Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2022, 09:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Running Man. 1987.

In a dystopian America, the television show The Running Man is the popular game show using convicts pitted against modern gladiators. Convicted policeman Ben Richards is next lined up to play the game.

This has always been great to watch, yeah it's a bit different from the "Bachman" book but it's a Arnie film opposite Mick Fleetwood as the resistance leader and game show host Richard Dawson, with some good kills and typical Arnie one liners what more can you ask for except seeing a guy getting whacked in the nut sack.

MV5BMWU4NzA2OWYtNGQ0MS00YWNkLTg4M2YtZjlkZmY1YmJjMDE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc2NjEyMw@@._V1_.jpg
Old 16th September 2022, 09:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Nice write ups on the Trek films, Treb.

I'd actually forgotten i'd just bought The Undiscovered Country. Put it on my to watch shelf and forgot all about it. Going to watch it either tonight or tomorrow now.
MacBlayne and trebor8273 like this.
Old 17th September 2022, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

When John Boy Walton peaceful planet is attacked by space pirate John Saxon he sets out in his titty ship to find people to defend his planet these include George Peppards space cowboy , robert vaughn retired warlord and Sybil Danning space Valkyrie who's own titties are nearly as big as the ship.

A rip off of magnificent seven and star wars by Roger Corman.

Now watching

Old 17th September 2022, 08:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country (1991)

A cracking Trek movie which brings the Federation into conflict with the Klingons who allege Kirk and McCoy murdered their chancellor whilst on a mission to sign a peace treaty between Earth and the Klingon Empire.

Featuring less banter between the regulars this is a darker entry in the series with added Shakespearean touches courtesy of Christopher Plummer's one eyed General Chang.

Nicholas Meyer's film, his second following 1982's The Wrath of Khan certainly plays on world events of the time (Chernobyl, for one) with Kirk having to face up to his prejudices, although he isn't the only one. Because of this The Undiscovered Country feels like a remarkably modern and literate piece of science fiction which is as relevant now as it was then, if not more so.

It's been a decade at least since i last saw this and i'd forgotten just how good it actually was as both a (highly) superior Star Trek film and indeed science fiction film in it's own right.

As a film it gets pretty much everything right. It's beautifully written and acted with a pacing that's just right. The action is well staged and the quieter moments work well too, whilst the new 4K print looks superb especially the Enterprise and the Klingon Bird of Prey battle cruiser.
Old 17th September 2022, 08:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The guardians of the galaxy are easily my favourite of the marvel movies this is thanks to the likable characters , tounge in cheek humour and the direction of James Gunn .

Here the guardians team up too stop Ronan The Accuser from killing millions , but the real star of the movie is the wonderful soundtrack . A film that shows when marvel have a good cast and director they can get it right something that can't be said of most of the later films.

Now watching.

Old 17th September 2022, 10:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Alien Nation. 1988.

In 1988 Los Angeles is visited by a race of alien species, after three years of quarantine, the aliens known as "Newcomers" are released. Detective Matt Sykes is teamed with newly promoted Sam "George" Francisco to investigate a homicide that be connected to another crime.

Despite it has one or two flaws and racial comments and remarks this one I still have a soft spot for it, ok James Caan doesn't like talking about it and often remarks Mandy Patinkin as being good to work with (even though he is a self confessed diva). The make up for the newcomers is done decently and seem to take ages to apply. Terence Stamp plays the business type and somewhat leader of the alien trying to expose a new drug on the streets. it does seem to have that buddy cope tone to it who seem to be like good cop bad cop that swings in the opposite direction. Still it's entertaining.

MV5BODkwNmNlY2YtY2ZiMS00YjRjLWE5YWEtNjhjMjI1YTY1ZGQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 17th September 2022, 11:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I've never seen Alien Nation.
trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 17th September 2022, 11:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen Alien Nation.
It may not be the best but certainly worth a watch for a quiet Saturday night flick
Old 17th September 2022, 11:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
It may not be the best but certainly worth a watch for a quiet Saturday night flick
Sounds like the sort of thing i could watch sipping a cup of coffee in my slippers after a dog walk on a chilly September Saturday evening.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 18th September 2022, 12:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sounds like the sort of thing i could watch sipping a cup of coffee in my slippers after a dog walk on a chilly September Saturday evening.
Sounds like a plan for you
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!