronx_poster_01.jpg (103.3 KB, 1 views)

Old 11th September 2016, 09:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Escape from the Bronx (Fuga dal Bronx, aka Bronx Warriors 2, aka Escape 2000) (1983, Italy)

It must be good to know that we all survived the apocalypse which happened sometime in the early 1990's,unfortunately for the ones that did survive the Disinfestors are probably coming around any minute with there flame throwers to wipe the rest of us out. Still we all need a hero to paraphrase a Bonnie Tyler song and that comes in the shape of the Italian Stallion Trash or as you and his fans might know him Mark Gregory.With his locks flowing in the wind and his chest a bare,Trash is the governments number one enemy.President Clark (Enio Girolami), wants to tear down the old Bronx and build a glittering new city of the future,unfortunately the old city is full of homeless and vagrants,so to help clean up the city they hire Floyd Wangler (Henry Silva) to basically beat and burn the occupants of the dilapidated city. While the Disinfestors go around setting fire to people,and just generally being nasty,they manage to kill Trash's parents, (for some reason just before Trash mother is incinerated all I could think was that she wearing quite a lot woollen materials which may of been a mistake in hindsight). with the help of an underground rebellion Trash decides to kidnap the President (wait a minute that sounds familiar). While not exactly the most exciting post apocalyptic come Warriors via Escape From New York rip off,It ticks all the boxes,men in silver suits and crash helmets,ridiculous dressed gang members and the ever present threat that the camera crew will be arrested for filming on the streets with no permit.Obviously Henry Silva was just in it for the pay check and poor old Mark Gregory seems to have vanished from the world of film making.Like renewing your Union membership,you sometimes have to watch films like these just to endorse ones cult membership credentials,oh yeah your mates are off down the pub getting pissed and shagging,but you have just watch Bronx Warriors 2,so whose laughing now.
Old 12th September 2016, 06:38 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Sep 9th:

Barbarella (1968)

Friday saw a revisit to Barbarella in all its swinging '60s glory, as the 'Queen of the Galaxy' herself sets out to find the evil Durand-Durand whilst getting way-laid by various silly situations along the way.

Jane Fonda is hotter than Satan's bath water and nothing makes much sense in terms of plot - and nor does it have too. Barbarella is a love letter to camp, sexy sci-fi extravagance and is almost as visually stunning as its leading lady is.

69/100

Sep 10th:

Edge of Tomorrow (AKA: Live, Die, Repeat) (2014)

Major Bill Cage is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously demoted and dropped into combat. Cage is killed within minutes, managing to take an alpha alien down with him. He awakens back at the beginning of the same day and is forced to fight and die again... and again - as physical contact with the alien has thrown him into a time loop.

I'm no fan of Tom Cruise. In fact, I feel a lot of his more recent output has been the epitome of Hollywood mediocrity. However, I enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would. It's certainly not mind-blowing by any means, but enjoyed the premise, the pacing was pretty good (despite threatening to run out of steam and getting a little sluggish towards the end), and even Cruise was okay in his role (despite descending into trademark 'cocky shit' at times). The effects weren't too off-putting in the CGI department either, although a little frenetic in places an the dialogue was pretty minimal, sharp and snappy.

Not something I was expecting to like as much as I did, especially as it pitches itself almost as something akin to a video game, but Edge of Tomorrow was a solid sci-fi action vehicle, although whether it holds up as well on repeat viewings is doubtful, it didn't prevent me from enjoying this one a great deal.

71/100

Like this? Share it using the links below!