Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2022, 01:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sphere. 1998.

A crack team of scientist are sent 1000 feet below the surface when a spaceship is found and try to discover it's origins.

Dustin Hoffman, Samuel L. Jackson, Liev Schreiber and Sharon Stone (in a 90s film and manages to keep her clothes on) play the selected group of different backgrounds sent in to discover what lies below. My dad had this tape and I tried to watch it but got bored halfway through, jump to tonight and managed to get through it this time.

Something been lying and lost for some time and is found out to be a space ship that has no crew on board or as Samuel says "Little Green Men" but a self aware computer. I have no idea about the original source novel but seems to play on the mind of the group with hallucinations, supernatural powers and plenty of psychological terror. Will admit the film started off well but seems a bit all over the place towards the end.

Spheremovieposter.jpg
Old 25th September 2022, 12:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I saw both Sphere and Soldier at the cinema. Would love a nice UK Blu of Soldier. As you say it's very underrated. I hope Russell wasn't paid by the word.

Sphere is a film i think i should like more than i do. I seem to recall enjoying the novel by Michael Crichton, but the film like you say seems to lose itself totally in it's final third.
MacBlayne, Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 25th September 2022, 06:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Girl With All The Gifts. 2016.

In a dystopian future after a fungal disease is released and turning the human population into zombies called "Hungries". A teacher, scientist and two soldiers embark on a journey of survival after their base is targeted with a young girl called Melanie who is infected.

This was interesting start to the film with a young girl almost strapping herself to a wheelchair and taken to a classroom, talk about making kids pay attention in school then uncover why they are strapped in. Gemma Arterton plays the school teacher who grows attached to the young female lead. Paddy Considine play the army Sergeant who disapproves of the unlikely friendship and seems to enjoy tormenting the children. Glenn Close plays the lead doctor who thinks the infected hold the key to finding a cure.

Set in London but mostly seen in the back streets of someplace unlike 28 Days Later there is no one going about shouting "Hello" and some landmarks seen, the film makers had a good way of showing a ghost town by using Prypiyat to double for ariel shots and make it look like London. The acting can be a hit or a miss at times but does have some good tense moments added in.

1521195-b.jpg
Old 25th September 2022, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Swamp Thing. 1982.

A research scientist dealing with a special chemical is turned into a plant based monster.

A young Ray Wise plays the scientist working by a bayou swamp and exposed to the chemical he is working on and uses his new features for revenge. Louis Jordan plays the evil guy who wants the formula, then decides he wants the creature to replicate the formula and begins a cat and mouse game. Adrienne Barbeau plays the female lead and somewhat love attraction and you can see why when she goes for a dip in the water.

After having three good theatrical films released this seems unusual for Wes Craven to do a DC comic based film, we can't blame him for trying something new and never really had much freedom to do what he wanted with this, critic Roger Ebert partly called it a "Guilty Pleasure" of a film and for some of us it is, for me anyway it is a guilty pleasure.

large_MQG0XuWjfdsPm9upD5aZ0atMAx.jpg
Old 25th September 2022, 08:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Burst Machine Girl (2019, Yoki Kobayashi)

Set in a carnival. It writes itself really. I need a break once in a while too you know
Under 80 mins!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th September 2022, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Invisible Man. 1933

Claude Rains as the scientist who is turned invisible and begins to loose his mind and becomes a little bit insane, guess there was no female changing rooms back in them days for him to keep his sanity and have a sneaky peek or have I just got a crude mind

This film for it's age never gets boring with every viewing, it just gets better and better, James Whale who brought us Frankenstein knew how to create terror with brilliant effects in this film that show you can do wonders back then and make old school effects stand out better than today's effects.

230px-The_Invisible_Man_%281933%29_poster.jpg
Old 26th September 2022, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Thing From Another World. 1951.

Scientists and American Air Force officials based in a Arctic outpost fend off a alien organism.

At 69 years of age this original still holds up, the sense and dread of paranoia is built up well, the acting is always brilliant, the romance part seems a bit daft and tends to go on for a bit longer than necessary with Captain Henry, ok Margaret Sheridan was nice looking and may keep your blood warm. James Arness is the almost 7 foot alien that seems to be indestructible, at first you want to see the alien but then again you don't as his on screen appearance can be scary. Nicely made atmospheric Sci-Fi chiller.

s-l400.jpg
Old 26th September 2022, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The film opens up basically telling us that cryogenics is evil and the work of Satan .

The films starts with a man going to a cyrogenics lab and placing his wife in cyro, sometime later at the lab there is a power cut and for some reason the cyro tubes are taking outside and get hit by lightning this turns the people inside to blood thirsty zombie's but luckily Grizzly Addams himself minus his bear is on hand as security guard to save the day he is joined by Linda Blair.

Nothing spectacular but enjoyable and stupid.

Know a lot of people didn't rate it but I really enjoyed it and for me it's the best since the original we have a likable lead and really enjoyed the setting and scenery is spectacular with some good gore and kills.

Last edited by trebor8273; 26th September 2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 26th September 2022, 08:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Philadelphia Experiment. 1984.

In 1943 the U.S,. Navy experiments with a cloaking experiment to make ships appear invisible, two sailors are projected 40 years into the future and try to figure out how to return to their own time.

80s time travel film based on a somewhat "Conspiracy Theory" that happened back in 1943 and this is combined science-fiction with the possibility it may have happened with some chessey daft looking effects mixed in with some decent acting. Michael Pare and Bobby Di Cicco play the two sailors stranded out of their time and meet Nancy Allen who tries to help them with the present and get back to the past. The film was enjoyable but just had one of those daft finale's.

Philadelphia_experiment.jpg
Old 26th September 2022, 11:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Neanderthal Man. 1953.

Professor Groves tries to cross genetic with a saber Tooth Tiger and a man.

We got another mad scientist movie this time played by Robert Shayne who tries to prove a theory right, in his mind it can work but doesn't go the way he wants it to and creates a slight abomination. I have never actually seen this before and yes it's a YT movie, may not be the best shock Sci-Fi horror flick but it decent enough for another viewing at some point.

908800274_ML_NOPAD.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!