Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2009, 07:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The Post Apocalypse Thread

At the beginning of the decade of self indulgence,otherwise known as the eighties,two films were released that earned enough money and critical success to have low budget filmakers reaching for the shoulder pads,motorbike leathers and studded belts all around the world.

The films in question were of course Carpenter's Escape From New York and Miller's Mad Max 2/The Road Warrior.If the original Mad Max gave us the run up to doomsday,then The Road Warrior gave us the full-blown apocalyptic wasteland.

Anyone who is a fan of Spaghetti westerns may notice the similarities between these films,and Miller's futuristic western.The lone hero,wandering the wasteland in search of civilization,the next best thing.The community,struggling against the maraurders,the bastard offspring of the nuclear ashes.

Carpenter's Loner,Snake,is slightly different,in that he is sent in to the nucleus of the scum,the dregs of humanity,sent in under duress in order to rescue someone.

Enter the low-budget fim moguls.

To jump on the Road Warrior bandwagon must have been a tasty proposition.A wide open space,some modified scrap cars,a handful of stuntmen,some cheaply made costumes,some good explosions and hey presto!The advertising and artwork/slogan machine kicks in to gear.
Similarities in doing the 'Fallen city' apocalypse scenario.Basically the same ingredients as above,with the exception that it is shot in a desolate,ruined part of a city or a disused industrial site,victim to an ecconomic holocaust,rather than a nuclear one.

No one can deny that these films are not cheaply made in comparison to the big two named above,but no one can deny either that they aren't hugely entertaining either.
Mad scripts,mad haircuts and makeup,mad stunts and mad costumes.Over the top violence;exploding bodies,decapitations and flattened and broken bodies.

These are the post apocalyptic films we love.And with SHAMELESS releasing THE BRONX WARRIORS,ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX and THE NEW BARBARIANS,what better excuse to kick off a Post Apocalyptic thread?
Hopefully Shameless have access to more of these 'mad gems' and intend to release them.
So let's hear what other films in this genre you'd like to see or you've enjoyed in the past.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th November 2009, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fave PA film has to be 2019:After the Fall of New York. Good action sequences, sexy villain (the lass who was also in New Barbarians), gore and a cool synth score.

I would love Shameless to release Fulci's New Gladiators. The Troma dvd i had was awful.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 30th November 2009, 07:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yep,2019 was mental and had quite a bit of gore in it.I have that Troma disc but haven't watched it.I take it the quality's bollocks then ?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th November 2009, 07:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Its Vipco 'digitally remastered' quality!

Old 30th November 2009, 07:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Oh dear.
Even the Aussies got in the PA action.I suppose TURKEY SHOOT and DEAD END DRIVE IN count as well.

What other Italian gems have Shameless access to?

Old 30th November 2009, 08:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Here's a couple of classy suggestions from talented members....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1255353946024794900.jpg (92.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ENDGAME.jpg (76.4 KB, 16 views)

Old 30th November 2009, 08:19 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Why thank you Mr Reaper.I've been called a great many things before but never talented
Old 30th November 2009, 08:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Credit where credit's due sir.
And I'll blow some more sunshine up your backside if you provide us some more PA covers on here mate.....

Old 30th November 2009, 08:26 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Feel free....the covers i mean,not blowing anything up anywhere lol
Old 30th November 2009, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Any chance of a New Gladiators cover?

Like this? Share it using the links below!