Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2020, 08:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

i don't have a problem with a woke agenda as such. DW has always been a bit woke - exhibit 1 The Green Death. my problem is that it has totally taken over the show and has the subtlety of steam roller in an incubator unit. the writers are just so poor they can only make their point with speeches - exhibit 2 Praxeus, my son said this virtually verbatim to a lesson he'd had at school the previous week! you don't turn people on to your cause by whacking them over the head with a lecture. you do it by planting thoughts and doubts in their heads with thoughtful ideas and observations.

anyway i'd fallen behind with this season but have caught up recently. here's the verdict.

Fugitive of the Judoon - not bad
Praxeus - really really awful
Can You Hear Me? - i didn't think it could get any worse but it did...
The Haunting of Villa Diodati - a really pleasant surprise, it was great

Haunting was apparently written by the lady who writes Emmerdale. Who'd have thought...?
Old 19th February 2020, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post

anyway i'd fallen behind with this season but have caught up recently. here's the verdict.

Haunting was apparently written by the lady who writes Emmerdale. Who'd have thought...?
As long as the two part finale isn't a disaster i think i'll be picking up the box set at some point down the line.

There are enough reasonable stories - Judoon, Tesla, to go with a good story - Spyfall I & II- and a standout - Villa Diodati - that i could watch again.

Season 11 is the only one i haven't bought and never will.
Old 20th February 2020, 07:53 AM
Cult Master

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #50

Episode: 'The Sound Of Drums'
Artist: Rogue Traders
Title: Voodoo Child
Notes:
* Played by the Master as the Toclafane invade Earth
* The song was never definitively named as 'Voodoo Child' on screen, but the lyric 'voodoo child' is heard repeatedly
* It samples the riff from the Elvis Costello song 'Pump It Up'
* According to the DVD commentary, the Rogue Traders recording of the song inspired the title of the episode
* It can be found on the 2005 album 'Here Come The Drums'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th February 2020, 08:14 AM
Cult Master

The diehards of doom! Why Doctor Who is the show fans love to hate | The Guardian

"...If Doctor Who seems like a show that has been disappointing its devotees for 56 years and counting, perhaps that is to be expected. After all, no other TV series in history has shown such a wilful disregard for anything approaching a house style, happily pressing the re-set button every week and leaping between planets and time zones, comedy and tragedy, psychodrama and space opera.

Besides, it can be healthy to mock the things we love. Half the fun of being a Doctor Who fan is celebrating those moments where the show falls short of its vaulting overambition. Which, when you’re trying to map an entire universe of wonders and terrors on a BBC budget, is often. (This is the show, lest we forget, that once staged a Concorde hijack in BBC Television Centre.)

Case in point: in 1986, two of Doctor Who’s writers were subjected to a handbagging from a group of “diehard fans” on BBC feedback show Open Air. Among them was a teenager who offered a quietly devastating critique of the “cliched” scripts full of “running up and down corridors and silly monsters”. His name? Chris Chibnall...."
nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th February 2020, 09:04 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Guardian...

Credibility of article falls to 0 the moment you see the name of the "paper".
Old 20th February 2020, 10:20 AM
Cult Addict

...A bit like the credibility of people who moan about something they don't watch.
Susan Foreman likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th February 2020, 10:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
i don't have a problem with a woke agenda as such. DW has always been a bit woke - exhibit 1 The Green Death. my problem is that it has totally taken over the show and has the subtlety of steam roller in an incubator unit. the writers are just so poor they can only make their point with speeches - exhibit 2 Praxeus, my son said this virtually verbatim to a lesson he'd had at school the previous week! you don't turn people on to your cause by whacking them over the head with a lecture. you do it by planting thoughts and doubts in their heads with thoughtful ideas and observations.

Yeah, poor writing holding a 'message' can come across as an agenda. I can get that.
Old 20th February 2020, 11:18 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I saw Boom Town again last night for the first time in over a decade.

For an episode that's generally thought of as lower echelon Who the writing was superb, with outstanding interplay between the Doctor, Rose, Jack, Mickey and Margaret Slitheen.

It was actually a joy to watch and makes the writing of the Chibnall era stand out for it's awful clunkiness.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 20th February 2020, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
...A bit like the credibility of people who moan about something they don't watch.
...A bit like those who are left watching Parody Who and actually think it's ok, when it's the biggest pile of steaming shite on TV. No accounting for taste.
Old 20th February 2020, 11:34 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 318

The Master (Roger Delgado) has a quiet moment during Frontier in Space (1973)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lmvpehdme5j01 (Large).jpg (48.2 KB, 26 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!