Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 273848)
Hmm. I don't really know what to make of last night's episode. Some bits were good, some not so. It should have been a solo Doctor story as Amy and Rory didn't seem to have anything to do. It was ok, but nothing special.

Pretty much agree with you Mojo.

It was enjoyable, but nothing special. The sets were very good as were all the technical aspects but the story was a bit bland really.

Hawkmonger 17th September 2012 07:29 AM

Yeah. It didn't really feel like it was contributing much. It was good but not amazing. Look's like a Doctor-lite episode next week. And Rory's dad's back! I loved the dynamic between the two of them. :nod:

Mojo 17th September 2012 08:15 AM

I'm looking forward to next week's episode as it features an earth invasion and the return of UNIT, which harks back to the early 70s stories. Fingers crossed for this one.

Roughale 17th September 2012 09:59 AM

I really liked it, despite tghe fact that it was a rather one-off episode. Matt was enjoying it so much and I liked Amy in it, she had 2 good moments and Rory had one, when he looked frustrated as only been seen as "fella" - I giggled at that - gonna miss these two - and to make that feeling stronger, I think gives us the reasoy, why they were there...

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2012 11:39 AM

Some of the early scenes in A Town Called Mercy were brilliantly comic from a spaghetti western point of view.

The Doctor getting the toothpick stuck in his mouth was fun, but the undertaker measuring him for his coffin the minute he walked into the saloon was absolutely priceless. I was belly laughing at that one.

Incidently the undertaker was played by Garrick Hagon who played Ky in the Pertwee story The Mutants.

Roughale 17th September 2012 02:07 PM

I fully agree with Demdike's post and add the soundtrack quotes to it, there were pretty close Morricone tunes in there, close but not the real thing though - absolutely fantastic. Some tumbleweed was also spotted rolling by and all that made it a very good western themed episode.

Susan Foreman 17th September 2012 07:05 PM

The Doctor pulling a gun on someone, and threatening to shoot them?

Pur-leeze! It would NEVER happen!

Mojo 17th September 2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 274009)

That's one of the things I didn't 'get' with this episode. I agree with others here on the positives, but it just didn't gel with me for some reason. Having said that, I am enjoying this series and am not missing any story arc stuff - I'm enjoying these stand alone episodes as they are.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 274009)

Didn't Davison threaten to kill Davros?

At least Colin Baker never tried to strangle a companion.

Hartnell never thought about bludgeoning anyone to death in the Cave of Skulls either.

What i'm trying to say is things do happen, just not so often.

You can't really win, i bet you moaned when he threatened to shoot Daleks with a jammie dodger as well.

Pathetic sarcasm over now, sorry. :)

As a thought, no matter what Matt Smith does it doesn't really get as poor as Tom Baker talking to the viewers in episode one of The Face of Evil.

RedEyeTheCylon 17th September 2012 09:40 PM

Don't forget Pertwee shooting the Ogron in Day of the Daleks too.