Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:26 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 229

The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) at the TARDIS console.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm2.jpg (92.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 22nd November 2019, 02:46 PM
Cult Master

Following on from Matt Smith playing Charles Manson in 'Charlie Says'...

David Tennant to play serial killer Dennis Nilsen in ITV drama | Radio Times

"David Tennant will play serial killer Dennis Nilsen in a new ITV drama about his arrest and trial.

Nilsen killed at least 12 boys and young men from 1978 to 1983 when he was caught and sentenced to life imprisonment.

The three episode series, titled Des after the killer’s commonly used nickname, is written by Luke Neal and based on Killing for Company, a book about Nilsen by biographer Brian Masters.

The story will be told from the perspective of three main characters: Nilsen himself (Tennant), Jason Watkins (The Crown) as Masters, and Daniel Mays (Line of Duty) as Detective Chief Inspector Peter Jay who played an important role in the arrest.
Get the latest TV and entertainment news direct to your inbox

Sign up to receive television and entertainment email newsletters from our award-winning editorial team. You can unsubscribe at any time. For more information about how we hold your personal data, please see our privacy policy.

The series will explore both the police investigation and trial, as well as the effect of media coverage on public perceptions of the victims.

Polly Hill, ITV’s Head of Drama, said: “David Tennant is going to be brilliant as Dennis Nilsen and with Daniel Mays as Jay and Jason Watkins as Brian, this has an incredible cast to bring this story to screen and we are delighted to be making this with New Pictures for ITV.”

The series also stars Ron Cook (Death in Paradise), Faye McKeever (A Confession) and Chanel Cresswell (The Bay).

Executive producer Kim Varvell added: “Dennis Nilsen’s crimes shocked the nation in the early 1980s. Our programme focuses on the emotional impact of those terrible crimes, both on those who came into contact with Nilsen himself, and also on the victims’ families. We’re thrilled to be working with Luke and Lewis on this project, as well as the incredible cast.”

Des will air on ITV in 2020"
Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd November 2019, 02:56 PM
Cult Master

Big Finish

"The Black and White Friday Sale!

To celebrate the 56th Anniversary of Doctor Who this weekend, get up to 50% OFF selected First and Second Doctor releases - NO CODE REQUIRED!

Be quick - this offer expires at 23:59 (UK time) on 25 November 2019."

https://www.bigfinish.com/collection..._november_sale

Old 23rd November 2019, 05:50 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Before The Flood
(The Doctor is giving us, the viewers, a lecture.)
The Doctor: So there's this man. He has a time machine. Up and down history he goes, zip zip zip zip zip, getting into scrapes. (He goes up to the gallery.) Another thing he has is a passion for the works of Ludwig van Beethoven. (Holds up a vinyl LP of Beethoven's 5th.) And one day he thinks, what's the point of having a time machine if you don't get to meet your heroes? So off he goes to eighteenth century Germany. But he can't find Beethoven anywhere. No one's heard of him, not even his family have any idea who the time traveller is talking about. (He swaps the LP for a plaster bust of Ludwig and walks down the stairs.) Beethoven literally doesn't exist. This didn't happen, by the way. I've met Beethoven. Nice chap. Very intense. Loved an arm-wrestle. No, this is called the Bootstrap Paradox. Google it. The time traveller panics. (The bust is put down on a pile of sheet music.) He can't bear the thought of a world without the music of Beethoven. Luckily he'd brought all of his Beethoven sheet music for Ludwig to sign. So he copies out all the concertos, and the symphonies and he gets them published. He becomes Beethoven. And history continues with barely a feather ruffled. But my question is this. Who put those notes and phrases together? Who really composed Beethoven's Fifth?
(The Doctor has finished plugging in his electric guitar and plays - da da da dah! da da da dah!)

The Doctor: Where's Bennett? We need to get going.
O'Donnell: Oh, he's still throwing up. One small step for man, one giant bleaurgh.
The Doctor: Oh, time travel does that sometimes.
O'Donnell: Somehow I doubt that Rose or Martha or Amy lost their breakfast on their first trip.
The Doctor: You seem to know an awful lot about me.
O'Donnell: I used to be in military intelligence. I was demoted for dangling a colleague out of a window.
The Doctor: In anger?
O'Donnell: Is there another way to dangle someone out a window? What year are we in?
(The Doctor wets a finger and holds it up.)
The Doctor: 1980.
O'Donnell: So, pre-Harold Saxon. Pre-the Minister of War. Pre-the moon exploding and a big bat coming out.
The Doctor: The Minister of War?
O'Donnell: Yeah.
The Doctor: No, never mind. I expect I'll find out soon enough.

Prentis: Greetings!
O'Donnell: It's him. That's the ghost from the Drum.
(The alien gets within an inch of the Doctor's nose, as if he is very short-sighted.)
Prentis: Remarkable. Oh, and humans, too. Albar Prentis, Funeral Director.
(He hands out business cards. Albar Prentis Universal Funeral Director. May the remorse be with you. The Doctor throws his away.)
Bennett: You're from Tivoli, aren't you?
Prentis: The most invaded planet in the galaxy! Our capital city has a sign saying, if you occupied us, you'd be home by now.
The Doctor: Yes, I've had dealings with your lot before. I can't say I'm a fan.
Prentis: No, we do tend to antagonise. (laughs)
(O'Donnell hears a noise and looks away briefly.)
The Doctor: What are you doing here?
Prentis: Ah, yes. Of course. (runs up the ramp) This is the Fisher King. He and his armies invaded Tivoli and enslaved us for ten glorious years! Until we were liberated by the Arcateenians. But, thank the Gods, soon we'd irritated them so much, they enslaved us, too! (laughs)
Bennett: My first proper alien, and he's an idiot.

The Doctor: (To ghost Doctor) Doctor. Such an honour. I've always been a huge admirer. This is really a delight. Finally someone worth talking to.

The Doctor: Big day for you. Time travel, twice!
Bennett: Whoa, really? When are we going to?
The Doctor: Off the map. Out of the rule book. What if I don't die? What if I refuse? I'm going to go back to the base and I'm going to save Clara, because that's what I do. And I don't see anyone here who's going to stop me.

Clara: What will UNIT do with the ghosts?
The Doctor: Drag the cage into space, away from the Earth's magnetic field. With nothing to sustain them, the ghosts will eventually fade away.
Clara: Here's what I don't understand. You did change the future. You stopped the Fisher King from returning.
The Doctor: The Fisher King had been dead for a hundred and fifty years before we even got here. But once I went back, I became part of events. But here's the thing. The messages my ghost gave, they weren't for you, they were for me. That list. Everyone after you was random, but you being the next name, that's what made me confront the Fisher King.
Clara: And saying the chamber will open?
The Doctor: That was me telling me to get inside and when to set it for.
Clara: Smart.
The Doctor: Except that's not why I said them.
Clara: How do you mean?
The Doctor: I programmed my ghost to say them because that's what my ghost had said. And the only reason I created my ghost hologram in the first place was because I saw it here. I was reverse engineering the narrative.
Clara: Okay, that's still pretty smart.
The Doctor: You do not understand. When did I first have those ideas, Clara?
Clara: Well, it must have been (penny drops) Wow.
The Doctor: Exactly. Who composed Beethoven's Fifth?

Old 23rd November 2019, 06:17 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Comedy legends Stephen Fry and Lenny Henry are set to appear in the next series
It's been announced that both Goran Visnjic from 'ER' and Robert Glenister from 'Hustle' and 'Spooks' will be appearing in the new series

Glenister has previously appeared in the 1984 story 'The Caves Of Androzani', playing Salateen

Old 23rd November 2019, 09:48 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 230

London 1814: The Doctor (Peter Capaldi) and Bill (Pearl Mackie) set out to enjoy the last great Frost Fair in Thin Ice (2017)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p0510lds.jpg (56.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 23rd November 2019, 09:54 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Before The Flood
(The Doctor is giving us, the viewers, a lecture.)
The Doctor: So there's this man. He has a time machine. Up and down history he goes, zip zip zip zip zip, getting into scrapes. (He goes up to the gallery.) Another thing he has is a passion for the works of Ludwig van Beethoven. (Holds up a vinyl LP of Beethoven's 5th.) And one day he thinks, what's the point of having a time machine if you don't get to meet your heroes? So off he goes to eighteenth century Germany. But he can't find Beethoven anywhere. No one's heard of him, not even his family have any idea who the time traveller is talking about. (He swaps the LP for a plaster bust of Ludwig and walks down the stairs.) Beethoven literally doesn't exist. This didn't happen, by the way. I've met Beethoven. Nice chap. Very intense. Loved an arm-wrestle. No, this is called the Bootstrap Paradox. Google it. The time traveller panics. (The bust is put down on a pile of sheet music.) He can't bear the thought of a world without the music of Beethoven. Luckily he'd brought all of his Beethoven sheet music for Ludwig to sign. So he copies out all the concertos, and the symphonies and he gets them published. He becomes Beethoven. And history continues with barely a feather ruffled. But my question is this. Who put those notes and phrases together? Who really composed Beethoven's Fifth?
(The Doctor has finished plugging in his electric guitar and plays - da da da dah! da da da dah!)

The Doctor: Where's Bennett? We need to get going.
O'Donnell: Oh, he's still throwing up. One small step for man, one giant bleaurgh.
The Doctor: Oh, time travel does that sometimes.
O'Donnell: Somehow I doubt that Rose or Martha or Amy lost their breakfast on their first trip.
The Doctor: You seem to know an awful lot about me.
O'Donnell: I used to be in military intelligence. I was demoted for dangling a colleague out of a window.
The Doctor: In anger?
O'Donnell: Is there another way to dangle someone out a window? What year are we in?
(The Doctor wets a finger and holds it up.)
The Doctor: 1980.
O'Donnell: So, pre-Harold Saxon. Pre-the Minister of War. Pre-the moon exploding and a big bat coming out.
The Doctor: The Minister of War?
O'Donnell: Yeah.
The Doctor: No, never mind. I expect I'll find out soon enough.

Prentis: Greetings!
O'Donnell: It's him. That's the ghost from the Drum.
(The alien gets within an inch of the Doctor's nose, as if he is very short-sighted.)
Prentis: Remarkable. Oh, and humans, too. Albar Prentis, Funeral Director.
(He hands out business cards. Albar Prentis Universal Funeral Director. May the remorse be with you. The Doctor throws his away.)
Bennett: You're from Tivoli, aren't you?
Prentis: The most invaded planet in the galaxy! Our capital city has a sign saying, if you occupied us, you'd be home by now.
The Doctor: Yes, I've had dealings with your lot before. I can't say I'm a fan.
Prentis: No, we do tend to antagonise. (laughs)
(O'Donnell hears a noise and looks away briefly.)
The Doctor: What are you doing here?
Prentis: Ah, yes. Of course. (runs up the ramp) This is the Fisher King. He and his armies invaded Tivoli and enslaved us for ten glorious years! Until we were liberated by the Arcateenians. But, thank the Gods, soon we'd irritated them so much, they enslaved us, too! (laughs)
Bennett: My first proper alien, and he's an idiot.

The Doctor: (To ghost Doctor) Doctor. Such an honour. I've always been a huge admirer. This is really a delight. Finally someone worth talking to.

The Doctor: Big day for you. Time travel, twice!
Bennett: Whoa, really? When are we going to?
The Doctor: Off the map. Out of the rule book. What if I don't die? What if I refuse? I'm going to go back to the base and I'm going to save Clara, because that's what I do. And I don't see anyone here who's going to stop me.

Clara: What will UNIT do with the ghosts?
The Doctor: Drag the cage into space, away from the Earth's magnetic field. With nothing to sustain them, the ghosts will eventually fade away.
Clara: Here's what I don't understand. You did change the future. You stopped the Fisher King from returning.
The Doctor: The Fisher King had been dead for a hundred and fifty years before we even got here. But once I went back, I became part of events. But here's the thing. The messages my ghost gave, they weren't for you, they were for me. That list. Everyone after you was random, but you being the next name, that's what made me confront the Fisher King.
Clara: And saying the chamber will open?
The Doctor: That was me telling me to get inside and when to set it for.
Clara: Smart.
The Doctor: Except that's not why I said them.
Clara: How do you mean?
The Doctor: I programmed my ghost to say them because that's what my ghost had said. And the only reason I created my ghost hologram in the first place was because I saw it here. I was reverse engineering the narrative.
Clara: Okay, that's still pretty smart.
The Doctor: You do not understand. When did I first have those ideas, Clara?
Clara: Well, it must have been (penny drops) Wow.
The Doctor: Exactly. Who composed Beethoven's Fifth?
You won't be posting clever, witty and thoughtful dialogue quotes when you get on to series 11 you know.

Enjoy it whilst you can.

What do you say 'Fam'?

Ryan - Great

Graham - Yes, Doc

Yaz -

Ryan - Awesome
Susan Foreman and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 23rd November 2019, 12:13 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You won't be posting clever, witty and thoughtful dialogue quotes when you get on to series 11 you know.

Enjoy it whilst you can.

What do you say 'Fam'?

Ryan - Great

Graham - Yes, Doc

Yaz -

Ryan - Awesome
Maybe I'll try my hand at some 'fan rewrites' when I get there!

Old 23rd November 2019, 12:30 PM
Cult Master

November 23rd, 1963 (56 years ago today)

Where it all started

Old 23rd November 2019, 02:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

New trailer.

Cybermen look good, is that a Racnoss?
Susan Foreman and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!