Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2022, 01:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Total Recall. 1990.

Construction worker Doug Quaid goes to Rekall for a virtual vacation memory of the planet Mars only for it to go wrong and believes he is someone else.

No matter how many times you watch this film it is still entertaining, big Arnie would never get a academy award for his performance as the man who goes to Rekall and realises someone has tampered with his memories. Sharon Stone plays the femme fatale incorporated to be his wife and Rachel Ticotin as the dream girl who seems real enough. Ronny Cox plays the head bad guy who will do anything to take back the planet from the mutants and Michael Ironside as the loyal henchman.

With it being a Verhoeven movie there is plenty of violence and shootouts and nobody is safe from the flying bullets. The make up for the mutants is well done, nothing is quite scary just deformity of being in a polluted atmosphere even with no air the effects for that were good.

MV5BYzU1YmJjMGEtMjY4Yy00MTFlLWE3NTUtNzI3YjkwZTMxZjZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc2NjEyMw@@._V1_.jpg
Old 19th September 2022, 03:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eliminators. 1986.

A former pilot, rebuilt as a part robot called "Mandroid" goes against his creator with a military scientist, a river boat guide and the son of his friend.

This had a feel of Frankenstein to it, a man rebuilt up using parts of a robot and flees away after realising he is to be dismantled, can see why he be a bit upset with a lab assistant who seems to be a bit like Igor. This is pretty harmless for a PG rated film, it has lazer firing, a man has his nuts grabbed in a force feild, cavemen from Neanderthal time, whacky bike chase with a stupid fight scene and Denise Crosby changing her top (yes there is a slight side glance). The acting is decent enough even with Roy Dotrice playing the mad for power scientist. All good fun.

MV5BMTJiZDk4OTktYTE2OC00NjI5LTk1NTctNjMyZmI5Mzk4ODUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 19th September 2022, 05:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Robot Jox. 1989.

In post apocalyptic future, battles are fought using large robots called "Robot Jox". After a incident when spectators are killed, a match between Achilles and and Alexander is declared a draw and a re-match is booked.

Aside from having the late great Stuart Gordon at the directors chair, this film may not be for everyone, this seemed to be made for a family watch then changes to something serious with someone having their brains shot out then goes back to being family friendly. The fight scenes with the robots look animated and very slow motion movement and done to the point of being cheap that the studio went bankrupt. The acting is moderate and no one seems to be putting in a big effort, yet somehow I still manage to enjoy it.

Robot_jox.jpg
Old 19th September 2022, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A small island of the English coast is experiencing a heat wave as will as the heatwave people are dying a scientist ( Christopher Lee) believes it's aliens and if not stopped they could destroy the world. A enjoyable sci-fi directed by Terrance Fisher we also have Peter Cushing who really doesn't seem to do more than sit in the pub.

The original and still the best super tense and claustrophobic as be mentioned it's basically a slasher with the psycho killer replaced by the xenomorph.

While alien was a slasher this is out and out shit blown up action movie that show how you do a powerful female character .

Now watching .

Old 19th September 2022, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I just love this film , it's just so much fun it doesn't take itself seriously. Ryan Reynolds who is basically playing himself plays guy who one day finds out his a NPC in a video game and becomes alive and sets out to win the heart of the woman he loves but finds out all his friends and the world he loves is about to be destroyed by douch bag game designer played by a super annoying Taika Waititi. Chock full of Easter eggs and gaming / popular culture references, I love the scene with captain America shield.

Now watching

Old 19th September 2022, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hands Of Steel. 1986.

Daniel Greene is the new Steve Rogers in this film directed by Martin Dolman who is actually Sergio Martino pretending to be American. John Saxon is the...suppose you can call him the creator of Paco...or re-creator, anyway our hero Paco is given a job to kill a political leader and fails and does a runner only to end up at a motel run by Janet Argen. Big George Eastman is the second arm wrestle champ and bully. Claudio Cassinelli is the hired hitman who never seems to run out of bullets.

This was a bit better watched the second time round, I enjoyed it the first time but this time the films seems better, after the the first 5 mins the pace picks up with a good high tempo score by Claudio Simonetti. The acting is what you would expect, some of it looks dubbed over but it's entertaining.

MV5BYmU2ZTkxNGItZGNiYy00NDM4LWI0OTQtNDU0MDk2ODM2NzcwL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYxNjkxOQ@@.jpg
Old 20th September 2022, 01:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Metropolis. 1927.

In a city sharply divided by working class and city planners, the son of a city official falls in love with a city workers daughter and discovers what goes on underneath the city and the workers.

Silent movies may not be for everyone, Nosferatu is a classic horror, The Wizard Of Oz from 1925 is decent but not as good as the 1939 version and we have Fritz Lang's film entering the Science-Fiction genre. This film was butchered and only the 82 minute feature was the only cut available, watching the 2 hour 30 minute version was amazing. The film may seem to be strange at first with the story but as it goes on it just gets better and better, even with the modern day background score. Two hours of my life I will happy let go by watching this film again with the great direction, acting and the effects used in this.

MV5BMTg5YWIyMWUtZDY5My00Zjc1LTljOTctYmI0MWRmY2M2NmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg
Old 20th September 2022, 03:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brazil. 1985.

In a dystopian future, a bureaucrat for the state becomes a enemy when he is falsely accused of being a terrorist while trying to find the woman of his dreams and rectify a wrongful arrest of someone.

The first watch of this I will admit had me a bit confused as to what was going on and what the plot was actually about, but after this viewing it is certainly more enjoyable. Jonathan Pryce plays Sam Lowry who seems to be in a dead end job and refuses a promotion even though is over bearing mother wants him to have the promotion. Yet he seems infatuated with a dream woman who has a lesser job than what he does and in turn goes against the state.

This film does have some good visual effects that can make it look more futuristic and dystopian at the the same time and seems to borrow elements from other work. I kept thinking this was like 1984, where their system works yet Terry Gilliam's system doesn't and it never will work, there is some good drama mixed in and some comedy whether it be intentional or unintentional, certainly passed a couple of hours.

MV5BMDM0YTM3Y2UtNzY5MC00OTc4LThhZTYtMmM0ZGZjMmU1ZjdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.jpg
Old 20th September 2022, 05:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

They Live. 1988.

Driifter Nada comes across a pair of sunglasses that allows him to see the world and people differently, some are aliens and ready to take over the world.

One surely underrated classic film from John Carpenter that blends action and science-fiction together with a great background score and visual black and white effects that makes it look like a homage to 1950s science-fiction films. Roddy Piper plays the drifter looking for work in L.A. and comes across Keith David who both actors never steal the spot light from each other. The make up effect look like skeletons until the end and then it becomes a bit more comical than horror. Still it's a blast.

p11240_p_v8_ai.jpg
Old 20th September 2022, 05:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
They Live. 1988.
Just bought this on Blu specifically to watch during Sci-Fi September.
MacBlayne and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!