Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2022, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Monster From Green Hell. 1957.

A scientific expedition in Africa investigates a colony of wasps that have come into contact with radiation and grow in size.

Don't you just love these monster movies that everything comes into contact with radiation, insects, animals seem to be the victims, grow in size and generally go after mankind. To be honest the effects in this were far better than the film Stung that came out in 2015 and more believable. I would say this was a fun movie but at times the acting wasn't that great and director using stock footage from a previous film, maybe a second viewing will make me like this one a bit more.

Monstergreen.jpg
Old 29th September 2022, 10:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Gamma People. 1956.

A reporter believes he is onto a story where a local dictator is using gamma rays on children and turning them into his henchman.

This was a strange film, not for the plot but the mix of adding in a serious tone to the science-fiction but also some comedy, with Leslie Phillips as areporter what else would you expect? I wouldn't say this was a great classic film but interesting enough to pass the time but think this was a one off watch movie for me.

gammap49.jpg
Old 30th September 2022, 12:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Amazing Transparent Man. 1960.

A crazed scientist invents a formula that can make people invisible and tries it on a recently escaped prisoner who has other ideas.

Somewhat different take on The Invisible man but doesn't have the same visual effects, nobody wandering about covered in bandages and goggles, this is not a masterpiece or memorable but it is entertaining to a point. The acting is a bit over the top, even though the running time is just under a hour nothing is rushed from start to finish.

p2063_v_h10_aa.jpg
Old 30th September 2022, 01:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

In Time (2011)

A truly original sci-fi tale reminiscent of Philip K Dick where time is the ultimate commodity. Well, original if you haven't seen Logan's Run.

Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried star as polar opposites in a near-future world in which time, rather than money, has become the worlds currency. With the ageing gene switched off, people stop ageing at 25 years old, but there is a catch - they are genetically engineered to live for only one more year beyond 25 unless they can afford to pay to stay alive for longer. The wealthy and corrupt can buy decades at a time, the poor must beg, borrow or steal just to acquire enough hours to make it through the day.

Director Andrew Niccol has previous when it comes to quality science fiction with 97's excellent Gattaca, and In Time is perhaps just as good with almost flawless direction. Justin Timberlake proves what a good actor he's become and Amanda Seyfreid is always worth a watch in my opinion.

The film is fast paced and thrilling with some fine action set pieces playing out against a backdrop of Downtown LA as well as some edge of the seat moments as character's time (Seen as a sort of metre on their fore arm) runs out. Cillian Murphy is a worthy adversary as a piercing eyed Timekeeper hellbent on tracking Timberlake down. Parts of the film remind of a near future Bond epic whilst others are very much in the realms of sci-fi.

Thought provoking and action packed, with a vibrant score from Craig Armstrong, In Time is a cracking bit of sci-fi which i really enjoyed again.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3616_2806.jpg (24.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 30th September 2022 at 01:49 PM.
Old 30th September 2022, 07:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Phantom From 10,000 Leagues. 1955.

A creature terrorizes a sea side community.

A sea side community scared of a monster in the ocean, think this was the inspiration for Jaws and another monster created by radiation so no surprise there. At the start we see the see the front of the monster, did the makers of Doctor Who: The Curse Of Fenric take inspiration for their underwater creature?? For a what seems to be a holiday they only have one row boat that everyone seems to want to use and for the creature itself totally rip off from The Creature From The Black Lagoon, one man in a costume and way too much talky talky. Decent enough for background noise.

Phantomleagues.jpg
Old 30th September 2022, 08:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Phantom From 10,000 Leagues. 1955.

A creature terrorizes a sea side community.

A sea side community scared of a monster in the ocean, think this was the inspiration for Jaws and another monster created by radiation so no surprise there. At the start we see the see the front of the monster, did the makers of Doctor Who: The Curse Of Fenric take inspiration for their underwater creature?? For a what seems to be a holiday they only have one row boat that everyone seems to want to use and for the creature itself totally rip off from The Creature From The Black Lagoon, one man in a costume and way too much talky talky. Decent enough for background noise.

Attachment 242411
You must be subscribed to the same YouTube channel I'm as most of ones you seen are on there . It's vtv free movies.

Highly enjoyable Corman flick that never grows old, it's basically a gory version of whacky races with a message on violence, look out for Sly Stallone and Kreese himself ,
Martin Kove, in a early role.

Always enjoyed this and thought it was underappreciated.

Dennis Quiad plays a washed out test pilot ( Tuck Pendleton) who has one more chance a glory when he is selected for a secret project involving miniaturization, the experiment goes wrong when the lab is attacked and scientists are killed and Tuck is injected into Hypochondriac Martin Short who is probably the star of the show , he has to team up with Tucks ex girlfriend who is played by Meg Ryan who he started dating during filming and later became his wife.

Shame we never saw a sequel which was hinted at, we also have Robert Picardo in a early role. It's very strange to see him with hair!

Starting Halloween marathon a day early with this.

Old 30th September 2022, 08:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Incredible Melting Man. 1977.

A astronaut exposed to cosmic rays from a solar explosion returns to Earth, while he is melting away and begins to look for human flesh to consume.

Thanks to the Vipco dvd release I didn't really enjoy this but after finding (or streamed) a Blu-Ray release this was enjoyable this time round. This does not have the big budget, the acting is a bit campy and a bit of over acting from a nurse running throw the corridors of a hospital. Definitely not one to take too seriously.

The-Incredible-Melting-Man-poster.jpg
Old 30th September 2022, 08:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
You must be subscribed to the same YouTube channel I'm as most of ones you seen are on there . It's vtv free movies
Yeah it is, She Demons got recommended to me and that was it subscribed.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 30th September 2022, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Yeah it is, She Demons got recommended to me and that was it subscribed.
If you like those old radio dramas the late late horror show is a great YouTube channel it has horror, sci-fi, western , Noor, detectives and stuff like the shadow as well as some BBC stuff and the highlight for me shows with Peter Lorre and the great Vincent Price.

Will definitely be listening to some of the horror ones for Halloween.
Old 30th September 2022, 09:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
If you like those old radio dramas the late late horror show is a great YouTube channel it has horror, sci-fi, western , Noor, detectives and stuff like the shadow as well as some BBC stuff and the highlight for me shows with Peter Lorre and the great Vincent Price.

Will definitely be listening to some of the horror ones for Halloween.
I have heard some of those shows and they are quite good

Like this? Share it using the links below!