Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Mojo 9th November 2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 615170)
Wonder what happens when you press this? Genesis of the Daleks (1975)

There’s more tension and atmosphere in that photo than the whole of Chibnall’s first series :thankingyou:

Susan Foreman 10th November 2019 06:32 AM

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Listen
The Doctor: Listen! Question. Why do we talk out loud when we know we're alone? (blows out candle) Conjecture. Because we know we're not. (He writes on his blackboard.) Evolution perfects survival skills. There are perfect hunters.There is perfect defence. Question. Why is there no such thing as perfect hiding? Answer. How would you know? Logically, if evolution were to perfect a creature whose primary skill were to hide from view, how could you know it existed? (He puts his chalk down in an open book.) It could be with us every second and we would never know. How would you detect it, even sense it, except in those moments when, for no clear reason you choose to speak aloud? What would such a creature want? What would it do? Well? What would you do? (That last word echoes around the Tardis. The chalk is no longer where he left it. It rolls on the floor to his feet and he picks it up, then sees that what he wrote on the blackboard has been replaced by one word: Listen.)

The Doctor: Why do you have three mirrors? Why don't you just turn your head?
Clara: What are you doing in here?
The Doctor: You said you had a date. I thought I'd better hide in the bedroom in case you brought him home. Bit early, aren't you? Did it all go wrong, or is this good by your standards?
Clara: It was a disaster and I am extremely upset about it, since you didn't ask.
The Doctor: Fine. I need you, for a thing.
Clara: I can't.
The Doctor: Oh, of course you can. Come on, you're free. More than usually free, in fact.
Clara: No, it's just possible that I might get a phone call.
The Doctor: From the date guy? It's too late. You've taken your make-up off.
Clara: No, I haven't. I'm still wearing my make-up.
The Doctor: Oh, right. Well, you probably just missed a bit.

The Doctor: Where is he?
Clara: Doctor?
The Doctor: I can't find him. Can you find him?
Clara: Find who?
The Doctor: Wally.
Clara: Wally?
The Doctor: He's nowhere in this book.
Rupert: It's not a Where's Wally one.
The Doctor: Well, how would you know? Maybe you just haven't found him yet.
Rupert: He's not in every book.
The Doctor: Really? Well, that's a few years of my life I'll be needing back.

The Doctor: The universe is dead. Everything that ever was is dead and gone. There's nothing beyond this door but nothingness for ever. So why is it locked?
Orson: Please, don't make me spend another night here.
The Doctor: Afraid of the dark? But the dark is empty now.
Orson: No. No, it isn't.

Clara: This is just a dream. But very clever people can hear dreams. So, please, just listen. I know you're afraid, but being afraid is all right. Because didn't anybody ever tell you? Fear is a superpower. Fear can make you faster and cleverer and stronger. And one day, you're going to come back to this barn. And on that day you're going to be very afraid indeed. But that's okay. Because if you're very wise and very strong, fear doesn't have to make you cruel or cowardly.

gag 10th November 2019 10:16 AM

Each doctor and why they left .

https://whatculture.com/tv/doctor-wh...he-show?page=1

Those TARDIS doors are hiding quite a bit of drama...

Even though it must be extremely daunting to take on, the role of the Doctor is right up there with the most sought-after parts in the TV business.

With such a huge legacy and a devoted global fanbase, the level of scrutiny these actors are forced to endure is truly extraordinary, and a string of bad episodes could doom them to be remembered in a negative light for the rest of their career.

With that in mind, it's not surprising that most actors only play the character for a couple of years. It must be an honour to step into those shoes, absolutely, but the amount of pressure hoisted upon their soldiers is an unreasonable amount for someone to carry for five or more years, and because the show is so highly publicized, we often hear stories about what prompted the stars to leave Doctor Who behind.

Some actors have straightforward motives, others were victims of unfortunate circumstances, and a few didn't have the happiest of endings. Whatever the cause, it's a subject that each leading man has touched on at one point or another.

Susan Foreman 10th November 2019 03:46 PM

Wonder if there will be an announcement or clip (Christmas episode? New Year episode?) on Friday's Children In Need thing*

* EDIT - Just seen this: "Make a note in your diary - Series 12 announcement coming on Doctor Who's 56th birthday, 23rd November"

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th November 2019 04:09 PM

Image of the Day # 217

1 Attachment(s)
Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman) shows off in Bad Wolf (2005)

Susan Foreman 11th November 2019 08:43 AM

Time Heist
The Doctor: Are you taller?
Clara: Heels.
The Doctor: What, do you have to reach a high shelf?
Clara: Right, got to go. Going to be late.
The Doctor: For a shelf?

The Doctor: Question one. Robbing banks is easy if you've got a Tardis. So why am I not using it?
Clara: Question two, where is the Tardis?
The Doctor: Okay, that probably should be question one.

The Doctor: The floor below is all service corridors, the veins and arteries of the bank. (Psi disconnects himself. The Doctor does a brief tap dance in the middle of the floor.) He wants us to blow through the floor.
Saibra: Well, we'll die if we do that.
The Doctor: Well, not necessarily. There must be a plan.
Clara: What if the plan is, we're blowing up the floor for someone else? What if we're not supposed to make it out alive?
The Doctor: Oh, don't be so pessimistic. It'll affect team morale.
Saibra: What, and getting us blown up won't?
The Doctor: Well, only very, very briefly.

Psi: Still don't understand why you're in charge.
The Doctor: Basically, it's the eyebrows.

The Doctor: What have I told you about pessimism? That's it, that's it. There are so many memories in here. Feast on them. Tuck in. Big scarf, bow tie, bit embarrassing. What do you think of the new look? I was hoping for minimalism, but I think I came up with magician.

Psi: If you ever need help with another bank heist
(The Doctor shakes Psi's hand, Clara hugs him.)
Clara: Yeah, it's not really his area.
(The Doctor makes the Phone Me sign. Psi leaves. Later, Saibra hugs the Doctor.)
Saibra: See? I don't have your face now.
The Doctor: Yeah. I kind of miss that.
Saibra: Oh, shut up.
(Saibra leave the Tardis. The Doctor rubs his arm where Saibra had squeezed him. And finally -)
The Doctor: 7.12, local time, as promised. Go and enjoy yourself. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.
Clara: It's a date. You know, I've just realised. I'm going out for another meal now.
The Doctor: Don't worry. Calories consumed on the Tardis have no lasting effect.
Clara: What? Are you kidding?.
The Doctor: Of course I'm kidding. It's a time machine, not a miracle worker. Bye, bye.
Clara: See you. Don't rob any banks.
The Doctor: Don't rob any banks what?
Clara: Without me.
The Doctor: Course not, boss. (Clara leaves.) Robbing a bank. Robbing a whole bank. Beat that for a date.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th November 2019 11:10 AM

Image of the Day # 218

1 Attachment(s)
The cover of Peter Darvill-Evans BBC past Doctor book Asylum published in 2001, featuring the Fourth Doctor and Nyssa

Susan Foreman 12th November 2019 07:02 AM

The Caretaker
Clara: There's no way out of this. We're going to die here.
The Doctor: Pass me the vibro-cutters.
Clara: They're in my pocket.
The Doctor: Come on then, pass them to me.
Clara: In my other jacket. At home.
The Doctor: Why have you got two jackets? Is one of them faulty?

Armitage: Which means, Jo, you'll have to cover for 8/4M in L3. Hold on, there is just one more thing. Atif's off sick, so we've got a newbie, I did ask him to come along. (Knocking on the door.) Ah, here he is.
(A tall figure in a brown coverall and holding a broom enters.)
The Doctor: I'm the new caretaker. John Smith.
Danny: Welcome to Coal Hill, Mister Smith.
The Doctor: Thanks. Yes, John Smith's the name. But, you know, here's a thing. Most people just call me the Doctor. (He winks at Clara.) So, if anybody needs me, just, you know, give me a shout. I'll be in the storeroom just getting the lie of the land. (The staff leave the room.) Yes, no body's taking any notice at all. Absolutely good news because it means I must be coming across just as an absolutely boring human being like you. (Clara mouths What are you doing here? He shuts the door on her.) Deep cover. Deep cover.

The Doctor: So, you recognised me, then.
Clara: You're wearing a different coat.
The Doctor: But you saw straight through that.
Clara: Deep cover in my school? Why? Where's Atif, what have you done with him?
(The Doctor wards her off with his broom.)
The Doctor: He's fine. Hypnotised. He thinks he's got the 'flu. Also a flying car and three wives. It's going to be a rude awakening.
Clara: Is it aliens? Oh, my God, is that why you're here? Are there aliens?
The Doctor: It's assembly. You'd better get going. Go and worship something.
Clara: Are there aliens in this school?
The Doctor: Listen, it's lovely talking to you, but I've really got to get on. I'm a caretaker now. Look, I've got a brush.
Clara: Doctor, is there an alien in this school?
The Doctor: Yes, me. Now, go. The walls need sponging and there's a sinister puddle.
Clara: You can't do this. You cannot pass yourself off as a real person among actual people.
The Doctor: I lived among otters once for a month. Well, I sulked. River and I, we had this big fight
Clara: Human beings are not otters!
The Doctor: Exactly. It'll be even easier.
Clara: Okay. One question. And you will answer this question. Are the kids safe?
The Doctor: No. Nobody is safe

Courtney: Hello? Oi. What are you doing? Are you in there?
The Doctor [OC]: Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the most dangerous of them all?
(The green light goes out.)
Courtney: There's been a spillage in Geography, I need some paper towels.
(Doctor comes out of the Tardis.)
The Doctor: Can't you read?
Courtney: Course I can read. Read what?
The Doctor: The door. It says,'Keep Out'.
Courtney: No, it says, 'Go Away Humans'.
The Doctor: Oh, so it does. Never lose your temper in the middle of a door sign.
Courtney: What was you doing in there? What's that box?
The Doctor: The caretaker's box. Every caretaker has their own box.
Courtney: It says Police.
The Doctor: Exactly, there's a policeman in there, in case of emergencies and children. Towels, there, g-g-go.
Courtney: What was that green glow? There was a green glow coming from in there. What was it?
The Doctor: Of course there was. What's a policeman without a death ray? (School bell.) Oh, listen, there's the bell. Off you go. Haven't you got shoplifting to go to?
Courtney: I'm going to tell the Headmaster.
The Doctor: Oh, yes, fine. Well, cut along, you're running out of time.
Courtney: For what?
The Doctor: Everything. Human beings have incredibly short life spans. Frankly, you should all be in a permanent state of panic. Tick tock, tick tock.
Courtney: You're weird.
The Doctor: Yes, I am. What about you?
Courtney: I'm a disruptive influence.
The Doctor: Good to meet you.
Courtney: And you.
(They shake hands.)
The Doctor: Now get lost.
Courtney: Okay.

Clara: So, your insanely dangerous plan is? (The Doctor holds up a digital wrist watch with an expanding metal bracelet.) A new watch. Tiny bit disappointed.
The Doctor: This is a very special watch.
(The Doctor puts it on, presses a button and vanishes.)
Clara: Doctor? Oi! Ow! Did you just flick my nose? You're invisible. Ha, ha! Oh, my God, that's incredible.
The Doctor [OC]: Correct. I am invisible and I am incredible. It's simply a matter of reversing light waves. Hang on, I'm coming back.

The Doctor: Humans. I never learn.
Courtney: What's in the box? It's not really a policeman, is it?
The Doctor: You want to know what's in that box? I'll tell you what's in that box. It's a time machine. It also travels in space. And it usually contains a man who just wants to get on with his work of preventing the end of the world, but keeps being interrupted by boring little humans.
Courtney: Cool. So, that's really a spaceship?
(The Doctor pulls Courtney back from the Tardis by her collar.)
The Doctor: I'm serious. I'm trying to save this planet.
Courtney: End of the world for me tonight, whatever you do. Parents' evening.
The Doctor: Is your name really Disruptive Influence?
Courtney: Courtney Woods. Can I go in space?
The Doctor: I'll let you know. I may have a vacancy. But not right now.

(Inside the Tardis)
The Doctor [OC]: So, Courtney Woods, impressed yet?
(The doors are open, and Courtney is holding on to the doorframe for dear life.)
Courtney: Actually, I'm feeling a bit ill.
The Doctor: Ah, it can be a bit overwhelming. But look. The Olveron Cluster. A million stars, a hundred million inhabited planets. (Courtney gags and runs inside. Sounds of an unfortunate occurrence.) Ah, yes. There has been a spillage.

Susan Foreman 12th November 2019 07:30 AM

Apparently the 26 series Blu-ray has had its release date put back to January 20th 2020.

It was originally going to be December 23rd.

MrBarlow 12th November 2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 615397)
Apparently the 26 series Blu-ray has had its release date put back to January 20th 2020.

It was originally going to be December 23rd.

Aww dammit was looking forward to getting that for Christmas