Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2022, 07:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I loved this film as a kid , I watched it so much I wore out the tape!

The story of a young man with dreams of going to collage when this backfires little does he know that fate has something much greater in store when a strange man who turns out to be a alien and Alex could be last hope for the galaxy.

Nick Castle the director of this film is probably better knowing on here for playing the shape in the original Halloween . A highly enjoyable and uplifting movie that I enjoyed just as much as when I watched as a kid. Keep your eye out for a young WIll Weaton blink and you'll miss him. Decades later and I'm still waiting on a sequel.
Old 4th September 2022, 08:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

^ Never seen this. Treb likes it so much i should track down a copy.
Old 4th September 2022, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
^ Never seen this. Treb likes it so much i should track down a copy.
It's very 80s and was one of it not the first CGi for the effects which look amazing back then but not so much now!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 4th September 2022, 08:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It's very 80s and was one of it not the first CGi for the effects which look amazing back then but not so much now!
Just had a quick look on Amazon. Yet another movie without seemingly even a UK dvd release anymore never mind a Blu.
Old 4th September 2022, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just had a quick look on Amazon. Yet another movie without seemingly even a UK dvd release anymore never mind a Blu.
I think it's on YouTube, I got the arrow import.
Old 4th September 2022, 08:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I think it's on YouTube, I got the arrow import.
I've stuck the Arrow and other US release in my wishlist and will have a go if they drop to a price i fancy.
Old 4th September 2022, 08:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Prisoners Of The Lost Universe. 1983.

Three people are transported to a parallel universe and save a race from a warlord.

Very low budget movie with daft sound effects, a guy gets whacked in the nuts and you do hear bells ringing, the set pieces look like they came from a old western movie. A man has a fight with a smaller colossal person that's more comical than it should be but with John Saxon in this, it does make up for it's nonsense. The film is dumb but it is watchable and can at times be entertaining.

Prisoners_of_the_Lost_Universe-378641198-mmed.jpg
Old 5th September 2022, 06:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Andromeda Strain. 1971.

A group of scientists work together to find out what killed a small town's population and how to stop the contagion and discover how a elderly man and a baby managed to survive.

One movie I wasn't really fond of at first but has slowly grown on me over the years that the film was adapted from the novel by Michael Crichton and directed by Robert Wise.

While the movie is outdated with people using typewriters instead of computers, that can be bypassed easily, this is a mixture of tense thriller and a alien disease from a fallen satellite. Arthur Hill, David Wayne, James Olson, and Kate Reid play the scientists chosen to investigate the mystery of what the contagion is and how to find a possible cure in a secret underground bunker. There is a somewhat slow build up then it becomes a good thrilling movie.

AStrainposter.jpg
Old 5th September 2022, 07:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dredd. 2012.

Futuristic city where the law is now governed by law enforcement called "Judges" who uphold the law by being on the spot judge, jury and executioner. Judge Dredd and Rookie Anderson are assigned to a slum building where the drug "Slow-Mo" is made and take down the gangs who operate the building lead by dealer "Mama".

Karl Urban stars the comic book action star as the tough law enforcement officer and Olivia Thirlby as the rookie who is psychic that makes a mish mash pair who find themselves in a closed building dealing with every gang inside and trying to stay alive.

A decent adaptation to the comic with a more serious tone rather than the stupid 90s film with no laughs or humour in it, some comments may give out a smirk but definitely the version fans wanted.

Dredd.jpg
Old 5th September 2022, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Explorers. 1985.

A young boy obsessed with science-fiction movies has a recurring dream and is able to describe a blue print of his dreams. Along with his science geek friend and his computer and a third boy, they build a spaceship and they begin to get signal and try to follow it.

Ethan Hawke, River Phoenix and Jason Presson play the three friends who use a old Waltzer and other stuff from a junk yard to create a home made space ship and introduced to a alien race voiced by Robert Picardo and the aliens can be a laugh. Joe Dante done a decent job with this family friendly movie that can have it's laughs and a small appearance from Dick Miller who goes on the trail of the home made ship.

4186IKO4CdL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!