Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2016, 06:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post

you gave this piece of SH@T Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 69/100,It should of had minus rating,still there is no accounting for taste.
Hear, hear, Inspector.
Old 29th September 2016, 06:59 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I have to say im abit disappointed with some of the low scores you gave some of these films,

Sleeper (1973) - 36/100
Phase IV (1974) - 72/100
Invaders from Mars (1953) - 68/100
Bride of the Monster (1955) - 46/100
Westworld (1973) - 74/100

All deserved higher scores in my opinion,yet you gave this piece of SH@T Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 69/100,It should of had minus rating,still there is no accounting for taste.
I consider 7/10 or equivalents fairly high scores myself!

I guess it depends on how you rate stuff though as I rarely give out 9's and 10's so 7's and 8's would be decent scores from me.

I enjoyed Mad Max for what it was and it pretty much fulfilled my expectations. It certainly doesn't deserve some of the huge praise it seems to attract though, in my opinion. I'm not sure it would hold up as well on a re-watch either.

I really don't like Woody Allen or his films much at all but thought I'd try Sleeper as I'd never seen it before. Despite an interesting premise, Woody was the main drag factor (as usual). Much of the physical 'comedy' came over as cringe-worthy with Woody himself channeling a retarded z-grade version of Chaplin.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 29th September 2016, 07:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

I enjoyed Mad Max for what it was
If a plotless, pointless waste of two hours was what it was, then i also enjoyed it.
Old 29th September 2016, 07:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I really don't like Woody Allen or his films much at all but thought I'd try Sleeper as I'd never seen it before. Despite an interesting premise, Woody was the main drag factor (as usual). Much of the physical 'comedy' came over as cringe-worthy with Woody himself channeling a retarded z-grade version of Chaplin.
I hate you,you know that don't you. I love Sleeper mainly for all the things you hated about it,but i respect your opinion What really pisses me of is the idiots who slag him off just based on all the tabloid bullshit he attracts ,and since he hasn't broken any US laws (he might be abhort as a human who knows,but as a film-maker he is a genius) alot of people are just baseing there views on what tabloid newspapers tell them.....rant over.

Old 29th September 2016, 07:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I hate you,you know that don't you. I love Sleeper mainly for all the things you hated about it,but i respect your opinion What really pisses me of is the idiots who slag him off just based on all the tabloid bullshit he attracts ,and since he hasn't broken any US laws (he might be abhort as a human who knows,but as a film-maker he is a genius) alot of people are just baseing there views on what tabloid newspapers tell them.....rant over.
I'm glad you hate me for a respected opinion!

Yeah, I don't see the point condemning a film-maker based on their personal lives outside of their cinematic career - irrelevant of whether said stories are true or not - and it's all about separating the art from the artist, at least for me. If it came out tomorrow that Jodorowsky enjoys clubbing baby seals to death it wouldn't make me enjoy his films any less or consider him any less a directorial genius.
Old 29th September 2016, 07:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default clubland

Quote:
I'm glad you hate me for a respected opinion!

Yeah, I don't see the point condemning a film-maker based on their personal lives outside of their cinematic career - irrelevant of whether said stories are true or not - and it's all about separating the art from the artist, at least for me. If it came out tomorrow that Jodorowsky enjoys clubbing baby seals to death it wouldn't make me enjoy his films any less or consider him any less a directorial genius.
MEH what have baby seals ever done for us,Jodorowsky gave us El Topo.

Old 29th September 2016, 07:23 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
MEH what have baby seals ever done for us,Jodorowsky gave us El Topo.
Exactly.
Old 29th September 2016, 07:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
What really pisses me of is the idiots who slag him off just based on all the tabloid bullshit he attracts alot of people are just baseing there views on what tabloid newspapers tell them.....rant over.
Quote:
Tabloid headlines...Jodorowsky...surely you jest.

What do you think this is The Only Way is to the Holy Mountain or The Great British Santa Sangre?
Old 29th September 2016, 07:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Going back to Mad Max,the second film is so iconic and almost perfect in every way,it manages to fulfil all the needs of a exploitation film fan wants yet also manages to be a big mainstream film as well,the image of max at the end limping away brings a tear to this festering bloodshot and pustile eye.Not even George Miller could manage to top it with his extended Duran Duran sequel big hair an all. Fury road was a missed opportunity,hopefully they might learn some lessons with the follow up Wasteland but i doubt it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 29th September 2016, 07:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

They should bring back Mel Gibson for a start.

Like this? Share it using the links below!