Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2022, 06:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock. 1984.

The crew of the USS Enterprise risk their careers and steal the now decommissioned Enterprise and head to Genesis to locate Spock's body, while a crew of Klingon's want to steal a weapon and use it.

This one I have only seen once and that was when it was aired on T.V. after the crew just about had their asses handed to them by Khan, Spock's father Sarek played by Mark Lenard wishes for Kirk to bring Spock's body home. Along the way Kruge played brilliantly by Christopher Lloyd wants to find the secret of a weapon and use it.

Leonard Nimoy takes to the directors chair and actually does a decent job and probably kept Mr Shatner in his place and tried to keep him from taking the lime light from everyone else...we all know that would never happen. This was better than I remembered it, mind you T.V. likes to edit things out.

54408470.jpg
Old 1st September 2022, 06:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I watched The Search For Spock along with the other three films that came out with 4k prints last year and absolutely loved it.

It'd been ages since i saw it and didn't really remember much about it. I must admit i preferred it to The Wrath of Khan which i realise is sacrilege.
Old 1st September 2022, 07:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched The Search For Spock along with the other three films that came out with 4k prints last year and absolutely loved it.

It'd been ages since i saw it and didn't really remember much about it. I must admit i preferred it to The Wrath of Khan which i realise is sacrilege.
Wrath Of Khan seems more memorable for Ricardo Montalban portrayal and Kirk shouting out his name
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st September 2022, 07:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Wrath Of Khan seems more memorable for Ricardo Montalban portrayal and Kirk shouting out his name
I prefer Klingons to Khan. Can't wait for The Undiscovered Country to come out on Monday
Justin101 likes this.
Old 1st September 2022, 11:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. 1986.

The crew of the USS Enterprise travel back in time to save Earth from a alien probe, and use Humpback Whales who can communicate with the probe.

The crew use time travel to save the planet and come to present day San Francisco which Spock learns and understand the use of foul language and yes it was kinda a laugh for me to see Spock curse and surprised he never used the middle finger gesture. This was a big box office hit, either fans of the franchise wanted to see the crew in present day, or Whale lovers wanted to see if any animal would be harmed so they can complain (no Whales were harmed). Everyone seemed to be having fun with this except Nimoy who found it hard to be a director and actor in this but pulled it off, this one was enjoyable.

artworks-iEQETG8rIXrD81zx-Tn9dIA-t500x500.jpg
Old 2nd September 2022, 02:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

EScape From L.A. 1996

Snake finds himself in L.A. this time to go to the autonomous island recover a doomsday device and return it within a time limit.

Kurt Russell returns as the one eye outlaw and also co-writer to the Carpenter sequel, here Cliff Robertson plays the president who doesn't need rescuing but the little "Black Box his daughter has needs to be brought back. At first when we see him, he seems to be like a television evangelist and preaching Armageddon will fall upon the sinful city of Los Angeles.

Stacey Keach plays the new police commander who doesn't seem to think much of Plissken being missing while watering his plant as he has faith in him to complete the job. Steve Buscemi plays the local tour guide and has his own commentary map, Pam Grier plays the gang leader and help lead him to big king pin Cuervo Jones played by George Corrafce who wants to take back the American state from a controlled propaganda President.

I know this gets a lot of flack, almost copying it's predecessor, being a bit over the top, not the best original effects but CGI that seem something you would find in a comic book or animation, but certainly enjoyable and does have a good ending.

735719-b.jpg
Old 2nd September 2022, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Flight Of The Navigator. 1986.

12 year old David disappears 1978, 8 years later he re-appears and hasn't aged then a space ship crashes and both incidents are investigated by NASA scientists.

Another feel good 80s science-fiction movie that doesn't go to outer space...only for a brief moment, the journey or flight is centered around earth between America and a glimpse of Tokyo. Joey Cramer play the young David who is taken on a voyage by ship's pilot Max voiced by Pee wee Herman's Paul Reubens who quickly develops a lot of sarcasm and a sense of humour. Howard Hesseman plays the NASA lead doctor who wants to find the answers and at the same time can be a prick. Veronica Cartwright and Cliff De Young play the parents who try to protect their son and at the same time want to find out what has happened.

For a mid 80s film, the effects done by Jeffrey Kleiser seem to be top notch and now they are still effective and none of the CGI crap we get with a good background score by Alan Silvestri.

Flightofnavigatorpost.jpg
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A meteor crash lands on earth and something within takes over a bulldozer and goes on a killing spree as stupid as it sounds but also some how and maybe because of the stupidity of the premises it's enjoyable . Look out for Robert Urich in a early role as Mr Dozers first victim.

Now watching this . For years I've tried remembering a film that's a ripoff of alien that was showing on those great old nights when both BBC and ITV should horrors on a Friday night and up it pops on my YouTube feed. Will it be as good as I remember?
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Invaders From Mars. 1953

A young boy sees a spaceship crash land and soon learns the aliens are taking over the minds of the human population.

This one I have always wanted to see and never managed to get a hold if it but thank god for YouTube. Surprisingly this one shows on how you should listen to a child and believe them which the adults slowly do, back then the budget was probably adequate and director William Cameron Menzies manages to pull off something decent. Luce Potter who played a munchkin in The Wizard of Oz was able to be adored by children yet years later due to costume and make-up basically got kids scared shitless, good going with that one.

MV5BNTkwMjA5MzEtM2M5OC00MzZhLTg4ZDktNTgyMjI4NmFmOTY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMzI2NzU@._V1_.jpg
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Invaders From Mars. 1953

A young boy sees a spaceship crash land and soon learns the aliens are taking over the minds of the human population.

This one I have always wanted to see and never managed to get a hold if it but thank god for YouTube. Surprisingly this one shows on how you should listen to a child and believe them which the adults slowly do, back then the budget was probably adequate and director William Cameron Menzies manages to pull off something decent. Luce Potter who played a munchkin in The Wizard of Oz was able to be adored by children yet years later due to costume and make-up basically got kids scared shitless, good going with that one.

Attachment 241973
Strangely I was going to watch this next!

It is amazing the amount of films that are on YouTube the might not be big names but plenty of hidden gems and cult movies.
MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!