Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2020, 10:35 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I saw Boom Town again last night for the first time in over a decade.

For an episode that's generally thought of as lower echelon Who the writing was superb, with outstanding interplay between the Doctor, Rose, Jack, Mickey and Margaret Slitheen.

It was actually a joy to watch and makes the writing of the Chibnall era stand out for it's awful clunkiness.
Can you actually imagine what Robert Holmes would've of made of hack Chibnall?

Good job he's dead, because words cannot describe what Holmes would've said about the state of Parody Who today. I can see Holmes shoving his pipe up Chibnall's back passage. The writing of the Davies era is of such high quality, compaired to the soap operatics of Parody Who in 2020.
Old 20th February 2020, 10:42 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Can you actually imagine what Robert Holmes would've of made of hack Chibnall?

Good job he's dead, because words cannot describe what Holmes would've said about the state of Parody Who today. I can see Holmes shoving his pipe up Chibnall's back passage. The writing of the Davies era is of such high quality, compaired to the soap operatics of Parody Who in 2020.
Here lies the problem because you won't actually know what i mean because you haven't seen any, but it doesn't have soap operatics.

Davies era did that's why characters could talk to one another. Maxine Alderton's episode last week was a complete step up from the usual monosyllabic companion speak of normal Chibnall stories because she's script editor on Emmerdale (or was) so could actually write conversations unlike most of Chibnall's era.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 20th February 2020, 10:49 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The diehards of doom! Why Doctor Who is the show fans love to hate | The Guardian

"...If Doctor Who seems like a show that has been disappointing its devotees for 56 years and counting, perhaps that is to be expected. After all, no other TV series in history has shown such a wilful disregard for anything approaching a house style, happily pressing the re-set button every week and leaping between planets and time zones, comedy and tragedy, psychodrama and space opera.

Besides, it can be healthy to mock the things we love. Half the fun of being a Doctor Who fan is celebrating those moments where the show falls short of its vaulting overambition. Which, when you’re trying to map an entire universe of wonders and terrors on a BBC budget, is often. (This is the show, lest we forget, that once staged a Concorde hijack in BBC Television Centre.)

Case in point: in 1986, two of Doctor Who’s writers were subjected to a handbagging from a group of “diehard fans” on BBC feedback show Open Air. ...."

"Among them was a teenager who offered a quietly devastating critique of the “cliched” scripts full of “running up and down corridors and silly monsters”. His name? Chris Chibnall"

The very man who, with the aid of the BBC in 2021 ended Dr Who's legacy, and re-wrote Dr Who history. Using Neo-Feminisim and soap writers to create a show that's fit for lecturing you on the values of being a redundant male, plastics are bad for the planet, climate change is going to kill us all, and wrecking one of TV's finest characters. The Guardian is just like the BBC, full of social change messaging and promoting neo-feminist muck.
Old 20th February 2020, 10:51 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

There's an actor called Barack Stemis in the next episode.

Not exactly James Stoker, but there you go.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 20th February 2020, 10:56 AM
Cult Addict

I do think the show under Chibnall is flawed and is becoming less interesting and too preachy, but i still want to watch it and see where the series is going.

It still occasionally has the ability to produce an involving story.
And i don't mind Whittaker it's just that the writing is not giving her much to work with.

I can see the flaws but i choose to watch it and make my own mind up.

After all it's only 50 minutes of my week.

The way the show is conceived, it's very nature is to flit about, try different approaches and different types of stories.

If i don't like an episode i don't need to spend any more time on it, next week it will go somewhere else.

Keep repeating....It's only a TV show, only a TV show, only a TV show.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th February 2020, 10:56 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Here lies the problem because you won't actually know what i mean because you haven't seen any, but it doesn't have soap operatics.

Davies era did that's why characters could talk to one another. Maxine Alderton's episode last week was a complete step up from the usual monosyllabic companion speak of normal Chibnall stories because she's script editor on Emmerdale (or was) so could actually write conversations unlike most of Chibnall's era.
One flipping episode written by a soap writer, Jesus! Would you actually like to have Dr Who written by competent writers that actually understand the dynamics of Who? Says a lot when some people carry on watching, just because next weeks episode has Cybermen and Daleks in it. I won't name names of course
Old 20th February 2020, 11:01 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I do think the show under Chibnall is flawed and is becoming less interesting and too preachy, but i still want to watch it and see where the series is going.

It still occasionally has the ability to produce an involving story.
And i don't mind Whittaker it's just that the writing is not giving her much to work with.

I can see the flaws but i choose to watch it and make my own mind up.

After all it's only 50 minutes of my week.

The way the show is conceived, it's very nature is to flit about, try different approaches and different types of stories.

If i don't like an episode i don't need to spend any more time on it, next week it will go somewhere else.

Keep repeating....It's only a TV show, only a TV show, only a TV show.

I know it's only a TV show.

Once a great, brilliantly enjoyable TV show. With good and great writing. Now it's a shambolic mess.
Old 20th February 2020, 11:34 AM
Cult Addict

I was just thinking about the "Last house on the left" tagline.

"It's only a movie...."

People have a tendency to feel offended by something they don't like and so don't think others should be able to watch it either.

This superior attitude gives the impression that they think other people are stupid and their opinions are inferior.

Video nasties were banned by a knee jerk reaction by a few people who didn't even watch them.

I don't mind people having an opinion, but if you don't watch it and just act in an uninformed knee jerk way it kind of renders the criticism invalid.

Where as the people who actually watch something and have a considered opinion have an idea of what they are talking about, and can therefore discuss the pro's and con's from an informed standpoint.

Next you'll be telling us Dr Who drives dogs mental.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th February 2020, 01:18 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post

Next you'll be telling us Dr Who drives dogs mental.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th February 2020, 01:22 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
There's an actor called Barack Stemis in the next episode.

Not exactly James Stoker, but there you go.
From The Radio Times:

"Of course, it’s possible that this isn’t the clue we all think it is, and that there’s a very downcast Mr Stemis out there who had thought Who would be his big break."

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...H4mc7TMCt0x50Y

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!