Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

hivemind 8th March 2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 621873)
I've simply made my peace with it no longer being the show it once was. This isn't something recent it happened when we were lumbered with a female Doctor.

Political correctness has destroyed Doctor Who as it has Bond and Star Wars. I'm not happy but that's how it is.

That sounds like my father talking.

Maybe i should take the landspeeder to Mos Eisley and find a pilot who'll take me to Alderaan.

Christ! You haven't been taking those magic mushrooms again :pound:

I'll need bloody anti-depressents before long. I'm still in mourning.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th March 2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 621874)
Shocking wasn't it. I nearly chucked my spider plant out the window after that American revelation. Other than that, I still had a lot of respect for McGann. He was Doctor Who. Thanks to Big Finish, McGann has delivered the goods in sound minus vision.

Me too, the BF stories i have with him are great.

Can't wait for the Jo Martin adventures. Coming soon to Big Finish.

hivemind 8th March 2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 621876)
Me too, the BF stories i have with him are great.

Can't wait for the Jo Martin adventures. Coming soon to Big Finish.

Well at least we can agree on that. McGann was also terrific in Paper Mask, Withnail & I and Dealers.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th March 2020 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 621877)
Well at least we can agree on that. McGann was also terrific in Paper Mask, Withnail & I and Dealers.

Dickens' My Mutual Friend too.

We agree on most things, the only difference is the way we interpret what Chinballs has done with the show. Neither of us like it that's for certain, even if i have enjoyed some episodes for what they were.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th March 2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 621875)
Christ! You haven't been taking those magic mushrooms again :pound:

I'll need bloody anti-depressents before long. I'm still in mourning.

It's three years since the show went up the shitter with Twice Upon a Time. I've had plenty of recovery time.

hivemind 8th March 2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 621878)
We agree on most things, the only difference is the way we interpret what Chinballs has done with the show. Neither of us like it that's for certain, even if i have enjoyed some episodes for what they were.

You're telling me

Chinballs indeed! :lol:

hivemind 8th March 2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 621878)
Dickens' My Mutual Friend too.

BBC's adaptation. I've got that on BBC DVD. Came in a large BBC DVD book pack with loads of Charles Dickens BBC adaptations. Do you remember McGann in The Rainbow with David Hemmings?

hivemind 8th March 2020 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 621879)
It's three years since the show went up the shitter with Twice Upon a Time. I've had plenty of recovery time.

That's my cut off point. 12 regenerations with Capaldi. Though Capaldi got short changed by some not so good stories. I still go back to Flatline and Mummy on the Orient Express. There's moments when you just feel Capaldi is the Doctor. He fits the role like a glove. Manic and unpredictable, but always has that smooth underbelly. Can't wait for Capaldi on Big Finish.

iank 9th March 2020 12:22 AM

Twice Upon a Turd should have been the cutoff for any long term fan with any self-respect. Anyone with any lingering doubt that the sex change was being done for any reason other than male-hating politicking should have had their minds well and truly changed by the hateful, full-on Commie revisionist history attack on the 1st Doctor. I knew what was behind the move but even I didn't expect that kind of utterly repugnant revisionism.

Susan Foreman 9th March 2020 05:02 AM

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #65

Episode: 'Asylum Of The Daleks' (i)
Artist: Rudimental featuring John Newman
Title: Feel the Love
Notes:
* Played while Amy is Posing for a Photoshoot
* Released as a single in 2012, the song entered the UK charts at #1
* It can be found on the 2013 album 'Home'