Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2022, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fantastic Voyage. 1966.

After a scientist is nearly assassinated, a small crew is miniaturized in a submarine and injected into his bloodstream to remove a blood clot from the brain but problems arise.

I'm pretty sure this film was the inspiration for the 80s film Inner Space but this is more serious science-fiction than comedy, for being a 60s film the visual effects are nicely done, the acting is quite good and Requel Welch in a nicely tight fitted body suit, what more can you ask for.

MV5BYzMzM2QwZTEtNmEyZS00NjE1LThhYTItMjFlYjEyM2ExYWQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMzI2NzU@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Critters. 1986.

A group of alien creatures called "Crites" escape from a alien prison transport, steal a spaceship and head to Earth followed by two shape shifting bounty hunters.

Certainly throw back tothe 80s with some science-fiction comedy with this, Amblin brought us Gremlins two years earlier so New Line Cinema thought we can do a creature feature movie with some comedy and have a shape shifter who likes to change into other people. Nothing is to gory and when the Crites attack all you can do is laugh.

Crittersposter.jpg
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Inseminiod. 1981.

A group of space archaeologists find trouble when a female member of their team is impregnated with a alien that turns her homicidal.

Why do I feel I watched a rip-off from Alien that wasn't done by the Italians and actually this was somewhat decent at the same time, space workers land on a planet and things go wrong and someone is impregnated by something awful that grows at a quick rate. The acting in this is strangely enough decent and the film is kept at a decent steady pace. The alien creature does make a good appearance and for the time and budget seems effective but never really has much screen time though.

InseminoidPoster.jpg
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Inseminiod. 1981.

A group of space archaeologists find trouble when a female member of their team is impregnated with a alien that turns her homicidal.

Why do I feel I watched a rip-off from Alien that wasn't done by the Italians and actually this was somewhat decent at the same time, space workers land on a planet and things go wrong and someone is impregnated by something awful that grows at a quick rate. The acting in this is strangely enough decent and the film is kept at a decent steady pace. The alien creature does make a good appearance and for the time and budget seems effective but never really has much screen time though.

Attachment 242293
This is probably heresy to all but real connoisseurs of British horror but i've seen and enjoyed Inseminoid way more times than bloody Alien.
Old 23rd September 2022, 01:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Maximum Overdrive. 1986.

Due to a comet passing by Earth, machines begin to operate on their own, a group of people at a diner try to stay alive when trucks start to terrorize them.

A mid 80s B action, sci-fi, thriller comedy from the mind of Stephen King who made his only directorial debut with this, from the master of horror who said he had fun as a director in the film trailer and never directed a movie again. What is there to hate about this movie...except the annoying bride of course, it had decent acting, good kills and killer trucks. One film that certainly been appreciated over the years.

91rVlf-%2B5FL._AC_SY200_QL15_.jpg
Old 23rd September 2022, 03:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Predator. 1987.

Big Arnie leads his crack team of Mercs into the jungle of South America to rescue a cabinet minister or so he believes and encounters a hostile alien on a hunt of hide and seek. Jesse Ventura, Bill Duke, Shane Black, Richard Chaves and Sonny Landham play the bad ass team while Carl Weathers plays the ex soldier now C.I.A operative who knows the real reason why they are venturing into the jungle.

Estimated budget for this was $15,000,000. but it took in alot more worldwide and not surprising when you look at the known cast members and brilliant visual effects used. The film is about 35 years old and still attracts a good audience and never gets boring no matter how many times you watch it.

s-l500.jpg
Old 23rd September 2022, 04:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Maximum Overdrive. 1986.

Attachment 242295
Saw this about a decade ago with a friend. We heard it was a campy laugh, so we had a few pints, and threw it on.

We were bored out of minds. Apart from the hilarious Stephen King cameo, it's a blandly acted and stiffly directed slog.

Cracking trailer, though!

Old 23rd September 2022, 05:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Storage 24. 2012.

When a military plane crashes in London and the city goes into lockdow, a group of people become stuck in a storage facility with a alien.

I know some people have mixed feelings about the actor and writer of this but he did try to create something decent, mixed with claustrophobic, atmospheric, nowhere to run or hide, somewhat good but not so good character build up. The plot to this sounds daft and shouldn't work but strangely it does, even with the old guy who is hiding/living there seems a bit of a hoot. The alien creature is done with old school effects, someone in a decent costume with one or two nice kills.

s-l600.jpg
Old 23rd September 2022, 08:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Alone In The Dark. 2005.

A detective of the paranormal tries to unravel a mystery of the death of his friend and uncovers a artifact that can bring forces of darkness to live again.

I first saw this about 10 years ago and really couldn't quite grasp it, Stephen Dorff and Christian Slater both decent good actors in a film and should really work but i'm still baffled, are these shadow things monsters or aliens? With the title it does have a dark atmosphere, with the lights out it can be sore on the eyes, lights on and you hardly see shit so more strain on the eyes. Tara Reid's character seems to be a paleontologist then part switches to a demonologist then back again. Maybe a third watch at some point. I remeber seeing the second one but can't remember much about it.

MV5BMTIxNDI5ODY2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQ1NzcyMQ@@._V1_QL75_UX190_CR0,0,190,281_.jpg
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Gravity (2013)

A gripping and at times scary film showcasing one woman (Sandra Bullock) alone in space after her fellow crew members and their space shuttle are destroyed by high speed space debris.

Superbly directed by Alfonso CuarĂ³n this is a visually stunning and highly immersive experience so much so as you'd think you too were in space at the mercy of endless nothingness. It's simple in concept yet utterly terrifying watching it play out during the first forty or so minutes. It's only when Bullock manages to board the Soyuz space craft do you feel able to breathe properly again.

For me Gravity is a far more intense experience than other movies set in space where no one can hear you scream.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120638R1.jpg (91.7 KB, 1 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!