Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2012, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

They've been filming Neil Gaiman's episode today and according to fans who were watching the filming, the Cybermen have been redesigned:

Quote from Timeboy:
Quote:
Very similar to the Cybus ones, but they have tighter armour and Tomb of the Cybermen-like faces!!! Really shiny. The armour is like slim-fitted rubber, similar to the new Sontarans, but silver. Guns fixed on arms, and the leader has an extra gun.

They’re walking softly, slowly, and quietly, like the Hartnell/Troughton era Cybermen
Apparantly it was requested that no photos be taken of the filming but no doubt some will surface soon.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:49 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
They've been filming Neil Gaiman's episode today and according to fans who were watching the filming, the Cybermen have been redesigned:
Apparently this episode has the title 'The Last Cyberman'

Someone left Gaiman's Who script in a cab—here's the title! | Blastr

Personally, I would like to see 'The First Cyberman'. I'm surprised that they have not yet done the same thing that they did in 'Genesis of the Daleks', and given us an adventure showing the backstory and original creation of the Cybermen

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 9th November 2012, 05:50 AM
Cult Master

Vader wouldn't stand a chance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic096.jpg (15.4 KB, 2 views)

Old 9th November 2012, 06:01 AM
Cult Master

Extras have been announced:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
7th January - The Legacy Box ('Shada', 'More than 30 Years in the TARDIS')
'Shada'

Commentary for the 2003 animated version, with Paul McGann as The Dctor. (No idea who is actually doing the commentary tho)
Photo Gallery
Taken Out of Time - The Making and Breaking of Shada
Now and Then
Strike, Strike, Strike
Being a Girl

'More Than 30 Years in the TARDIS'

Remembering Nicholas Courtney
Doctor Who Stories - Peter Purves
The Lambert Tapes
Richard Martin's Memories of Verity
Those Deadly Divas
Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
28th January - 'The Reign of Terror'
Commentary
Don't Lose Your Head - The Making of 'The Reign of Terror
Photo Gallery
Animation Gallery
Doctor Who - The Return of The Doctor - The Reign of Terror Trailer
Hawkmonger likes this.

Old 9th November 2012, 03:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

A more detailed description of the Cybermen from Timeboy and a description of one of the scenes they were filming:
Quote:
The new Cybermen are amazing! I got right up close, but was asked by the castle workers not to take any photos, so I didn't. The castle was open to the public as normal.

They really are stunning. Less knight, armour-like, and more tight silver rubber. The material looked like it was the same as the new series Sontarans, sprayed silver. It was quite a bit like the Cybermen from The Invasion, especially on the arms and lets. They have what looks like a small chest gun in the form of a camera iris sort of shape, kind of strapped onto their chest. They've got guns on their arms like the ones in Army of Ghosts. The head is less angular than the Cybus design, and more smooth and rounded like in Tomb of the Cybermen. They have the corrugated ear pieces, although its very subtle. The mouth is similar to the Tomb design too. It looks like more of a rubber mask than the Cybus "helmets". The handlebars and teardrop eye are still there. The hands look like a man with tight silver washing up gloves on!

They move slowly, although its still in an organised manner, with a choreographer on set. They don't stop at all. They calmly wander towards Clara, almost like zombies. One thing I found a bit distracting was the squeaky noise! Because they're made out of some sort of rubber (shoes included), and obviously they've just been made, there was a really annoying noise. Like when you get a new pair of trainers!

They really have cherry picked the best components of all the Cybermen designs. They've managed to make them more, dare I say it, cloth-like, than I ever thought would be acceptable in 2012/13. There's also a bit of continuity between the Cybus design and these ones, such as the handlebars, teardrops and some of the abdominal section of the suit. But there's no longer any black wiring underneath (as far as I could tell), and they look much slimmer and less bulkier than the Cybusmen. It looks like its only made up of a few pieces, compared to all the sections of arm, leg and chest armour the previous designs had. Looking at the series 2-6 Cybermen now, they look rubbish! They've got the design spot on. They'll go down very well on here I think.

In terms of the scene filmed... The Cybermen appear out of smoke towards Clara, creeping slowly towards her. She grabs a mace, and swings it all over the place, hitting them. It doesn't do anything, so she accepts defeat and throws the mace away in anger, then dodges the Cybermen and escapes! Army people with big guns come and shoot the Cybermen, and the Cybermen fire their arm guns back, hitting some of the soldiers.
Mojo likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 04:06 PM
Cult Addict

Sound intruiging, The Invasion is my favourete Doctor Who story of all time, so i'm happy to see that that design was used as a reference point.
Mojo likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 06:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Sound intruiging, The Invasion is my favourete Doctor Who story of all time, so i'm happy to see that that design was used as a reference point.
The Invasion is my favourite Cybermen story by far. From the quote in RedEye's post, I'm hoping it's an Earth invasion story. The description of the new design does sound intriguing. Looking forward to seeing some photos...
Old 9th November 2012, 06:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Earthshock is easily my favourite Cybermen story.

Back when it aired in 1982 no one had any idea it was a Cybermen story. JN-T brilliantly kept it secret, apparently refusing a Radio Times cover to hide their appearance. The joy at the end of episode one was something to behold.

The story is action packed with some brilliant cliffhangers, to beat them all came the death of Adric, which back then was a huge shock and quite moving as the credits rolled in silence.

Granted Beryl Reid is a bit crap, but she's the only weak point in an otherwise top notch story.
mr 420 likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 07:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Nah its not The Invasion design its the Revenge of the Cybermen design.
Old 9th November 2012, 07:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Nah its not The Invasion design its the Revenge of the Cybermen design.
Do not make me post that PeeWee Herman pic twice in one thread!

Like this? Share it using the links below!