Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2016, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Same here. I'm not too fond of AvP (might write about that one someday) but almost everything else he's done has been made with enough skill and confidence to be quite decent. Plus, he seems to be a genius at stretching a budget for all it's worth.

But, I do agree with Mark Kermode in that Anderson has proven he can do a lot better and more interesting (Resi: Extinction showed off some clever gags). He should probably start demonstrating this again.
I loved the last Resident Evil film. Retribution was it? The names blend into one. I thought it was a lot of fun which went back to the source material quite nicely, oh and Milla looked stunning as well.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 5th September 2016, 10:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I loved the last Resident Evil film. Retribution was it? The names blend into one. I thought it was a lot of fun which went back to the source material quite nicely, oh and Milla looked stunning as well.
Retribution! That's the one I meant. I still can't believe Anderson pulled that film off with only $60 million. We have all these major cities getting wrecked and flooded (and the effects are incredible). Most filmmakers require nearly $200 million to achieve what that film did.

And, yes, Milla is a goddess. Lucky bastard, that Paul.
Old 6th September 2016, 08:15 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Sep 5th:

The Road (2009)

A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind and water. It is cold enough to crack stones, and, when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the warmer south, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there.

Based on the Cormac McCarthy novel, The Road is a desolate cinematic landscape of greys, browns and blacks resonating despair, which is off-set by the onscreen relationship of father and son and the overwhelming love and desire to survive of these two main characters. Well shot and acted, The Road is one of those films that take a while for your mind digest as it picks over the events that have unfolded onscreen.

70/100

Bride of the Monster (1955)

After all the desolation The Road had to offer I was in the mood for something a little more light-hearted, plus what Sci-Fi binge is complete without some Edward D. Wood Jr.? None I hear you cry. Therefore, I settled on a re-visit of the classic that is Bride of the Monster, wherein most of the cast are fated to get frisky with a rubber octopus.

46/100
Old 6th September 2016, 08:25 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Sep 5th:

The Road (2009)

A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind and water. It is cold enough to crack stones, and, when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the warmer south, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there.

Based on the Cormac McCarthy novel, The Road is a desolate cinematic landscape of greys, browns and blacks resonating despair, which is off-set by the onscreen relationship of father and son and the overwhelming love and desire to survive of these two main characters. Well shot and acted, The Road is one of those films that take a while for your mind digest as it picks over the events that have unfolded onscreen.

70/100
I bought this as soon as the disc came out and I've still not got around to watching it - I know I'll like it too. I might give it a go this week.

Am I right in thinking it has a Nick Cave soundtrack?
nosferatu42 likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th September 2016, 08:28 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Am I right in thinking it has a Nick Cave soundtrack?
It has indeed, which just enhances the mood even more.
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 6th September 2016, 09:13 AM
Cult Addict

The Proposition is another great film with a Nick Cave soundtrack.
Justin101 and MacBlayne like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 6th September 2016, 10:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

12 Monkeys (1996)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (101.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 12 (1).jpg (101.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 12 (2).jpg (106.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 12 (3).jpg (102.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 12 (4).jpg (102.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 12 (5).jpg (100.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 12 (6).jpg (102.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 12 (7).jpg (99.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 6th September 2016, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star trek the wrath of Khan

While charting a planet Pavel Chekhov with is new captain little realising that this is the some planet that Kirk stranded Khan and his crew who tried steal the enterprise and murder its crew( from the TOS episode space seed) they are soon captured by Khan and come under his control, soon learning that they are here to find a subtile planet to test the Genesis device, which can make planets from lifeless place planets and destroy life if used on a planet with life. So khan sets of to get the device and also get revenge on Kirk.

Elsewhere in the galaxy Kirk is on a training cruise when he receives a distress call from Carol Marcus an ex flame of kirks and designer of the Genesis device. Making his way there the enterprise is gadfly damaged by a federation ship which is under the control of Khan. They manage to escape and rescue carol Marcus and her son who also turns out to be kirks son. Once onboard a game of cat and mouse ensures between the two star ship's. The enterprise succeeds but only at the cost of Spock's life.

Probably the most was well knowing along with the voyage home of the original movies. Unlike the motion picture its all very fast paced and a lot more action packed. The directors cut adds a few extra scenes that add to the story the main one being that the young engineering ensign that Scotty brings to the bridge is his nephew. Picture quality of the directors cut seems a improvement over the old theatrical release, the whole battle at the end is still very tense and reminds me of one of those old ww2 submarine films. Still get a tear in my eye at Spock's death scene. 8/10

Khaaaan!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (12.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg download-1.jpg (6.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 960.jpg (62.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg movies-star-trek-wrath-of-khan_1.jpg (55.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (10.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg images-1.jpg (5.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6a5bbeff4bd22dfa4c1a9c6c1b06940b7b7e5974.jpg (17.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg images-2.jpg (8.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg images-3.jpg (6.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Star-Trek-II-The-Wrath-of-Khan-10.jpg (21.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (88.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg star-trek-II-the-wrath-of-khan-william-shatner.jpg (15.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg images-4.jpg (3.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 6th September 2016, 06:04 PM
Cult Master

Im going to watch something in a few minutes i couldn't make up my mind so ill get into the SCItember-FI spirit and watch something Sci-Fi. One problem sorted next problem what to watch
Old 6th September 2016, 06:37 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The soundtrack for Oblivion is fantastic, I'm a huge fan of it (i've never seen the film )

Love the soundtrack myself on the Blu Ray you can listen to the soundtrack over the film works so well together in every scene. Big fan of the film.
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!