Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Rutger Hauer double

Global warming has flooded most of London but it has greater problems someone or something is killing people by ripping out there hearts. But luckily Rutger Hauer is on the job as tough as nails cop Harley Stone who is teamed up with rookie Dick Durkin.

Sort of a alien ripoff with supernatural elements, enjoyable largely thanks to the late great Hauer.

Probably Hauer most iconic role. Here he plays a replicant artificial humans who are more or less slaves who are used for dangerous jobs. Blade runner Decker ( Harrison Ford) is sent too hunt down him and his friends down.

A film I never get bored of seeing , the 4k looks and sounds fantastic and it's visual stunning with a great soundtrack by Vangelis.

Now watching

Old 23rd September 2022, 10:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mimic. 1997.

After a virus breaks out, a entomologist creates a insect to kill cockroaches that are carrying the disease. Three years later the insect returns to kill mankind.

This was adecent little science-fiction chiller from directer Guillermo del Toro who initially had problems with producers yet managed to soldier on and give us something interesting. From start to finish the cast with Mira Sorvino and Jeremy Northam is quite good, F. Murray Abraham has a more small cameo role than a big starring role and Charles S. Dutton as the tough subway officer. There is quite a dark atmospheric tone especially in the sewers and subway scenes and a dread of claustrophobia mixed in nicely.

5155KMqTqGL._AC_.jpg
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Monster From The Ocean Floor. 1954.

While holidaying in Mexico, Julie spots a creature rising from the water and reports it but no one takes her seriously. She teams up with a marine biologist in a attempt to track down what she saw.

A very early creature feature from film maker Roger Corman, with some of his other creature films this does not have the greatest of budgets so don't expect anything spectacular, the one eyed monster was probably a scary thing back then but mere laughable now but the makers did try their best. Cutting in at just over a hour this was something that was entertaining. If you got a hour to spare this will help pass the time.

220px-Monster_from_the_Ocean_Floor_FilmPoster.jpeg
Old 24th September 2022, 01:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Of The Creeps. 1986.

Total homage to 50s science- fiction and zombies movies with a twist of cheesy comedy and a serious tone to it, Tom Atkins is the perfect detective who has the greatest line when answering the phone. Jason Lively who we know from European Vacation film plays the accident prone unlikely hero who manages to help save the day. Good classic Fred Dekker flick.

Nightofthecreepsposter.jpg
Old 24th September 2022, 08:56 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Gravity (2013)

For me Gravity is a far more intense experience than other movies set in space where no one can hear you scream.
It's a triumph of vision and directorial skill, an intense and gripping film.

I generally don't like 3D films, but remember watching the 3D showing of that at the cinema – it was a very effective use of the stereoscopic format.
Old 24th September 2022, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Robocop. 2014.

When original director Paul Verhoeven said he was skeptical of the film being remade, think everyone was skeptical, and when it was announced it was to be a PG-13 rating, that was a warning that it would never be as good as the original. Director Jose Padilha and lead actor Joel Kinnaman fought for a R rated they knew what the audience wanted and lost a great battle with usual high up executives interference.

Having Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson and Jackie Earle Haley signing up to make the movie should have gave us hope that it be good, every one does try their best with some good visual effects but this just falls flat, I know I have seen this a few times but never gets any better for me.

plastic-frame-robocop-2014-one-sheet-i16653.jpg
Old 24th September 2022, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

She Demons. 1958.

A group of castaways on a tropical island are captured by a former Nazi Colonel and a small group of women held prisoner for experiments.

I had never seen nor had any high hopes for this, this is very low budget but has all the decent hallmarks of a good B movie, tropical island, girls in bikinis as slaves...could this film be the inspiration of the Nazi exploitation movies we have come to love and maybe hate and deformed monsters. The acting is not the best at times but everyone does try to make it work. One that is certainly worth a glance or two at.

Shedemonpos.jpg
Old 24th September 2022, 07:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A sequel that's just as good as the original. Here Ryan Gosling plays K/ Joe a blade runner who just happens too also be a replicant. While hunting down a replicant he discovers a body that turns out to be a replicant that was pregnant, this has huge consequences for the world with those wanting to find and kill the child and those wanting to save it, Joe sets out to find it and along the way he finds it leads towards a certain someone called Deckard.

Just as visual stunning and the first with another wonderful soundtrack. As the film goes on the replicants seem more human than most of the humans we meet.

Just a shame it did poorly at the box office, was setting up for a sequel but just shows that a lot of people just don't have the attention span nowadays for a movie like this.

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 24th September 2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 24th September 2022, 11:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Revenge Of The Creature. 1955.

Jack Arnold returns for the sequel, reports of the Gil Man have caused a few people to go out and find it, not to kill it but to capture it alive and have it displayed at a aquarium. While the Gil Man is on display he gets a bit upset and manages to escape causing panic.

Like the previous film you can't fault the underwater photography, for it's time this would have been amazing to see first hand but we can only visualize what the audience felt. This seems to lack the shock, terror and atmosphere but seems to go towards a love story between the leading lady and the monster, ok he may not know how to ask her out and ends up becoming a stalker. This was a decent sequel.

MV5BMTU5NDg1NjQ1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzMzNTQ1MjE@._V1_.jpg
Old 24th September 2022, 11:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Soldier. 1998.

A baby picked from birth to be trained as a soldier is deemed obsolete and dumped on a planet. Taken in by civilians of the planet, he stands with them when the new breed of soldiers start invading.

I have always felt this film was very underrated, a new breed of soldiers come in under the command of Jason Isaacs and takes over from Gary Busey's squad lead by Kurt Russell who is dumped on a planet and taken in by Sean Pertwee and his family and community. It has a good build up from the start with introducing the characters and the people on the planet and the good war towards the end. The acting from everyone is strong even with Busey and his "Daddy's" stories are a bit of a laugh but able to be serious at the same time.

Soldier_%281998%29_poster.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!