Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2019, 08:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

I don't think there was an American audience at that point!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th August 2019, 11:04 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 125

He's back and it's about time. Paul McGann as the eighth Doctor from the 1996 tv movie episode.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dw7.jpg (94.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 10th August 2019, 05:59 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Girl In The Fireplace
Mickey: Is this like normal for you? Is this an average day?
Rose: Life with the Doctor, Mickey? No more average days.
(They stop by a large window.)
Mickey: It's France again. We can see France.
Rose: I think we're looking through a mirror.
(Louis enters the room beyond, with two men.)
Mickey: Blimey, look at this guy. Who does he think he is?
The Doctor: The King of France.
Rose: Oh, here's trouble. What you been up to?
The Doctor: Oh, this and that. Became the imaginary friend of a future French aristocrat, picked a fight with a clockwork man. (Neigh.) Oh, and I met a horse.
Mickey: What's a horse doing on a spaceship?
The Doctor: Mickey, what's pre-Revolutionary France doing on a spaceship? Get a little perspective

The Doctor: What's happened to the crew? Where are they?
Droid: We did not have the parts.
The Doctor: There should have been over fifty people on your ship. Where did they go?
Droid: We did not have the parts.
The Doctor: Fifty people don't just disappear. Where. Oh. You didn't have the parts, so you used the crew.
Mickey: The crew?
Rose: We found a camera with an eye in it, and there was a heart wired in to machinery.
The Doctor: It was just doing what it was programmed to. Repairing the ship any way it can, with whatever it could find. No one told it the crew weren't on the menu. What did you say the flight deck smelt of?
Rose: Someone cooking.
The Doctor: Flesh plus heat. Barbecue.

(Rose and Mickey are strapped to slanted tables, opposite the Tardis. Many androids are present.)
Rose: What's going on? Doctor?
Mickey: Rose? They're going to chop us up, just like the crew. They're going to chop us up and stick us all over their stupid spaceship. And where's the Doctor? Where's the precious Doctor now? He's been gone for flipping hours, that's where he is!
Droid: You are compatible.
Rose: Well, you might want to think about that. You really, really, might, because me and Mickey, we didn't come here alone. Oh no. And trust me, you wouldn't want to mess with our designated driver. (The android extends his blade, with a little cogged wheel spinning at the end.) Ever heard of the Daleks? Remember them? They had a name for our friend. They had myths about him, and a name. They called him the
(Crash, bang. Drunken voice off, singing.)
The Doctor [OC]: I could've danced all night, I could've danced all night
Rose: They called him the. They called him the, the
(The Doctor sways in, carrying a goblet and wearing his tie around his head.)
The Doctor: And still have begged for more. I could've spread my wings and done a thou. Have you met the French? My god, they know how to party.
Rose: Oh, look at what the cat dragged in. The Oncoming Storm.
The Doctor: Oh, you sound just like your mother.
Rose: What've you been doing? Where've you been?
The Doctor: Well, among other things, I think just invented the banana daiquiri a few centuries early. Do you know, they've never even seen a banana before. Always take a banana to a party, Rose. Bananas are good. Oh ho, ho, ho, ho, brilliant. It's you. You're my favourite, you are. You are the best! Do you know why? Because you're so thick. You're Mister Thick Thick Thickity Thick Face from Thicktown, Thickania. And so's your dad. Do you know what they were scanning Reinette's brain for? Her milometer. They want to know how old she is. Know why? Because this ship is thirty seven years old, and they think that when Reinette is thirty seven, when she's complete, then her brain will be compatible. So, that's what you're missing, isn't it, hmm? Command circuit. Your computer. Your ship needs a brain. And for some reason, God knows what, only the brain of Madame de Pompadour will do.
Droid: The brain is compatible.
The Doctor: Compatible? If you believe that, you probably believe this is a glass of wine. (The Doctor removes the android's mask and pours the contents of the goblet into its head. The clockwork seizes up.) Multigrain anti-oil. If it moves, it doesn't. (The Doctor finds the android off switch on the console.) Right, you two, that's enough lying about. Time we got the rest of the ship turned off.
(He frees Rose and Mickey.)
Mickey: Are those things safe?
The Doctor: Yeah. Safe. Safe and thick, way I like them

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 10th August 2019, 10:23 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 126

A scary scarecrow from the 2007 two parter Human Nature / The Family of Blood

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p020hlkk.jpg (94.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 10th August 2019, 10:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I don't think there was an American audience at that point!
For Jodie Whitaker's first series??? Hmmm. As that's what I referred to.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th August 2019, 10:57 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
For Jodie Whitaker's first series??? Hmmm. As that's what I referred to.
Whittaker's first series averaged 1.6m on BBC America whereas Capaldi's final series was 1.3m so it did do better.

I agree that Rosa possibly was pandering to the American market.
Old 10th August 2019, 10:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

"Ah", averaged. As in the "average" for the UK broadcast, which was boosted solely by the first episode and ignores the fact the ratings fell every subsequent episode...

But I was actually talking about the Pertwee era!
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 11th August 2019, 05:11 AM
Cult Master

Rise Of The Cybermen
The Doctor: What're you doing that for?
Mickey: Because you told me to.
The Doctor: When was that?
Mickey: About half an hour ago
The Doctor: Er, you can let go now.
Mickey: Well, how long's it been since I could've stopped?
The Doctor: Ten minutes? Twenty? Twenty nine?
Mickey: You just forgot me!
The Doctor: No, no, no. I was just, I was, I was calibrating. I was just. No, I know exactly what I'm doing.
(And the time rotor blows up.)
Rose: What's happened?
The Doctor: The time vortex is gone. That's impossible. It's just gone. Brace yourself! We're going to crash! (The Tardis comes to a sudden stop, and gas masks drop from the ceiling. The power is off.) Everyone all right? Rose? Mickey?
Mickey: I'm fine. I'm okay. Sorry. Yeah.
The Doctor: She's dead. The Tardis is dead.
Rose: You can fix it?
The Doctor: There's nothing to fix. She's perished. The last Tardis in the universe. Extinct.

Mickey: London, England, Earth. Hold on. (Mickey picks up a discarded newspaper.) First of February this year not exactly far flung, is it?
The Doctor: So this is London.
Mickey: Yep.
The Doctor: Your city.
Mickey: That's the one.
The Doctor: Just as we left it.
Mickey: Bang on.
The Doctor: And that includes the Zeppelins?
Mickey: What the hell?
(Massive airships pass overhead.)
Rose: That's beautiful.
Mickey: Okay, so it's London with a big international Zeppelin festival.
The Doctor: This is not your world.
Mickey: But if the date's the same, it's parallel, right? Am I right? Like a parallel Earth where they've got Zeppelins. Am I right? I'm right, aren't I?
The Doctor: Must be.
Rose: So, a parallel world where
Mickey: Oh, come on. You've seen it on films. Like an alternative to our world where everything's the same but a little bit different, like, I don't know, traffic lights are blue, Tony Blair never got elected.
Rose: And he's still alive. (Rose is staring at an advert for Vitex Lite, cherry flavour, starring Pete Tyler.) A parallel world and my dad's still alive.

Rose: They're people?
The Doctor: They were, until they had all their humanity taken away. That's a living brain jammed inside a cybernetic body, with a heart of steel. All emotions removed.
Rose: Why no emotions?
The Doctor: Because it hurts.

The Doctor: There's nothing we can do.
Rose: My mum's in there!
The Doctor: She is not your mother! Come on!
(A row of Cybermen stop them from running across the lawn. They turn back and run around the side of the house as Pete comes out through the window.)
Rose: Quick! Quick!
(Pete follows the Doctor and Rose. Jackie runs down into the cellar. A Cyberman follows carefully. It's feet are twice as big as the steps.)
The Doctor: Pete, is there a way out?
Pete: The side gates. Who are you? How do you know so much?
The Doctor: You wouldn't believe it in a million years.
(More Cybermen cut them off. Two armed figures come running across the lawn in front of the floodlights.)
Rose: Who's that?
Ricky: Get behind me!
(Ricky and Jake open fire on the Cybermen, but the bullets just bounce off. The Cybermen stop.)
Rose: Oh my God, look at you. (Rose hugs Ricky.) I thought I'd never see you again!
Ricky: Yeah. No offence, sweetheart, but who the hell are you?
Mickey: Rose! That's not me. That's like the other one.
The Doctor: Oh, as if things weren't bad enough, there's two Mickey's.
Ricky: It's Ricky.
Mickey: But there's more of them.
Rose: We're surrounded.
The Doctor: Put the guns down. Bullets won't stop them. (Jake starts shooting. The Doctor stops him.) No! Stop shooting, now. We surrender! Hands up. There's no need to damage us. We're good stock. We volunteer for the upgrade program. Take us to be processed.
Cyberman: You are rogue elements.
The Doctor: But we surrender.
Cyberman: You are incompatible.
The Doctor: But this is a surrender.
Cyberman: You will be deleted.
The Doctor: But we're surrendering! Listen to me, we surrender!
Cyberman: You are inferior. Man will be reborn as Cyberman, but you will perish under maximum deletion.
(The Cybermen hold out their deadly arms towards the group.)
Cybermen: Delete. Delete. Delete!
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 11th August 2019, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 127

A promo image for part 2 of series 7 (2013). The main image is from opening episode The Bells of Saint John, but teasers from future episodes can be seen in the shards of shattering glass.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dw (29).jpg (99.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 12th August 2019, 05:59 AM
Cult Master

The Age Of Steel
(Opposite Battersea Power Station.)
The Doctor: The whole of London's been sealed off, and the entire population's been taken inside that place. To be converted.
Rose: We've got to get in there and shut it down.
Mickey: How do we do that?
The Doctor: Oh, I'll think of something.
Mickey: You're just making this up as you go along.
The Doctor: Yep. But I do it brilliantly.

Lumic [on monitor]: I will bring peace to the world. Everlasting peace. And unity and uniformity.
The Doctor: And imagination? What about that? The one thing that lead you here, imagination, you're killing it dead!
Lumic: What is your name?
The Doctor: I'm the Doctor.
Lumic: A redundant title. Doctors need not exist. Cybermen never sicken.
The Doctor: Yeah, but that's it. That's exactly the point! Oh, Lumic, you're a clever man. I'd call you a genius, except I'm in the room. But everything you've invented, you did to fight your sickness. And that's brilliant. That is so human. But once you get rid of sickness and mortality, then what's there to strive for, eh? The Cybermen won't advance. You'll just stop. You'll stay like this forever. A metal Earth with metal men and metal thoughts, lacking the one thing that makes this planet so alive. People. Ordinary, stupid, brilliant people.
Lumic: You are proud of your emotions.
The Doctor: Oh, yes.
Lumic: Then tell me, Doctor. Have you known grief, and rage, and pain?
The Doctor: Yes. Yes I have.
Lumic: And they hurt?
The Doctor: Oh, yes.
Lumic: I could set you free. Would you not want that? A life without pain?
The Doctor: You might as well kill me.
Lumic: Then I take that option.
The Doctor: It's not yours to take. You're a Cyber Controller. You don't control me or anything with blood in its heart.
Lumic: You have no means of stopping me. I have an army. A species of my own.
The Doctor: You just don't get it, do you? An army's nothing. Because those ordinary people, they're the key. The most ordinary person could change the world.

Rose: Mickey, where'd you learn to fly that thing?
Mickey: Playstation

(The Doctor puts the power cell back into the console, and the Tardis starts to light up.)
Pete: So, what happens inside that thing, then?
Rose: Do you want to see?
Pete: No, I don't think so. But you two, you know, all that stuff you said about different worlds. Who are you?
Rose: It's like you say. Imagine there are different worlds, parallel worlds. Worlds with another Pete Tyler and Jackie Tyler's still alive, and their daughter.
Pete: I've got to go.
Rose: But if you just look inside.
Pete: No, I can't. There's all those Lumic factories out there. All those Cybermen still in storage. Someone's got to tell the authorities what happened, carry on the fight...
The Doctor: Rose? I've only got five minutes of power. We've got to go.
Rose: The Doctor could show you.
Pete: Thank you. For everything.
Rose: Dad.
Pete: Don't. Just, just don't.
(Pete leaves.)
Mickey: Here it is. I found it. Not a crease.
The Doctor: My suit! Good man. Now then, Jake, we've got to run. But one more thing. Mrs Moore. Her real name was Angela Price. She's got a husband out there, and children. Find them. Tell them how she died saving the world.
Jake: Yeah, course I will.
The Doctor: Off we go, then.
Mickey: Er, thing is, I'm staying.
The Doctor: You're doing what?
Rose: You can't.
Mickey: It sort of balances out, because this world lost its Ricky, but there's me. And there's work to be done with all those Cybermen still out there.
Rose: But you can't stay.
Mickey: Rose, my gran's here. She's still alive. My old gran, remember her?
Rose: Yeah.
Mickey: She needs me.
Rose: What about me? What if I need you?
Mickey: Yeah, but Rose, you don't. It's just you and him, isn't it. We had something a long time ago, but not anymore.
Rose: Well, we'll come back. We can travel anywhere. Come and see you, yeah?
The Doctor: We can't. I told you, travel between parallel worlds is impossible. We only got here by accident. We, we fell through a crack in time. When we leave, I've got to close it. We can't ever return.
Mickey: Doctor.
(The Doctor shakes Mickey's hand.)
The Doctor: Take Rose's phone. It's got the code. Get it out there. Stop those factories. And good luck, Mickey the idiot.
Mickey: Watch it. (The Doctor goes back into the Tardis. Rose gives Mickey her phone.) Thanks. We've had a laugh though, haven't we? Seen it all, been there and back. Who would have thought, me and you off the old estate, flying through the stars.
Rose: All those years just sitting there, imagining what we'd do one day. We never saw this, did we?
Mickey: Go on, don't miss your flight. (Rose hugs Mickey, then goes into the Tardis, crying.) Jake, you want to watch this.
(The TARDIS dematerialises.)
Jake: What the hell?
Mickey: That's the Doctor in the Tardis with Rose Tyler.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!