Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28443Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2020, 09:50 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampconcept View Post
I have never seen Dr. Who before. Saw some clips on Youtube, looks good. Which series is the best one to watch?
If you ask 50 different 'Doctor Who' fans for the best stories, you will get 50 different answers!

It all depends on what you are looking for, but the most popular stories are the ones that feature Tom Baker as the Doctor. If you like Gothic horror, check out the ones made between 1975 - 1977 ['The Ark In Space' to 'The Talons Of Weng Chinag']
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th November 2020, 12:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I have never seen Dr. Who before. Saw some clips on Youtube, looks good. Which series is the best one to watch?
I'd say start at Rose (2005) when the series was rebooted after nearly twenty years away and see what you think. If you enjoy that then have a look at some of the older ones mentioned previously. They are played out at a much slower pace and may not suit a modern audience who has no previous affinity towards them.

Despite what Susan says Tom Baker isn't now the most popular Doctor, that honour goes to David Tennant i would think, even though he's not my favourite.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 29th November 2020, 01:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 598

The creepy (but under used) Whisper Men from The Name of the Doctor (2013)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p0195wnx.jpg (39.5 KB, 26 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 29th November 2020, 08:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

I can't imagine someone on a "Cult" forum is overly obsessed with modern slickness and MTV pacing, so I'd ignore Demdike and watch some Tom, mate.
I wouldn't inflict most New Who on my worst enemy.
Old 29th November 2020, 08:31 PM
Cult Master

New trailer

trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th November 2020, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Good question. The best place to start would be Patrick Troughton. One story that's always been a significant starting point for me was The Tomb of the Cybermen. Troughton was so perfectly cast as the Doctor, and War Games being a 10-parter, showed the dynamic range of Troughton's Doctor with a story that pushed the boundaries of Dr Who storytelling on a limited budget.

iank said, Tom Baker is the Doctor Who icing on the cake. The cherries on that Tom Baker icing in terms of stories would be Seeds of Doom, The Deadly Assassin, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, Horror of Fang Rock, and if you can swallow a vampire on a model stick, leader vampire, the "Great One" in the State of Decay. State of Decay has some delightful Gothic tones, and superb costume design with a rather sinister story of three vampire lords who rule the planet. Baker's on fine form though. I would actually recommend watching the entire E-Space Trilogy (Full Circle, State of Decay and Warriors Gate), which State of Decay is a part of.

Peter Davison had the classic Earthshock, but do look at Mawdryn Undead, I still rather enjoy the story as a singular story on it's own. And of course, my favourite Davison story, The Visitation. Watch out for a truly BAFTA Award Winning Performance by Michael Robbins as Richard Mace, he steals the show. Black Orchid is great as well.

As for New Who under Chris Chibnall and those fart heads at the BBC, it's totally killed the show off, and rewrote Dr Who law. But at least you have some REAL Dr Who to make you respect the show when it actually meant something in the heart of those that enjoyed it. Good Luck!
iank likes this.
Old 29th November 2020, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I can't imagine someone on a "Cult" forum is overly obsessed with modern slickness and MTV pacing, so I'd ignore Demdike and watch some Tom, mate.
I wouldn't inflict most New Who on my worst enemy.
I've probably watched more of Matt Smith's tenure and Capaldi's Series 8 than Series 1 or Tennant's period. Yes, there's some great Tennant stories that always get's me coming back for more, but I still like Flatline with Capaldi. Oh, how I miss Dr Who when it actually wanted to be like Dr Who with some sort of science fiction angle.

I'm certain Demdike will like The Emasculation of the Daleks with Imposter Who.

GOOD LUCK DEM. Enjoy slurping up the shit show of the year that once was the greatest sci-fi show on TV. John Barrowman must be desperate for the cash, God bless him.
Old 29th November 2020, 10:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Funnily enough, I watched Flatline last night. It is one of the few good eps of series 8. And it's a shame, cause Capaldi was a fine choice for the role but didn't half get served some trollop.
Mojo and hivemind like this.
Old 29th November 2020, 10:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Funnily enough, I watched Flatline last night. It is one of the few good eps of series 8. And it's a shame, cause Capaldi was a fine choice for the role but didn't half get served some trollop.
Didn't take long for me to connect with Capaldi. He was somewhat 'rough around the edges', but by word, what a great Doctor he was. Sometimes you don't appreciate something until it's gone, but Capaldi was last best thing to happen to Dr Who. I still throughly enjoy Deep Breath, and also Mummy on the Orient Express. I suppose Mummy felt like a more McCoyish story from the 1988 period than any other time in the 1980's. Yeah, Flatline is a water mark moment with Capaldi's Doctor. It's atmosphere and dark nature captures everything I like about Capaldi's performance. Capaldi was robbed in the story department, but compare Capaldi's tenure to the monstrous nature of what was to come, I think it's a safe bet that Dr Who and Doctor Twelve was the best place to end a great TV show with a highly commendable performance from Capaldi. Twelve regenerations it is. And forever more........
Old 29th November 2020, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I've probably watched more of Matt Smith's tenure and Capaldi's Series 8 than Series 1 or Tennant's period. Yes, there's some great Tennant stories that always get's me coming back for more, but I still like Flatline with Capaldi. Oh, how I miss Dr Who when it actually wanted to be like Dr Who with some sort of science fiction angle.

I'm certain Demdike will like The Emasculation of the Daleks with Imposter Who.

GOOD LUCK DEM. Enjoy slurping up the shit show of the year that once was the greatest sci-fi show on TV. John Barrowman must be desperate for the cash, God bless him.
Don't bring me into your rantings, mate. Got f*ck all to do with me.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!