Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2019, 01:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 128

Frazer Hines (Jamie McCrimmon) and Patrick Troughton as the Doctor in the 1966 story The Highlanders.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg b08cd14ffa64be2687cc1812d24b09fc67628697.jpg (52.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 12th August 2019, 04:40 PM
Cult Master

Nicola Bryant as Millicent Blackadder in the 1988 'Blackadder Christmas Carol' special

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th August 2019, 05:55 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Idiots Lantern
The Doctor: Lost them. How'd they get away from us?
Rose: Surprised they didn't turn back and arrest you for reckless driving. Have you actually passed your test?
The Doctor: Men in black? Vanishing police cars? This is Churchill's England, not Stalin's Russia.
Rose: Monsters, that boy said. Maybe we should go and ask the neighbours.
The Doctor: That's what I like about you. The domestic approach.
Rose: Thank you. Hold on, was that an insult? Whoa!
(The Doctor zooms off again.)

Eddie: Now then, Rita. I can handle this. This gentleman's a proper representative. Don't mind the wife, she rattles on a bit.
The Doctor: Well, maybe she should rattle on a bit more. I'm not convinced you're doing your patriotic duty. Nice flags. Why are they not flying?
Eddie: There we are Rita, I told you, Get them up. Queen and country.
Rita: I'm sorry.
Eddie: Get it done. Do it now.
The Doctor: Hold on a minute.
Eddie: Like the gentleman says.
The Doctor: Hold on a minute. You've got hands, Mister Connolly. Two big hands. So why is that your wife's job?
Eddie: Well, it's housework, innit?
The Doctor: And that's a woman's job?
Eddie: Of course it is.
The Doctor: Mister Connolly, what gender is the Queen?
Eddie: She's a female.
The Doctor: And are you suggesting the Queen does the housework?
Eddie: No. Not at all.
The Doctor: Then get busy.
Eddie: Right. Yes, sir. You'll be proud of us, sir. We'll have Union Jacks left, right and centre.
Rose: Excuse me, Mister Connolly. Hang on a minute. Union Jacks?
Eddie: Yes, that's right, isn't it?
Rose: That's the Union Flag. It's the Union Jack only when it's flown at sea.
Eddie: Oh. Oh, I'm sorry, I do apologise.
Rose: Well, don't get it wrong again, there's a good man. Now get to it!
The Doctor: Right then! Nice and comfy, at Her Majesty's leisure. Union Flag?
(The Doctor and Rose settle on the sofa.)
Rose: Mum went out with a sailor.
The Doctor: Oh ho ho ho. I bet she did. Anyway, I'm the Doctor and this is Rose, and you are?
Tommy: Tommy.
The Doctor: Well, sit yourself down, Tommy. Have a look at this. I love telly, don't you?
Tommy: Yeah, I think it's brilliant.
The Doctor: Good man! (The man on the TV is showing the viewers the vertebra of an ichthyosaurus.) Keep working, Mister C! Now, why don't you tell me what's wrong?
Rita: Did you say you were a doctor?
The Doctor: Yes, I am.
Rita: Can you help her? Oh please, can you help her, Doctor?
Eddie: Now then, Rita. I don't think the gentleman needs to know
The Doctor: No, the gentleman does.
Rose: Tell us what's wrong, and we can help. (Rita bursts into tears. Rose goes to comfort her.) I'm sorry. It's all right. Come here. It's okay.
Eddie: Hold on a minute. Queen and country's one thing, but this is my house! What the? (He throws the bunting down.) What the hell am I doing? Now you listen here, Doctor. You may have fancy qualifications, but what goes on under my roof is my business.
The Doctor: A lot of people are being bundled into
Eddie: I am talking!
The Doctor: And I'm not listening! Now you, Mister Connolly, you are staring into a deep, dark pit of trouble if you don't let me help. So I'm ordering you, sir! Tell me what's going on!
(Thump. Thump. Thump.)
Eddie: She won't stop. She never stops.
Tommy: We started hearing stories, all round the place. People who've changed. Families keeping it secret because they were scared. Then the police started finding out. We don't know how, no one does. They just turn up, come to the door and take them, any time of the day or night.
The Doctor: Show me.

(As Princess Elizabeth arrives at the Abbey, Magpie makes his way up the transmitter mast. The Doctor is building a contraption while he and Tommy run through the streets.)
Magpie: I cant do this! Please, please don't make me!
Wire: The time is at hand. Feed me! Feed me!
Tommy: There!
The Doctor: Come on!
Guard: Wait, wait, wait! Where do you think
(The Doctor shows him the psychic paper.)
Official: Oh! I'm very sorry, sir. Shouldn't you be at the Coronation?
The Doctor: They're saving me a seat.
Tommy: Who did he think you were?
The Doctor: King of Belgium, apparently.

The Doctor: Start from the beginning. Tell me everything you know.
(Another person is delivered to the holding area.)
Bishop: We started finding them about a month ago. Persons left sans visage. Heads just blank.
The Doctor: Is there any sort of pattern?
Bishop: Yes, spreading out from North London. All over the city. Men, women, kids, grannies. The only real lead is there's been quite a large number in
The Doctor: Florizel Street.
Crabtree: Found another one, sir.
Bishop: Oh, er, good man, Crabtree. Here we are, Doctor. Take a good look. See what you can deduce.
(The pink shoes and skirt tell us even before Crabtree takes the blanket off.)
The Doctor: Rose.
Bishop: You know her?
The Doctor: Know her? She
Crabtree: They found her in the street, apparently, over by Leicester Square, abandoned.
Bishop: That's unusual. That's the first one out in the open. Heaven help us if something happens in public tomorrow for the big day. We'll have Torchwood on our backs then, make no mistake.
The Doctor: They did what?
Bishop: I'm sorry?
The Doctor: They left her where?
Bishop: Just in the street.
The Doctor: In the street. They left her in the street. They took her face and just chucked her out and left her in the street. And as a result, that makes things simple. Very, very simple. Do you know why?
Bishop: No.
The Doctor: Because now, Detective Inspector Bishop, there is no power on this Earth that can stop me. Come on!
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 13th August 2019, 11:18 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 129

An Andrew Skilleter painting of Davros and the Daleks which was among a number of large size laminated prints sold during the mid 80's.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg davros-daleks.jpg (93.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 14th August 2019, 06:39 AM
Cult Master

The Impossible Planet
(Rose goes to get something to eat.)
Scooti: Help yourself. Just don't have the green. Or the blue.
(Rose takes her tray to the serving window.)
Rose: Er, bit of that, thanks.
(It's the blue.)
Ood: Would you like sauce with that?
Rose: I'll have a go, yeah. I did that job once. I was a, a dinner lady. Not that I'm calling you a lady. Although, I don't know, you might be. Do you actually get paid, though? Do they give you money?
Ood: The Beast and his Armies shall rise from the Pit to make war against God.
Rose: I'm sorry?
Ood: Apologies. I said, I hope you enjoy your meal.
Rose: Yeah.

Rose: No signal. That's the first time we've gone out of range. Mind you, even if I could. What would I tell her? Can you build another Tardis?
The Doctor: They were grown, not built. And with my own planet gone, we're kind of stuck.
Rose: Well, it could be worse. This lot said they'd give us a lift.
The Doctor: And then what?
Rose: I don't know. Find a planet, get a job, live a life, same as the rest of the universe.
The Doctor: I'd have to settle down. Get a house or something. A proper house with, with doors and things. Carpets. Me, living in a house. Now that, that is terrifying.
Rose: You'd have to get a mortgage.
The Doctor: No.
Rose: Oh, yes.
The Doctor: I'm dying. That's it. I'm dying. It is all over.
Rose: What about me? I'd have to get one, too. I don't know, could be the same one. We could both, I don't know, share. Or not, you know. Whatever. I don't know. We'll sort something out
The Doctor: Anyway.
Rose: We'll see.
The Doctor: I promised Jackie I'd always take you back home.
Rose: Everyone leaves home in the end.
The Doctor: Not to end up stuck here.
Rose: Yeah, but stuck with you, that's not so bad.

All Ood: He has woven himself in the fabric of your life since the dawn of time. Some may call him Abaddon. Some may call him Kroptor. Some may call him Satan or Lucifer.
Danny: Captain, it's the Ood. They're out of control!
Ood: Or the Bringer of Despair, the Deathless Prince, the Bringer of Night. (One Ood walks up the steps to the catwalk. It releases its globe, which flies to the guard's forehead and electrocutes him.) These are the words that shall set him free.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 15th August 2019, 06:13 AM
Cult Master

The Satan Pit
The Doctor: If you are the Beast, then answer me this. Which one, hmm? Cos the universe has been busy since you've been gone. There's more religions than there are planets in the sky. The Archiphets, Orkology, Christianity, Pash Pash, New Judaism, San Klah, Church of the Tin Vagabond. Which devil are you?
Voice [OC]: All of them.
The Doctor: What, then you're the truth behind the myth?
Voice [OC]: This one knows me as I know him. The killer of his own kind.
The Doctor: How did you end up on this rock?
Voice [OC]: The Disciples of the Light rose up against me and chained me in the pit for all eternity.
The Doctor: When was this?
Voice [OC]: Before time.
The Doctor: What does that mean?
Voice [OC]: Before time.
The Doctor: What does before time mean?
Voice [OC]: Before light and time and space and matter. Before the cataclysm. Before this universe was created.
The Doctor: That's impossible. No life could have existed back then.
Voice [OC]: Is that your religion?
The Doctor: It's a belief.
Voice [OC]: You know nothing. All of you, so small. The Captain, so scared of command. The soldier, haunted by the eyes of his wife. (Jefferson) The scientist, still running from Daddy. (Ida) The little boy who lied. (Danny) The virgin. (Toby) And the lost girl, so far away from home. (Rose) The valiant child who will die in battle so very soon.
Rose: Doctor, what does that mean?
The Doctor: Rose, don't listen.
Rose: What does it mean?
Voice [OC]: You will die and I will live.

The Doctor [OC]: You want voices in the dark? Then listen to mine. That thing is playing on very basic fears. Darkness, childhood nightmares, all that stuff.
Danny: But that's how the devil works.
The Doctor: Or a good psychologist.
Ida: Yeah, but how did it know about my father?
The Doctor: Okay, but what makes his version of the truth any better than mine, hmm? Cos I'll tell you what I can see. Humans. Brilliant humans. Humans who travel all the way across space, flying in a tiny little rocket right into the orbit of a Black hole, just for the sake of discovery. That's amazing!

The Doctor [OC]: Sorry about the hijack, Captain. This is the good ship Tardis. Now, first thing's first. Have you got a Rose Tyler on board?
Rose: I'm here! It's me! Oh, my God. Where are you?
The Doctor [OC]: I'm just towing you home. Gravity schmavity. My people practically invented black holes. Well, in fact, they did. In a couple of minutes, we'll be nice and safe. Oh, and Captain? Can we do a swap? Say, if you give me Rose Tyler, I'll give you Ida Scott? How about that?
MrBarlow likes this.

Old 15th August 2019, 10:58 AM
Cult Master

Space robot?

Space robot???

Old 15th August 2019, 11:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 130

A second photo from Elisabeth Sladen's welcome photo call prior to her appearance in The Time Warrior (1973) along with the Doctor Jon Pertwee and what appears to be a flashlight (or Dalek)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p0145s7w.jpg (81.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 15th August 2019, 11:54 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 131

A piece of artwork for the season 19 blu-ray by Lee Binding, released in 2018.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ea94cacd-4e90-4569-9350-b2adf6f0cf77.jpg (92.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 16th August 2019, 12:11 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
SEASON 4.

Here is where it all peaked though. 6 years ago I really liked The Power of the Daleks and thought The Evil of the Daleks was boring. Times change. I still like Power, albeit less so... And Evil is now the missing story I want back the most. Easily the jewel in the crown for this Season and the only legitimate masterpiece of the 60's Dalek stories, Power comes in at a close second place (The Daleks starts out great but runs out of steam quickly, Dalek Invasion of Earth was decent but over-rated, The Chase is fun but some parts of it are less exciting than others- same applies to The Daleks Master Plan). Its heart breaking that we probably will never see anything more from this one besides the existing episode 2. Great atmosphere. I love the way the story carries us from present-day Earth, into Earth's past and then to Skaro so effortlessly. The Daleks thanks to Whitakers writing really come off well in both this and Power. I like seeing them experimenting, trying to improve any weaknesses they may possess. It's great seeing it play out in 7 episodes, the padding is there but it's all so drenched in atmosphere and flows so well that it isn't an issue for me here.
Maxable is a nasty piece of work. Jamie really shines and the Troughton/Hines double act comes into play. Twice in this story we get two electrifying scenes where Jamie stands up to the Doctor and challenges his authority. Not since Ian and Barbara has any of them done that. I like the fact that Jamie isn't going anywhere for another two seasons...

Last but not least, the Dalek Emperor and the civil war on Skaro, WHY can't we watch this It must have looked amazing. It certainly sounds amazing, Daleks openly questioning their superiors before blasting each other into oblivion as the Doctor eggs them on, The Emperor going nuts as the situation escalates out of control.

I ache to see this story, this and Marco Polo both but this one more-so...
Having just re-watched Evil, I'd say most of this still stands, although I also re-watched Marco Polo. I'd honestly take either one of them back. But I need to re-watch Power as well, Recon and animation.

Like this? Share it using the links below!