Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28657Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2021, 11:15 AM
Cult Master

Daily Mirror again!

Next Doctor Who: All the rumours and bookies favourites to replace Jodie Whittaker

"But who will be next to take on the role?

Kris Marshall

Bookies are currently offering odds on Death in Paradise and My Family star Kris Marshall.

Coral's John Hill revealed: "Kris Marshall has been popular over the last few days with leading bookmaker Coral to play the next Doctor Who where he is odds-on at 1-2 in the betting with the firm.

"Kris Marshall was linked with being the next Doctor Who before Jodie Whittaker was handed the role, however, the latest betting suggests he may feature as the Time Lord after all," he added.

Michael Sheen

David Tennant's Staged co star Michael Sheen could be a contender to replace Jodie, as the show is produced in BBC Wales.

With actors less likely to be able to travel far this year due to the coronavirus, could the next Doctor be Welsh?

Michael has starred on the show before, appearing as the voice of an entity called the House in an episode named The Doctor's Wife in 2011.

Joanna Page

Similarly, Gavin & Stacey star Joanna Page could also be replacing Jodie, and this casting would be in keeping with the recent female regeneration.

Joanna has also starred on the show before, playing Elizabeth I, and her Zygon duplicate, in the 50th anniversary special The Day of the Doctor.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge

According to Coral's John Hill, Phoebe Waller-Bridge is second best to replace Jodie at 3-1.

Phoebe has been rumoured to play the Doctor since 2017 and Jodie even apologised to her for all the speculation.

When asked about the Doctor Who role in 2017, Phoebe replied: "I am… not allowed to say anything about that, one way or the other.

"Um… It’d be cool, but… I might be doing other stuff."

Tom Rosenthal

Bookies have also named Tom Rosenthal as a contender to replace Jodie, though his is another name that has been bandied around for years.

Friday Night Dinner star Tom said in 2017: "I’d be a fool to say I wasn’t interested in playing the Doctor but I honestly haven’t heard anything at all."

James Norton

Happy Valley star James Norton is also hot in the running, according to the bookies.

He starred in the Doctor Who episode Cold War in 2013, and has since expressed his desire to star in the franchise once again,

Could it be in the starring role?

Idris Elba

Iconic Brit actor Idris Elba was widely rumoured to be cast as the 13th Doctor before it was confirmed as Jodie.

Quizzed on the rumours, Idris appeared to dispell them by saying: "I'd look silly in a bow tie."

Former showrunner Steven Moffat confirmed that before Jodie's casting, they offered the role to a black actor, but it fell through for unknown reasons.
Idris Elba has been rumoured as the next Doctor for years

He agreed it would be "refreshing" to have a Doctor and sidekick who were both BAME, admitting the show "needs to do better" with diversity in casting.

"I mean, we’ve tried. The part has been offered to a black actor. But for various reasons, it didn’t work out," he said.

Charlotte Ritchie

Ghosts star Charlotte Ritchie has been rumoured as a possible replacement to be the second ever female Doctor.

She starred as Lin in the New Year's Day episode in 2019, named Resolution.

She is otherwise known for starring in Fresh Meat and Call The Midwife, and once starred in the classical music group All Angels.

Ben Whishaw

Ben Whishaw was initially the favorite to take over from Peter Capaldi before the next Doctor was announced as Jodie.
Ben Whishaw has previously denied he would ever accept the role

But the actor, who played Q in James Bond film Skyfall, claimed it would be "wrong" for him to have the part.

"It's not going to be me," he insisted.

"But I don't mind - I don't think you can be Q and Doctor Who.

"It would be a bit wrong."

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Chiwetel Ejiofor was also rumoured to be the black actor who was offered the Doctor Who role before Matt Smith.

The 12 Years a Slave star was reportedly offered the role but was unable to agree terms with the corporation, according to RadioTimes.

Could they have agreed on a contract this time around?

Tom Ellis

Lucifer star Tom Ellis recently revealed that before he landed the titular role on the Netflix show, he had his eye on another role.

He admitted he would love to play Doctor Who, though he had lost any hope of it ever happening.

"Back in the day, I would have loved to have had an opportunity to play Doctor Who," he said.

"I just never think that ever would have happened.

"Partly because I’d have done this show – and I just don’t think people thought of me like that."

However, he has starred in the show before - appearing in series three alongside the 10th Doctor, David Tennant.

Gillian Anderson

Doctor Who fans online have put forward X-Files and Sex Education star Gillian Anderson for the next Doctor Who, continuing the role as a woman.

Gillian has also been named by one of the show's former writers, Neil Gaiman, who said: "I don’t think there’s anything Gillian can’t do."

He also listed Sue Perkins and Helen Mirren as potential Doctors for the future, and as new showrunner Chris Chibnall promises to be genderblind with the role, it could well be another woman. Julia Foster has been named on a Doctor Who fan website

Eddie Redmayne

Eddie Redmayne threw his hat in the ring to play the Doctor in 2016, when he told BBC Radio 1 host Nick Grimshaw: "Would I do it? Yeah! It's a great show.

"I do see the resemblance. I see the scarf, I see the coat, I see the bow tie.

"I'm also a huge fan of those actors, love Matt Smith. I suppose the briefcase has a Tardis vibe to it - so yeah!"

Julia Foster

A Doctor Who fan website DoctorWhoTV claims that Julia Foster, 77, will be replacing Jodie, after correctly predicting Jodie would step down after the festive episode.

She previously starred in an episode named Orphan 55, and is otherwise known for films including Alfie, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th January 2021, 11:19 AM
Cult Master

In memory of Barbara Shelley (1932-2021)

Played Sorasta in the 1984 story 'Planet of Fire'

Old 4th January 2021, 11:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Like Matt Smith you mean? In fact David Tennant was not what you'd call famous before he got the role.
As a eg of what I mean wether you like them or not.

Orlando bloom was mainly lord of the ring that made him big he was relative new
Daniel Radcliffe mainly started of in Harry Potter
Alan rickman before die hard had apart from Romeo and Juliet and Shelley only played in a few episode of a handful of tv series .
Old 4th January 2021, 11:32 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
As a eg of what I mean wether you like them or not.

Orlando bloom was mainly lord of the ring that made him big he was relative new
Daniel Radcliffe mainly started of in Harry Potter
Alan rickman before die hard had apart from Romeo and Juliet and Shelley only played in a few episode of a handful of tv series .
What i meant was with casting Smith and Tennant they have cast unknowns as Doctors in the past, something you didn't seem to realise from your earlier post, gag.
Old 4th January 2021, 11:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I wasn’t proposing as then as doctor who, it was just a eg of them hitting big time on the films that made them famous they was in, and just a mere suggesting someone who fresh and new on the acting the scene as the new doctor , but I’m not here to nitpick with each other after all most people think it’s beyond repair now anyway, and it is what it is And bbc will do what they want with it, I just watch it now for the mere fact it’s there.
Old 4th January 2021, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
It's very difficult to give so much a single eff. Whoever they get, it'll still be crap.
Yep. ****ing horrific. No re-boot, re-imagining re-anything will undo what's been done to this dumpster fire. The BBC will CONtinue shitting all over this show until the BBC is totally defunded of the License Fee. People like me pay for this shite up until early December of last year when finally I cancelled my Licence Fee for good. Even the Xmas BBC output was a disgrace.
Old 4th January 2021, 01:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Daily Mirror again!

Next Doctor Who: All the rumours and bookies favourites to replace Jodie Whittaker

"But who will be next to take on the role?

Kris Marshall

Bookies are currently offering odds on Death in Paradise and My Family star Kris Marshall.

Coral's John Hill revealed: "Kris Marshall has been popular over the last few days with leading bookmaker Coral to play the next Doctor Who where he is odds-on at 1-2 in the betting with the firm.

"Kris Marshall was linked with being the next Doctor Who before Jodie Whittaker was handed the role, however, the latest betting suggests he may feature as the Time Lord after all," he added.

Michael Sheen

David Tennant's Staged co star Michael Sheen could be a contender to replace Jodie, as the show is produced in BBC Wales.

With actors less likely to be able to travel far this year due to the coronavirus, could the next Doctor be Welsh?

Michael has starred on the show before, appearing as the voice of an entity called the House in an episode named The Doctor's Wife in 2011.

Joanna Page

Similarly, Gavin & Stacey star Joanna Page could also be replacing Jodie, and this casting would be in keeping with the recent female regeneration.

Joanna has also starred on the show before, playing Elizabeth I, and her Zygon duplicate, in the 50th anniversary special The Day of the Doctor.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge

According to Coral's John Hill, Phoebe Waller-Bridge is second best to replace Jodie at 3-1.

Phoebe has been rumoured to play the Doctor since 2017 and Jodie even apologised to her for all the speculation.

When asked about the Doctor Who role in 2017, Phoebe replied: "I am… not allowed to say anything about that, one way or the other.

"Um… It’d be cool, but… I might be doing other stuff."

Tom Rosenthal

Bookies have also named Tom Rosenthal as a contender to replace Jodie, though his is another name that has been bandied around for years.

Friday Night Dinner star Tom said in 2017: "I’d be a fool to say I wasn’t interested in playing the Doctor but I honestly haven’t heard anything at all."

James Norton

Happy Valley star James Norton is also hot in the running, according to the bookies.

He starred in the Doctor Who episode Cold War in 2013, and has since expressed his desire to star in the franchise once again,

Could it be in the starring role?

Idris Elba

Iconic Brit actor Idris Elba was widely rumoured to be cast as the 13th Doctor before it was confirmed as Jodie.

Quizzed on the rumours, Idris appeared to dispell them by saying: "I'd look silly in a bow tie."

Former showrunner Steven Moffat confirmed that before Jodie's casting, they offered the role to a black actor, but it fell through for unknown reasons.
Idris Elba has been rumoured as the next Doctor for years

He agreed it would be "refreshing" to have a Doctor and sidekick who were both BAME, admitting the show "needs to do better" with diversity in casting.

"I mean, we’ve tried. The part has been offered to a black actor. But for various reasons, it didn’t work out," he said.

Charlotte Ritchie

Ghosts star Charlotte Ritchie has been rumoured as a possible replacement to be the second ever female Doctor.

She starred as Lin in the New Year's Day episode in 2019, named Resolution.

She is otherwise known for starring in Fresh Meat and Call The Midwife, and once starred in the classical music group All Angels.

Ben Whishaw

Ben Whishaw was initially the favorite to take over from Peter Capaldi before the next Doctor was announced as Jodie.
Ben Whishaw has previously denied he would ever accept the role

But the actor, who played Q in James Bond film Skyfall, claimed it would be "wrong" for him to have the part.

"It's not going to be me," he insisted.

"But I don't mind - I don't think you can be Q and Doctor Who.

"It would be a bit wrong."

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Chiwetel Ejiofor was also rumoured to be the black actor who was offered the Doctor Who role before Matt Smith.

The 12 Years a Slave star was reportedly offered the role but was unable to agree terms with the corporation, according to RadioTimes.

Could they have agreed on a contract this time around?

Tom Ellis

Lucifer star Tom Ellis recently revealed that before he landed the titular role on the Netflix show, he had his eye on another role.

He admitted he would love to play Doctor Who, though he had lost any hope of it ever happening.

"Back in the day, I would have loved to have had an opportunity to play Doctor Who," he said.

"I just never think that ever would have happened.

"Partly because I’d have done this show – and I just don’t think people thought of me like that."

However, he has starred in the show before - appearing in series three alongside the 10th Doctor, David Tennant.

Gillian Anderson

Doctor Who fans online have put forward X-Files and Sex Education star Gillian Anderson for the next Doctor Who, continuing the role as a woman.

Gillian has also been named by one of the show's former writers, Neil Gaiman, who said: "I don’t think there’s anything Gillian can’t do."

He also listed Sue Perkins and Helen Mirren as potential Doctors for the future, and as new showrunner Chris Chibnall promises to be genderblind with the role, it could well be another woman. Julia Foster has been named on a Doctor Who fan website

Eddie Redmayne

Eddie Redmayne threw his hat in the ring to play the Doctor in 2016, when he told BBC Radio 1 host Nick Grimshaw: "Would I do it? Yeah! It's a great show.

"I do see the resemblance. I see the scarf, I see the coat, I see the bow tie.

"I'm also a huge fan of those actors, love Matt Smith. I suppose the briefcase has a Tardis vibe to it - so yeah!"

Julia Foster

A Doctor Who fan website DoctorWhoTV claims that Julia Foster, 77, will be replacing Jodie, after correctly predicting Jodie would step down after the festive episode.

She previously starred in an episode named Orphan 55, and is otherwise known for films including Alfie, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner."

Weren't most of them favourites from last time, just seems the same list with a few female actors added.

Sure Chris Marshall was fav last time and he wasn't even in the running. As mentioned elsewhere it doesn't matter who they get and how great a actor they are they will still be shit because of the writing and the bbc agender!
Old 4th January 2021, 04:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'd like to see it go very dark and very scary. Maybe something like the Philip Hinchcliffe years. Get some controversy back into it even if it means gratuitous violence and a more morally ambivalent Doctor. Recently - and its been going that way since Nu-Who was a thing - the Doctor as a character, has been neutered.
Old 4th January 2021, 05:19 PM
Cult Master

It's sad to think that out of all the producers from Classic Who, Philip Hinchcliffe is the only one who is still alive

Verity Lambert - Birth date: 27 November 1935 / Death date: 22 November 2007
John Wiles - Birth date: 20 September 1925 / Death date: 5 April 1999
Innes Lloyd - Birth date: 24 December 1925 / Death date: 23 August 1991
Peter Bryant - Birth date: 27 October 1923 / Death date: 19 May 2006
Derrick Sherwin - Birth date: 16 April 1936 / Death date: 17 October 2018
Barry Letts - Birth date: 26 March 1925 / Death date: 9 October 2009
Philip Hinchcliffe - Birth date: 1 October 1944
Graham Williams - Birth date: 24 May 1945 / Death date: 17 August 1990
John Nathan-Turner - Birth date: 12 August 1947 / Death date: 1 May 2002

Old 5th January 2021, 06:07 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #273a
Name: Henry Stamper
Year(s): 1967
Stories: The Enemy Of The World episode 1
Character(s): Anton

Before Who:
Films - None
Television: Z Cars: The Fanatics / The Wednesday Play: A Knight In Tarnished Armour

After Who:
Films - None
Television - Softly Softly: Quicker by Rail / A Man of our Times [2 episodes as Colin Gregson] / The Avengers: Take Me to Your Leader* / The National Dream: Building the Impossible Railway [2 episodes as Hugh Allan] / BBC2 Playhouse: Elizabeth Alone / Oliver Twist
Who: Before And After #273b
Name: Simon Cain
Year(s): 1967 / 1970
Stories: The Enemy Of The World episode 1 / Doctor Who And The Silurians episode 4 - Doctor Who And The Silurians episode 7
Character(s): Curly / Silurian, Private Upton

Before Who:
Films - Carry On Cowboy* (1965), The Blood Beast Terror* (1967), Carry On Follow That Camel (1967)

Television: No Hiding Place: A Bottle Full of Sixpences / The Rat Catchers: Big Grab - Amsterdam / Vendetta

After Who:
Films - Carry On Doctor (1968), Carry On Up The Khyber* (1968), The Chairman (1969), School for Sex (1969), Doctor in Trouble* (1970), Carry On At Your Convenience (1971)

Television - The Gold Robbers [2 episodes as Telephone Operator] / Manhunt: The Ugly Side of War / Ryan International: Weekend / Doomwatch: Invasion
Who: Before And After #273c
Name: Rhys McConnochie
Year(s): 1967
Stories: The Enemy Of The World episode 1
Character(s): Rod

Before Who:
Films - None
Television: The Wars of the Roses [3 episodes as Vernon]

After Who:
Films - The Wild Duck (1983), Empty Beach (1985), Bullseye (1987), The Brotherhood of the Rose (1989), Darlings of the Gods (1990), The Hunting (1990), The Ring of Scorpio (1991), Romulus, My Father (2007), The Cup (2011)
Television - Churchill's People: A Bill of Mortality / Play for Today: The Imitation Game / The Last Bastion [3 episodes as Air Chief Marshal Portal] / Carson's Law [3 episodes as Comission Counsel] / Bodyline [7 episodes as Pelham Warner] / Anzacs [3 episodes as David Lloyd George] / Erebus: The Aftermath [4 episodes as Des Dalghety] / A Country Practice: In Sickness and in Health / Come in Spinner / Brides of Christ [4 episodes as Monsignor] / Bootleg [3 episodes as Mr. Farmer] / Stingers: Daddy's Little Diamond / MDA [10 episodes as Giles Jones QC] / City Homicide [2 episodes as Callum Ryan] / Offspring [3 episodes as Dr. Schumaker]

Like this? Share it using the links below!