Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2021, 08:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I quite fancy these hardbacks.

Coming this August is a two-volume celebration of this much-loved storyteller, collecting ten of Terrance Dicks’ best Doctor Who novels, as chosen by fans.

Volume One contains, complete and unabridged:

Doctor Who and the Dalek Invasion of Earth
Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen
Doctor Who and the Wheel in Space
Doctor Who and the Auton Invasion
Doctor Who and the Day of the Daleks

Volume Two contains, complete and unabridged:

Doctor Who and the Genesis of the Daleks
Doctor Who and the Pyramids of Mars
Doctor Who and the Talons of Weng-Chiang
Doctor Who and the Horror of Fang Rock
Doctor Who and the Five Doctors

Available from Amazon, Waterstones and all good booksellers
My daughter bought me a copy of Day of the Daleks off ebay just last year. Read it in the bath. Quality

First one I've (re)read in about 30 years.
Old 26th March 2021, 11:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
My daughter bought me a copy of Day of the Daleks off ebay just last year. Read it in the bath. Quality

First one I've (re)read in about 30 years.
Bizarre you should mention that, Rob. I read Doctor Who and the Cybermen in the bath as a kid. Never got it wet once.

I do actually have the original Target books of all the ones in the hardback set but i really like the look of it and would love them in hardback.

Being TD they are easy reads. Basically 124 pages then STOP! See The War Games for the best example. Ten episodes in 124 pages.
nosferatu42 and Rob4 like this.
Old 27th March 2021, 07:50 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #354
Name: David Troughton
Year(s): 1969 / 1972 / 2008
Stories: The War Games episode 6 / The Curse Of Peladon episode 1 – The Curse Of Peladon episode 4 / Midnight
Character(s): Private Moor / King Peladon Of Peladon / Professor Winford Hobbes
Note: Is the son of Patrick Troughton.
  • Had previously appeared uncredited as a guard in the 1967 story 'The Enemy Of The World'.
  • Appeared as a Dalek operator in 'The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot'*
  • Appeared in numerous audio stories: From The Big Finish monthly range as The Black Guardian in both 'The Destroyer of Delights' and The Chaos Pool'
  • as Raymond Gallagher in 'The Crimes of Thomas Brewster'
  • In the DWM exclusive audio play as The Tinghus in 'Cuddlesome'
  • In the Fourth Doctor Adventures as The Black Guardian in both 'The Pursuit of History' and 'Casualties of Time'
  • In the novel adaptations as the Black Guardian in 'The Well-Mannered War'
  • In the Companion Chronicles as King Peladon Of Peladon in 'The Prisoner of Peladon'
  • In the Serpents' Crest as The Second Doctor in both 'The Hexford Invasion' and 'Survivors in Space'
  • In the Short Trips stories 'A Stain of Red in the Sand', 'The Way Forwards', 'The Five Dimensional Man' and 'Penny Wise, Pound Foolish'
  • Appeared in the Torchwood Soho story 'Parasite' as Rigsby.
  • Provided the Audiobook readings for 'The Many Hands', 'Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen', 'Ghosts of India', 'Doctor Who and the War Games', 'The Eye of the Jungle', 'Fury from the Deep', 'The Wheel of Ice', 'Doctor Who and the Curse of Peladon', 'Tales of Trenzalore', 'The Invasion', 'Doctor Who and the Web of Fear' and 'Doctor Who and the Enemy of the World'

Before Who:
Film: None
Television: ITV Play of the Week: The Tin Whistle Man

After Who:
Films: Henry VIII (1979), The Man of Destiny (1981), Give Us This Day (1982), The Chain (1984), Dance with a Stranger (1985), Cider with Rosie (1998), Captain Jack (1999), All the King's Men (1999), Madame Bovary (1999), Twelfth Night, or What You Will (2003), Hearts of Gold (2003), In Denial of Murder (2004), Battle of the Brave (2004), Nina Forever (2015), ChickLit (2016), The Levelling (2016), Royal Shakespeare Company: King Lear (2016), Royal Shakespeare Company: Titus Andronicus (2017), Royal Shakespeare Company: The Merry Wives of Windsor (2018)
Television: The Regiment [2 episodes as Albert Flack] / Full House [3 episodes as Anthony in The Millenarian] / Thirty-Minute Theatre: You've Been a Long Time, Alfred / The Edwardians: Lloyd George / Warship: Off Caps / Armchair Theatre: The Square of Three / Wessex Tales: A Tragedy of Two Ambitions / Crown Court: The Woman Least Likely / Napoleon and Love: Pauline / Boy Dominic: A Ghost in Greenwich / Microbes and Men: Certain Death / David Copperfield [6 episodes as Ham Peggotty (1974-1975)] / The Love School [3 episodes as Frederick Stephens] / Anne of Avonlea [2 episodes as Jonas Blake] / BBC Play of the Month: Chips with Everything / Jackanory Playhouse: Peter and the Princess / Our Mutual Friend [5 episodes as Mr. Sloppy] / Survivors: Lights of London / Wings [19 episodes as Lt. Richard Bravington (1976-1978] / Backs to the Land [3 episodes as Roy Whitlow] / The Norman Conquests [2 episodes as Tom] / Wodehouse Playhouse: Tangled Hearts / Crime and Punishment [2 episodes as Razumihin] / BBC2 Playhouse: The Enigma / Potter / Premiere: Braces High / Angels [7 episodes as Kevin Foreman] / The Life and Times of David Lloyd George [2 episodes as A.J. Sylvester] / Smuggler: Hogshead / ITV Playhouse: Last Night Another Dissident... / Hi-de-Hi! A Night Not to Remember / Sorry!: Sons and Lovers / A Very Peculiar Practice* [14 episodes as Dr. Bob Buzzard (1986-1988)] / Executive Stress / Bergerac: Weekend Off / Theatre Night: The Winslow Boy / Tales of Sherwood Forest [7 episodes as Det Sgt Terry] / Rab C. Nesbitt: Drink / Performance: The Trials of Oz / Screen One: A Very Polish Practice / Boon: Is There Anybody There? / Poirot: The Yellow Iris / Bonjour la Classe [6 episodes as Eric Sweety] / Sharpe [2 episodes as Sir Arthur Wellesley] / Stages: A Few Short Journeys of the Heart / Underworld [6 episodes as Martin] / Drop the Dead Donkey [2 episodes as Roy Merchant Jnr] / Undercover Heart [6 episodes as Jim Ryan] / Kavanagh QC: Time of Need / The Canterbury Tales / he Secret [2 episodes as Tony] / Ted and Alice [3 episodes as Stan] / Paradise Heights [6 episodes as Jack Edwards] / The Last Detective: Pilot / Born and Bred: Blood Relations / Trevor's World of Sport [4 episodes as Max] / Foyle's War: Among the Few / Casualty: Never Judge a Book / Fingersmith [2 episodes as Mr. Ibbs] / Jericho [4 episodes as Sgt. Clive Harvey] / Heartbeat: C'est la Vie / Casualty 1906 / Midsomer Murders / Diamond Geezer: A Royal Affair / Casualty 1907 / Casualty 1909 / New Tricks [4 episodes as Ricky Hanson] / Combat Kids [3 episodes as Whedon] / Outnumbered [3 episodes as Mr. Hunslet] / The Cafe [13 episodes as Stan Astill (2011-2013)] / Holby City: Taxi for Spence / Doctors: Snowblind / Father Brown: The Grim Reaper / The Interceptor [5 episodes as Ralph] / Unforgotten [3 episodes as Geoff] / Grantchester [4 episodes as Chief Inspector Benson] / The Hollow Crown: Henry VI Part 1 / Life [4 episodes as Robert]

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th March 2021, 01:27 PM
Cult Master

This is rather amusing

I know what you have been wondering over the years: What would happen if The Doctor was to come face-to-face with Daleks, Cybermen, Sutekh The Destroyer, Sontarons and Davros? What would it be like with a Delgado / Ainley double-header? What if Doctor Who was Japanese...and an amine?

Well, all your questions have now been answered

Old 27th March 2021, 01:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 711

An intense image of Sara Kingdom (Jean Marsh) in The Daleks' Master Plan (1965)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Counter Plot (Sara) (Medium).jpg (50.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 27th March 2021, 01:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
This is rather amusing

I know what you have been wondering over the years: What would happen if The Doctor was to come face-to-face with Daleks, Cybermen, Sutekh The Destroyer, Sontarons and Davros? What would it be like with a Delgado / Ainley double-header? What if Doctor Who was Japanese...and an amine?

When you say rather amusing don't you mean better than anything of the Whitaker era. In fact the animation pisses all over anything released officially.

Love how ruthless the Daleks are, and the finale as the Sontaran fleet arrives was genuinely quite exciting. The theme at the end is the best since the Tennant era in my opinion.
Old 27th March 2021, 06:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Both that and that Mission "redo" were the best DW I've seen in years.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th March 2021, 08:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
This is rather amusing

That was bloody excellent!
Old 28th March 2021, 06:18 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #355a
Name: Michael Napier-Brown
Year(s): 1969
Stories: The War Games episode 8 – The War Games episode 9
Character(s): Arturo Villar
Note: Was married to Who actress Vilma Hollingbery

Before Who:
Television: Moonstrike [5 episodes as the Dispatcher] / Maigret: The Cellars of the Majestic / Julius Caesar / Les Miserables: Cold Weather

After Who:
Television: The Borderers: To the Gallows Tree / Ivanhoe [7 episodes as Miller] / Doctor in the House: Look Into My Eyes / The Troubleshooters: The Price of a Bride / Casanova '73 / Doctor on the Go: When a Body Meets a Body / Secret Army: Lisa - Codename Yvette / 1990 [5 episodes as Jack Nichols] / Happy Ever After: A Woman Called Ironside / Terry and June Uncle Terry, Auntie June
Who: Before And After #355b
Name: Steven Hubay
Year(s): 1969
Stories: The War Games episode 8
Character(s): Ivan Petrov

Before Who:
Film: You Only Live Twice* (1967), The Assassination Bureau*[ (1969)

Television: The Sullavan Brothers: The Man from New York / The Plane Makers: Appointment in Brussels / Londoners: Joe Nobody / Compact: If the Shoe Fits... / 199 Park Lane [2 episodes as Vargas] / The Baron: Enemy of the State / Harry Worth: A Soldier's Farewell / The Forsyte Saga: Conflict / The Saint: The Gadget Lovers* / The White Rabbit [3 episodes as Gestapo guard] / The Wednesday Play: Kippers and Curtains / Softly Softly: Identity Unknown / The Inside Man: Death of a Friendship / The Avengers: Homicide and Old Lace*

After Who:
Films: None
Television: The Dragon's Opponent: The Battle / Warship: The Man from the Sea / Quiller: Safe Conduct

Old 28th March 2021, 09:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Bizarre you should mention that, Rob. I read Doctor Who and the Cybermen in the bath as a kid. Never got it wet once.

I do actually have the original Target books of all the ones in the hardback set but i really like the look of it and would love them in hardback.

Being TD they are easy reads. Basically 124 pages then STOP! See The War Games for the best example. Ten episodes in 124 pages.
If I'm being honest I preferred Malcolm Hulke, Brian Hayles and Gerry Davis to TD. The extra 20 pages they gave (and sometimes smaller typeface) gave the books breathing space.

Big fan of Ian Marter's efforts too.

I've seen those hardbacks go for £50+ on ebay. Expensive if you want to collect them!
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!