Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

MrBarlow 1st March 2020 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to have a Doctor Who night at work, started off with planet of the spiders, last appearance for Jon Pertwee, receiving a blue crystal, a monastery that helps calm the mind and a group of men chanting to a meditation map but opens a doorway to Metribilis 3, where spiders rule. First time I saw this was on VHS double tape in the early 90s and loved it, the effects seemed better than some of films that came out now :lol:. Was The Master due to make a appearance in this series or was that false info?

Attachment 222899

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st March 2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 621538)
Decided to have a Doctor Who night at work, started off with planet of the spiders, last appearance for Jon Pertwee, receiving a blue crystal, a monastery that helps calm the mind and a group of men chanting to a meditation map but opens a doorway to Metribilis 3, where spiders rule. First time I saw this was on VHS double tape in the early 90s and loved it, the effects seemed better than some of films that came out now :lol:. Was The Master due to make a appearance in this series or was that false info?

Attachment 222899

I would think so yes. Lupton was supposed to be the Master role, but it was changed after Roger's death.

iank 1st March 2020 11:10 PM

Saw The Three Doctors last night. It was fun. Pat stole the show, as always.

hivemind 1st March 2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 621540)
Saw The Three Doctors last night. It was fun. Pat stole the show, as always.

I watched Twice Upon a Time this afternoon for the first time, and I mourned.

MrBarlow 2nd March 2020 01:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Revenge of the Cybermen.

The time ring returns The Doctor, Sarah and Harry to Nerva Beacon and find the crew wiped out by a space plague and the culprits are the Cybermen.

I have never been a fan of the Cybermen but this series has changed my perspective, first time seeing and enjoyed every minute of it, the costumes of the Vogans seem to have decent values and not silly as well as the positions glowing veins.

Destiny of the Daleks.

The Doctor and Romana find themselves on Skaro, and forced to be military advisers to the enemy of the Daleks while they try to revive Davros.

Tom Baker's humour is what makes this one watchable, (prefer Genesis Of The Daleks) it seemed to have a good straight forward start but as the episodes go on its like it wonders off on a different story line, until The Doctor finds Davros and becomes a bit more interesting then drifts off again. To fans of this series...dont hate me:behindsofa:

Attachment 222900 Attachment 222901

Susan Foreman 2nd March 2020 05:23 AM

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #61

Episode: 'A Christmas Carol'
Artist: Katherine Jenkins
Title: In The Bleak Midwinter / Abigail's Song
Notes:
* 'In The Bleak Midwinter' is a is a Christmas carol based on a poem by the English poet Christina Rossetti. It was originally published in January 1872
* In 'A Christmas Carol', it is sung by Katherine Jenkins, in character as Abigail Pettigrew, to the injured shark
* It can be found on the platinum edition of the 'Believe' album, released in 2010

* 'Abigail's Song', subtitled 'Silence Is All You Know', was written by Murray Gold for the story
* It is sung by Abigail to resonate the ice crystals in the air so that the spaceliner can land safely
* As with 'The Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon' from 'The Gunfighters', the song is vital to the plot
* It can be found on the 2011 CD 'Daydream'

As seen in the episode

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd March 2020 10:03 AM

Image of the Day # 329

1 Attachment(s)
William Hartnell as the FIRST Doctor. (1963-66)

Susan Foreman 2nd March 2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 621545)
William Hartnell as the FIRST Doctor. (1963-66)

Absolutely

Not seen the episode yet, but I know the revelation (could hardly miss it!) and I agree that Mr. Hartnell is #1

MIND YOU, because (I am led to believe) it came from The Master, many people are saying he is playing mind games with The Doctor, and none of it is true

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd March 2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 621547)
Absolutely

Not seen the episode yet, but I know the revelation (could hardly miss it!) and I agree that Mr. Hartnell is #1

MIND YOU, because (I am led to believe) it came from The Master, many people are saying he is playing mind games with The Doctor, and none of it is true

Yes, Susan, it goes against pretty much everything we know and love about Doctor Who.

However, it's not really an issue for when the series gets a new showrunner because it can easily be explained away as the Master manipulating the Matrix, just as the Valeyard did in Trial of a Time Lord

I can see why Chibnall did it, simply to create more mystery and possibilities for the future, but i just don't like the idea in general. As i say it's easily de-ret-conned if that's a word.

I've heard people say it's no different to where the 'Cartmel Master Plan' was heading but i think it is.

For one that was only an idea, a possibility, giving Seven (This coming Sunday's Image of the Day ;)) a broader air of mystery hinting that he, along with Omega and Rassilon basically created all things Time Lord. If Chibnall had gone that same route it would have been fine in a way but this episode failed to mention Omega, Rassilon or anyone other than made up 'new' characters for Chibnall. Plus of course the 'Cartmel Master Plan' was canceled before it could take off.

The episode other than that was pretty good i thought. Actually a better series finale than Russell or Steven usually managed. Plus the fact that the Master and his race of...Oops...spoliers.

When you've seen it i'll get back to you. :pop2:

Rob4 2nd March 2020 04:58 PM

Last night's episode up to the last moments was pretty good in terms of action and drama but i have major problems with the retconned past and how it impacts on the Doctor's character. i'll give some thoughts once a few more people have seen it.