Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Nemesis 23rd March 2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 226144)
Get them both, you cheapskate!!!!!

As if I wouldn't - but if you're offering to buy me Face of Evil now, then I won't say no ;)

Otherwise, moderation is required:mmph:

Not helped, I might add, by all this talk of Revelation of the Daleks - I'm thinking of getting a few more this week before the closure of the VAT loophole takes place.

Even though I know it's only a two discer, the Ace Tales seem to be rather cheap for a new release (£14.97) on Amazon, certainly when you compare it to HMV online(£22).

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 226153)
As if I wouldn't - but if you're offering to buy me Face of Evil now, then I won't say no ;)

Otherwise, moderation is required:mmph:

Not helped, I might add, by all this talk of Revelation of the Daleks - I'm thinking of getting a few more this week before the closure of the VAT loophole takes place.

Even though I know it's only a two discer, the Ace Tales seem to be rather cheap for a new release (£14.97) on Amazon, certainly when you compare it to HMV online(£22).

Thats an error.

I've just pre-ordered one as soon as i read your post.

Nemesis 23rd March 2012 08:39 PM

Let's hope it sticks :tea:

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 226160)
Let's hope it sticks :tea:

Amazons pre order promise.:)

Its not out till May either.

Nemesis 23rd March 2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 226164)
Amazons pre order promise.:)

Its not out till May either.

I just hope they don't pull another Slient Running - that was mispriced at £3.99 when it should have been £13.99; they ended up cancelling loads of orders. Still, one can hope.

Demdike, do we know which Classic Who stories are bestsellers?

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 226170)

Demdike, do we know which Classic Who stories are bestsellers?

No idea unfortunately. The new series releases sell tons more than the classics, but sales of the classics are higher due to the new series.

The best selling vhs release was Tomb of the Cybermen.

Susan Foreman 25th March 2012 12:34 PM

The first teaser for the new series

Doctor Who series seven trailer - YouTube

wayfarer 25th March 2012 01:53 PM

Although the teaser is a bootleg filmed at a convention, it still looks good. Did I hear the line "give me a Dalek any day" and then see a Dalek suit eyestalk?

Hawkmonger 25th March 2012 02:59 PM

Prity exited, Looking forward to the big 50 even more though. Suspect it will dominate the SFX weekender.:lol:

RedEyeTheCylon 25th March 2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 226502)
Did I hear the line "give me a Dalek any day" and then see a Dalek suit eyestalk?

It looked like it, they're supposed to be uploading the trailer to the official website tomorrow morning so it should to easier to see

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th March 2012 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can put your own captions to this picture.

Not you Demoncrat, sorry. :lol:

mr 420 30th March 2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 227545)
You can put your own captions to this picture.

Not you Demoncrat, sorry. :lol:

I reckon the Dalek would run up the stairs when it realised it was up against a couple of reptilian Shape-shifters! Now that would make a good Who story. Backtracking slightly, I can't wait to see Jenna-Louise. She's so hot she melts diamonds. It will be interesting to see how my homie Karen gets on post Who.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th March 2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 227555)
It will be interesting to see how my homie Karen gets on post Who.

If all else fails, she can do the convention circuit for the rest of her life.

I know it seemed a sarcastic comment but it wasn't.

VicDakin 31st March 2012 09:54 PM

The Daemons

1 Attachment(s)
The Daemons
Have'nt watched this yet,but what a great image :rockon:

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 227824)
The Daemons
Have'nt watched this yet,but what a great image :rockon:

Brilliant - The Master at a Dio gig. :clap: :rockon:

Next week - Omega goes to see Status Quo.

RedEyeTheCylon 1st April 2012 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An exciting new on set picture:

Hawkmonger 1st April 2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 227903)

Holee.....grud on a greenie!
Thats glories!:rockon:

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2012 02:46 PM

An old type Dalek :happy:

Wonder if they have finally revived the army on Spirodon. (Planet of the Daleks)

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2012 02:50 PM

A quote from one of the FX crew - "Working late on Dr Who tonight, it was interesting to see all original Daleks since 1960 in one episode."

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st April 2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon (Post 227903)

That Dalek appears to be looking down her top...

Hawkmonger 1st April 2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 227961)
That Dalek appears to be looking down her top...

It's only doing what every straight man in the country want's to do. It's Karen-bloody-Gillan!

Demoncrat 2nd April 2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 227832)
Brilliant - The Master at a Dio gig. :clap: :rockon:

Next week - Omega goes to see Status Quo.

Hmmm, i've always imagined Omega being more of an Emperor fan myself;);)

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 228120)
Hmmm, i've always imagined Omega being more of an Emperor fan myself;);)

He was, but found Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk not to his taste as it had too many keyboards.

Mojo 2nd April 2012 04:23 PM

Anyone been brave enough to watch Nightmare Of Eden yet?

I've watched the extras, which indicate that at every level the whole production was a nightmare to work on - no one seems to have a good word to say about it!

Mind you, the whole disc is worth getting for the appearance on Ask Aspel by Lalla Ward :faint2::love:

Hawkmonger 2nd April 2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 228222)
Mind you, the whole disc is worth getting for the appearance on Ask Aspel by Lalla Ward :faint2::love:

And now I won't be able to move without holding a cushion to my crotch. Thanks Mojo! Seriously though. She is very nice. Isn't she.
On the subject of The Nightmare of Eden............it's not all that great. Hell, it's not even good. It show's the worst aspect's of late T.Baker era effects and writing. It's naff at best, but there are worse out there. At least it didn't have The Docter and a companion pouting "I love you" shite. :mmph:

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2012 05:52 PM

I've always liked Nightmare of Eden.

I like the Mandrels, they look fine to me. There are many worse Tom Baker stories, The Horns of Nimon, Meglos and Planet of Evil to name three.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 228225)
And now I won't be able to move without holding a cushion to my crotch. Thanks Mojo! Seriously though. She is very nice. Isn't she.
On the subject of The Nightmare of Eden............it's not all that great. Hell, it's not even good. It show's the worst aspect's of late T.Baker era effects and writing. It's naff at best, but there are worse out there. At least it didn't have The Docter and a companion pouting "I love you" shite. :mmph:

When did this ever happen?

Hawkmonger 2nd April 2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228240)
When did this ever happen?

NeWho Season 2 (Season 28 (2006)).
If you haven't seen it, dont. It's shameless. :censored:

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 228250)
NeWho Season 2 (Season 28 (2006)).
If you haven't seen it, dont. It's shameless. :censored:

My favourite series since its rebirth.

Hawkmonger 2nd April 2012 06:45 PM

Oh, I liked it. It's just that damn beach scene at the end ticked me off something terrible.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2012 06:52 PM

Its that emotional involvement that i think is lacking in Matt Smith's tenure. I really couldn't care less about Amy and her die every episode husband.

Riversong was interesting but now bores me to tears.

Hawkmonger 2nd April 2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228269)
Its that emotional involvement that i think is lacking in Matt Smith's tenure. I really couldn't care less about Amy and her die every episode husband.

Riversong was interesting but now bores me to tears.

Emotional involvment is all well and good, hell, I'd recomend having that connection with characters.
But having the Doctor fall in love with a companion? Thats just dumb.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 228270)
Emotional involvment is all well and good, hell, I'd recomend having that connection with characters.

Why?

Hawkmonger 2nd April 2012 06:57 PM

Because.........well...........just because.
I can't explain why, it just is. It feel's wrong that this 'cosmic hobo' should develop a love interest. It just doesn't feel right. :(

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 228275)
I can't explain why, it just is. It feel's wrong that this 'cosmic hobo' should develop a love interest. It just doesn't feel right. :(

:lol:

Sorry Hawkmonger, i was just trying to wind you up. ;)

It worked once i thought but it can't happen again.

He had been withRosesince the Time War ended, through two incarnations, it must have been an emotional strain on him. The deaths of all his people and his greatest enemies so he thought. Rose was a bit of comfort. Thats how i see it.

Susan Foreman 3rd April 2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228239)
There are many worse Tom Baker stories, The Horns of Nimon, Meglos and Planet of Evil to name three.

'Planet of Evil' is a wonderful story. It scared the hell out of me when it was originally broadcast. Even the cover to the Target book worried me! I still think it is one of Tom's best stories

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 228270)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228273)
Why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 228275)
I can't explain why, it just is

Well, the Doctor is not human and he is asexual, therefore he would NOT be sexually attracted to a human female.

Just because two races look similar, doesn't mean they are similar - think Kong and Fay Wray! Two different species!!!!

Demoncrat 3rd April 2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228239)
I've always liked Nightmare of Eden.

I like the Mandrels, they look fine to me. There are many worse Tom Baker stories, The Horns of Nimon, Meglos and Planet of Evil to name three.

Horns has Graham Crowden (my favourite grizzler):nod:, Meglos has an evil cactus:laugh:, and Planet Of Evil sets are great, ok the fx lets it down slightly, but not as badly as Invasion of The Dinosaurs hem hem.

What i love about the old ones being reissued nowadays is the fact that on the commentaries, they always "dis" New Who because of this "emotional depth"

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 228354)
'Planet of Evil' is a wonderful story. It scared the hell out of me when it was originally broadcast. Even the cover to the Target book worried me! I still think it is one of Tom's best stories

Well, the Doctor is not human and he is asexual, therefore he would NOT be sexually attracted to a human female.

Just because two races look similar, doesn't mean they are similar - think Kong and Fay Wray! Two different species!!!!

I don't know about you, but to me Kong and Fay Wray don't exactly look like like they are from the same species - not the greatest comparison. the various Star Trek series certainly oppose your reasoning also.

By the way the Doctor is half human. ;)

I was only winding Hawkmonger up with my posts as i said earlier.

I knew me not rating Planet of Evil would raise hackles. I just think its shite :nod: :)

Hawkmonger 3rd April 2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 228434)
I don't know about you, but to me Kong and Fay Wray don't exactly look like like they are from the same species - not the greatest comparison. the various Star Trek series certainly oppose your reasoning also.

By the way the Doctor is half human.
;)

I was only winding Hawkmonger up with my posts as i said earlier.

I knew me not rating Planet of Evil would raise hackles. I just think its shite :nod: :)

Ladys and Gentlemen. This never happened.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd April 2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 228435)
Ladys and Gentlemen. This never happened.

On his mothers side.