Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
Just been reading a thread on the Missing Episodes forum started by a kid who claims that his friend has 24 missing episodes:

www.missing-episodes.com - 24 missing episodes, tiny possibility?

You can smell the bullsh*t from miles away but wouldn't it be funny if it turned out to be true? We'll find out in a weeks time
It does have 'bollocks' written all over it, particularly when he doesn't seem too sure himself which episodes have been 'discovered'. I'd love to be wrong though. I've always hoped the Who team are keeping some new 'lost episodes' discoveries to be unveiled next year on the 50th anniversary
RedEyeTheCylon likes this.
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
It does have 'bollocks' written all over it, particularly when he doesn't seem too sure himself which episodes have been 'discovered'. I'd love to be wrong though. I've always hoped the Who team are keeping some new 'lost episodes' discoveries to be unveiled next year on the 50th anniversary
I've often wondered about that myself.
Old 22nd October 2012, 06:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
Cover artwork for Shada:

Hopefully More Than 30 Years will get a separate cover for the Region 2 release
I've never seen Shada ( or what's left of it ) so I'm really looking forward to this one. Anyone else seen it? Is it any good?
Old 22nd October 2012, 06:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've never seen Shada ( or what's left of it ) so I'm really looking forward to this one. Anyone else seen it? Is it any good?
Unfortunately not really. The story itself is pretty good, but the parts they filmed were actually pretty dull. Everyone standing about at Cambridge or punting along the Thames.
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Unfortunately not really. The story itself is pretty good, but the parts they filmed were actually pretty dull. Everyone standing about at Cambridge or punting along the Thames.
Aw well - at least it's got Lalla Ward in it

I never really liked the Graham Williams era to be honest, particularly coming after Philip Hinchcliffe made the show unmissable.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

By the way, fans of classic Who really need to get their mitts on these series of books. Intelligently written, incredibly well researched, witty and informative, I cannot recommend them highly enough:

51-OCuBltIL__SS500_.jpg
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Been reading about the special edition of this.

They say the picture is far superior to the older dvd. Like you, its a favourite of mine so i may have to buy it again, when its come down in price.
Just grabbed this from WH Smith today - well as they making an effort in trying to sell dvds again and the price £15 was comparable to supermarket prices and not HMV prices, I thought they deserved a sale.

Not seen this one before - now to decide between Claws, Ambassadors of Death, and Ark in Space.
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I must admit I'm not really a great fan of the Pertwee Dalek stories, although I do like Day Of The Daleks.

Although Spearhead From Space is top of my list, I love the whole of season 7 - I don't think it's ever been bettered. Outside that, I'd say my favourite Pertwee tales are The Daemons, The Claws Of Axos and The Sea Devils.

Like you, I never really liked the Peladon stories either!

From what I've seen, Season 7 is the best of the Pertwee era. Outside it, I'd go for The Sea Devils, Frontier in Space/Planet of the Daleks, and Three Doctors for sheer enjoyment of the banter between Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton, even if brief.

And I agree with Demdike - give me Monster of Peladon over Curse anyday.
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:46 PM
Cult Addict

Curse is prity dull, only improved by some interesting exposition on the Federation and the ever brillient presence of the Ice Warriors. Even when freindly there bad ass!
Monsters great though, a genuin classic.
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Curse veers dangerously close to agitprop and I hate that. Only the Ice Warriors, the Doctor's lullaby to Aggedor and Arcturus saved it for me.

I saw the first episode - it took me a year to return and watch the remaining three.

Like this? Share it using the links below!