Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28655Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2019, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I'm not sure the "human" stuff is really a problem anymore. Faceless Ones isn't really much of a monster fest, and they're doing that!
The thing is now they have animations of that Troughton crew they can just reuse them for any more Troughton stories hence The Faceless Ones being the same team of Pat, Ben, Polly and Jamie

They don't have Hartnell animations or at least not ones that are any good so those stories will prove more complicated and expensive to animate.
Old 15th October 2019, 01:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

True... but they've got to start doing it sometime!
Old 15th October 2019, 05:57 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Night Terrors
Alex: Ever since he was born he's been a funny kid.
The Doctor: Funny's good. We like funny, don't we?
Alex: He never cries. Bottles it all up, I suppose. Tell him off, he just looks at you.
The Doctor: How old is he?
Alex: He was eight in January. I mean, he should be growing out of stuff like this, shouldn't he?
The Doctor: Maybe. It's got worse, though lately?
Alex: Yeah. We talked about getting help. You know, maybe sending him somewhere. He started getting these nervous tics. You know, funny little cough, blinking all the time. But now it's got completely out of hand. I mean, he's scared to death of everything.
The Doctor: Pantaphobia.
Alex: What?
The Doctor: That's what it's called. Pantaphobia. Not a fear of pants though, if that's what you're thinking. It's a fear of everything. Including pants, I suppose, in that case. Sorry. Go on.
Alex: He hates clowns.
The Doctor: Understandable.
Alex: Old toys. He thinks the old lady across the way is a witch. He hates having a bath in case there's something under the water. The lift sounds like someone breathing. Look, I don't know. I'm not an expert. Maybe you can get through to him.
The Doctor: I'll do my best.

Rory: Amy? Amy? Are you here?
Amy: Yeah. Here. No, here. It's me.
(Rory has a small pencil torch.)
Rory: You okay?
Amy: Yeah, I think so.
Rory: What happened to the lift? We were in a lift, weren't we?
Amy: Yeah, yeah. We. I remember getting in and then. What?
Rory: We're dead, aren't we.
Amy: Eh?
Rory: The lift fell and we're dead.
Amy: Shut up.
Rory: We're dead. Again.
Amy: Oh, shut up. Let's just find out where we are.
(Lots of wood panelling and a tall ceiling. Georgian style layout.)
Rory: You know, it's obvious what's happened.
Amy: Yeah? Really? Because it's not obvious to me.
Rory: The Tardis has gone funny again. Some time slippy thing. You know, The Doctor's back there in Eastenders-land and we're stuck here in the past. This is probably seventeen hundred and something.
Amy: Yay. My favourite year.

The Doctor: That's better. No tears from George, that's what I've heard. Go on, give us a smile, there's a brave little soldier. Bit rusty at this. Anyway, let's open this cupboard, eh? There's nothing to be (He scans it.) (sotto) Off the scale. Off the scale. Off the scale. How?
Purcell [OC]: All I want is my three hundred and fifty pound. Simple as that. Night, night. Come on, son. Come on.
(Purcell leaves. Alex rejoins the Doctor and George.)
Alex: Right. Sorry about that. So, have we got this thing open yet?
The Doctor: No! No, no, no, no, no. You don't want to do that.
Alex: Why?
The Doctor: Because George's monsters are real.

Alex: You're supposed to be a professional. I'll never get him to sleep now. It's so irresponsible.
The Doctor: No, Alex. Responsible. Very. Cupboard bad. Cupboard not bare. Stay away from cupboard. And there's something else. Something I've missed. Something staring me in the face.
Alex: Look, I'd like you to leave, please. You're just making things worse. Will you stop making tea. I want you to leave.
The Doctor: No.
Alex: What? What do you mean no? Leave. Get out. Now, please. Look, maybe this was a bad idea. We should sort out George ourselves.
The Doctor: You can't.
Alex: No one's going to tell us how to run our lives. I don't care who you are or what wheels have been set in motion. We'll sort it.
The Doctor: I'm not just a professional. I'm the Doctor.
Alex: What's that supposed to mean?
The Doctor: It means I've come a long way to get here, Alex. A very long way. George sent a message. A distress call, if you like. Whatever's inside that cupboard is so terrible, so powerful, that it amplified the fears of an ordinary little boy across all the barriers of time and space.
Alex: Eh?
The Doctor: Through crimson stars and silent stars and tumbling nebulas like oceans set on fire. Through empires of glass and civilizations of pure thought, and a whole, terrible, wonderful universe of impossibilities. You see these eyes? They're old eyes. And one thing I can tell you, Alex. Monsters are real.
Alex: You're not from Social Services, are you?
The Doctor: First things first. You got any Jammie Dodgers?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 15th October 2019, 10:33 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 192

An action shot of third Doctor Jon Pertwee, from his final story Planet of the Spiders (1974)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29.jpg (86.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 16th October 2019, 06:03 AM
Cult Master

The Girl Who Waited
The Doctor: Doors. Yes. I give you doors. But on the other side of those doors, I give you sunsets, spires, soaring silver colonnades.
Amy: Have you seen my phone?
The Doctor: Your phone?
Amy: Yeah.
The Doctor: Your mobile telephone? I bring you to a paradise planet, two billion light years from Earth, and you want to update Twitter.
Amy: Sunsets, spires, soaring silver colonnades. It's a camera phone.
The Doctor: On the counter, by the DVDs.
Amy: Thank you.
Rory: How do we get in?
The Doctor: I don't know. Push a button.
(There is a choice of two - Green Anchor and Red Waterfall. Rory presses the Green.)

Amy: What the?
(She is grabbed by a beam of light from a panel in the ceiling. It has a pleasant female voice.)
Interface: Welcome to the Twostreams Facility.
Amy: Er, who are you and why can't I see you?
Interface: I am the Interface between yourself and the systems of the Twostreams Facility. I will be your guide, your teacher, your friend.
(An image of a woman appears at a check in desk.)
Check-In Girl: Welcome to Twostreams. What is your name, please?
Amy: Amy. Amy Pond.
Check-In Girl: Welcome, Amy Pond. I see you're travelling alone. As a resident, you will now have access to all of the entertainment zones inside. For a taste of adventure, why not try the mountain zone, and explore Apalapucia's famous Glasmir Mountains. Or try our roller-coaster zone, authentically modelled on the famous Warpspeed Death Ride at Disneyland, Clom. All that you could wish for and more is through the Departure Gate, provided for you with kindness.
[Arrivals area]
Interface: Unexpected visitor. Welcome. Please seek assistance.
(A Handbot is up ahead.)
Amy: Hello? Hey. Oi, wait.
(The Handbot turns and scans her.)
Handbot: You are carrying unregistered bacteria. Please let me help you.
Amy: No, I'm not from this world. Your medicine'll kill me.
Handbot: Statement rejected. Do not be alarmed. This is a kindness.
(Amy ducks and hides.)
Amy: No, no, please, I hate needles.

Robot [OC]: Will you be visiting long?
Rory [in glass]: Doctor? A little help, Doctor.
Amy: And where have you been?
Rory: What do I tell it?
Amy [in glass]: I've been here a week.
The Doctor [in glass]: A week? A week? I'm so sorry. Ah-ha. Same room, different times. Two different timestreams running parallel but at different speeds. Amy, you're in a faster timestream.
Amy: Doctor, it's going again.
Rory: Doctor!
The Doctor: Amy!
Amy [in glass]: Doctor!

Amy: Don't touch the hands. There's anaesthetic transfer on the skin. If they touch you, you go to sleep.
Rory: But you're still here?
Amy: You didn't save me.
Rory: But, this is the saving. This is the us saving you. The Doctor just got the timing a bit out.
The Doctor [silent]: Sorry.
Amy: I've been on my own here a long, long time. I've had decades to think nice thoughts about him. Got a bit harder to stay charitable once I entered decade four.
Rory: Forty years? Alone?
Amy: Thirty six years, thanks.
Rory: No. Right. I mean, you look great. Really, really.
Amy: Eyes front, soldier.
Rory: Still can't win then.
Amy: In fact, I think I can now definitely say I hate him. I hate The Doctor. I hate him more than I've ever hated anyone
[Tardis]
Amy [on screen]: In my life, and you can hear every word of this through those ridiculous glasses, can't you, Raggedy Man?
The Doctor: Er, yes. Putting the speaker phone on.
Amy [on scanner]: You told me to wait, and I did. A lifetime.
The Doctor: Amy
Amy [on scanner]: You've got nothing to say to me.
The Doctor: Amy, behind you.

Rory: This is so wrong.
Amy: I got old, Rory. What did you think was going to happen?
Rory: Hey, I don't care that you got old. I care that we didn't grow old together. Amy, come on, please.
Amy: Don't touch me. Don't do that.
Rory: It's like you're not even her.
Amy: Thirty six years, three months, four days of solitary confinement. This facility was built to give people the chance to live. I walked in here and I died. Do you have anything to say? Anything, Doctor?
The Doctor: Where did you get a sonic screwdriver?
Amy: I made it. And it's a sonic probe.
Rory: You made a sonic screwdriver?
Amy: Probe.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 16th October 2019, 11:24 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 193

Anthony Ainley as the Master in Survival (1989)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dw (13).jpg (89.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 17th October 2019, 08:26 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 194

Clayton Hickman's cover art for the 2001 Big Finish audio adventure The Eye of the Scorpion, featuring the fifth Doctor and Peri.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aee66a1afd9459b2cd02a1cfb60c0556f54ba678.jpg (92.5 KB, 26 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 17th October 2019, 11:01 AM
Cult Master

The God Complex
Amy: Let's go to Ravan-Skala, he says. The people are six hundred feet tall. You have to talk to them in hot air balloons and the Tourist Information Centre is made of one of their hats, he says. I'm sorry, but I don't see any huge hats.
The Doctor: Amy, Beaky, this could be the most exciting thing I have ever seen.
Rory: You're kidding.
Amy: How can you be excited about a rubbish hotel on a rubbish bit of Earth?
The Doctor: Because, assembled Ponds, this is not Earth. This has just been made to look like Earth. The craftsmanship involved. Can you imagine?
Amy: What? Then where are we?
The Doctor: I don't know. Something must have yanked us off course. Look at the detail on that cheese plant!
Rory: Right, but who would mock up an Earth hotel?
(The Doctor finds an apple in a large bowl.)
The Doctor: Colonists maybe, recreating a bit of home, like when ex-pats open English pubs in Majorca. No, whoever did this, I am shaking his stroke her hand stroke tentacle.

The Doctor: I'm kidding. (silent) We'll talk. (normal) I take it from the pathological compulsion to surrender, you're from Tivoli.
Gibbis: Yes. The most invaded planet in the galaxy. Our anthem is called Glory To Insert Name Here.

Rory: Have you tried the front door?
Rita: No. In two days it never occurred to us to try the front door. Thank God you're here.
(Amy laughs. The Doctor opens the front doors.)
The Doctor: They're not doors, they're walls. Walls that look like doors. Door-walls, if you like, or dwalls. Woors even, though you'd probably got it when you said they're not doors. I mean, the windows are (Pulls back the curtains to reveal more bricks.) Right, big day if you're a fan of walls.
Rita: It's not just that. The rooms have things in them.
The Doctor: Things? Hello! What kind of things? Interesting things? I love things, ask anyone.
Rita: Bad dreams.
The Doctor: Well, that killed the mood. How did you get here?
Rita: I don't know. I'd just started my shift. I must have passed out, because suddenly I was here.
Howie: I was blogging. Next thing, this.
Gibbis: Oh, I was at work. I'm in Town Planning. We're lining all the highways with trees so invading forces can march in the shade.
The Doctor: Ah.
Gibbis: Which is nice for them.
All: Yeah.
The Doctor: So, what have we got. People snatched from their lives and dropped into an endless, shifting maze that looks like a 1980s hotel with bad dreams in the bedrooms.

Amy: What is it, a minotaur or an alien? Or an alien minotaur? That's not a question I thought I'd be asking this morning.
The Doctor: It's both, actually. Yeah. Here we go. (He reads a holographic database.) Distant cousin of the Nimon. They descend on planets and set themselves up as gods to be worshipped. Which is fine, until the inhabitants get all secular and advanced enough to build bonkers prisons.
Rory: Correction. Prisons in space.
(He and Gibbis are looking down through a porthole.)
Amy: Where are the guards?
The Doctor: No need for any. It's all automated. It drifts through space, snatching people with belief systems and converts their faith into food for the creature.
Gibbis: See that planet there?
Rory: Which one?
Gibbis: There. The grey one there.
Rory: Mmm hmm.
Gibbis: That's where I'm from.
Amy: It didn't want just me, so you must believe in some god or someone, or they'd have shown you the door too. So what do Time Lords pray to?
The Doctor: According to the in-flight recorder, the programme developed glitches. It got stuck on the same setting, the fears from the people before us weren't tidied away.
(The Minotaur growls.)
Amy: What's it saying?
The Doctor: An ancient creature, drenched in the blood of the innocent, drifting in space through an endless, shifting maze. For such a creature, death would be a gift

Amy: Don't tell me. This isn't Earth, that isn't a real house. And inside lives a goblin, who feeds on indecision.
The Doctor: No. Real Earth, real house, real door keys.
Amy: You're not serious?
Rory: The car too? But, that's my favourite car. How did you know that was my favourite car?
The Doctor: You showed me a picture of it once and said this is my favourite car.

Old 17th October 2019, 02:39 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The next issue, #544 released on Thursday, celebrates 40 years of Doctor Who's official magazine

Apparently it comes with a free 100 minute DVD including exclusive and previously unseen material.
A 32-page supplement featuring an index of DWM and its sister publications, from 1979 to the present day.
A download code for 11 complete hour-long audio adventures from Big Finish.

DVD contents:
  • "Doctor Who: Message from Space" featurette (21:14)
  • "Sophie Aldred in Conversation" featurette (10:35)
  • "Showman: The Life of John Nathan Turner" (10:44)
  • "The Writer's Room: Season 26" featurette (6:34)
  • "The Doctor Who Cookbook Revisited Bonus Recipes: Kipper of Traken - A Recipe by Johnny Byrne" (3:10)
    - "Vegetable Soup with Dalek Krotons - A Recipe by Patrick Troughton" (5:08)
    - "Lasagne - A Recipe by Sarah Sutton" (5:30)
  • "Tom Baker in Conversation" (11:20)
  • "Behind the Sofa: Genesis of the Daleks" (14:00)
  • Trailers: "Season 10: Hello Boys" (2:30)
    - "Season 18: Galactic Glitter Tours" (2:42)
    - "Season 19: A Message from Jovanka Airlines" (2:29)
    - "Season 23: Back on Trial" (3:40)
    - "Season 26: The Promise" (3:35)

Old 17th October 2019, 03:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Apparently it comes with a free 100 minute DVD including exclusive and previously unseen material.
A 32-page supplement featuring an index of DWM and its sister publications, from 1979 to the present day.
A download code for 11 complete hour-long audio adventures from Big Finish.

DVD contents:
  • "Doctor Who: Message from Space" featurette (21:14)
  • "Sophie Aldred in Conversation" featurette (10:35)
  • "Showman: The Life of John Nathan Turner" (10:44)
  • "The Writer's Room: Season 26" featurette (6:34)
  • "The Doctor Who Cookbook Revisited Bonus Recipes: Kipper of Traken - A Recipe by Johnny Byrne" (3:10)
    - "Vegetable Soup with Dalek Krotons - A Recipe by Patrick Troughton" (5:08)
    - "Lasagne - A Recipe by Sarah Sutton" (5:30)
  • "Tom Baker in Conversation" (11:20)
  • "Behind the Sofa: Genesis of the Daleks" (14:00)
  • Trailers: "Season 10: Hello Boys" (2:30)
    - "Season 18: Galactic Glitter Tours" (2:42)
    - "Season 19: A Message from Jovanka Airlines" (2:29)
    - "Season 23: Back on Trial" (3:40)
    - "Season 26: The Promise" (3:35)
It's okay, going to watch it tonight i think. It's hardly exclusive material as was initially mooted.

The bonus 32 page supplement is purely an index. Yup 32 pages telling us where everything is in each mag across the whole 40 years. What a waste of time.

Glad i paid £3.50 for it as a subscriber. I'd feel a bit short changed had i paid a tenner from a shop...although the many pages devoted to Mr. Dicks are a good read as are the interviews with Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat regarding how they worked with the magazine throughout their eras.

We also get about forty words from Chibnall. Utterly pointless they are.
iank likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!