Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28628Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th November 2021, 08:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
The BBC, like all media corporations have obviously been given a mandate to push this agenda into the public realm for a specific reason,
Is it really? The government are in a culture war. They appointed a right wing Director General who quickly mandated that BBC employees would be sanctioned if they said anything politcal (read that as woke) on their Twitter feeds - there have been several sanctions since.

The Mash Report was completely cancelled and all comedy shows were warned about bias.

It is of course probably impossible to do this with drama as I find it difficult to name a right-wing dramatist that is any good? Would it be even possible to sell such a thing? Imagine someone in the Rovers Return saying that they think everyone who goes to a food bank are spongers whilst maintaining audience sympathy
Old 7th November 2021, 08:33 PM
Cult Master

In memory of Clifford Rose (1929 - 2021)

Played Captain Rorvik in the 1981 story 'Warriors' Gate' and provided the voice of Major Treptow in the Big Finish Productions audio story 'The Scapegoat'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th November 2021, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by will graham View Post
Yeah I agree while I still think the show would have been bad without bbc involvement but it's clear that the bbc drama department are very much in creative control of all these bad desicions. Has anyone watched any of their other shows based on existing fiction recently? There is clearly a (god I hate this term) agenda and many of their adaptations have sucked because of it.
I think it's only father brown that's been any good and even that's clearly had one of the characters prejudice towards anyone different toned down.

Then again I was disappointed with rtd as I grew up with his children shows century falls (very dark for a kids show) and dark season and both were better written then most of the stuff hes done post queer as folk.
When you look at this with common sense, and consider where the buck stops in terms of who controls a programme, and also who funds that product, it's the corporation who actively set the policy which in turn gets pumped out to the viewer. Tim Divey as Director General of the BBC is answerable to the Government, so this 'agenda' is set in motion via the Government, and then pushed through in policy form to the content makers at the BBC. It doesn't really matter who's in charge as head writer or executive producer, what get's said from ontop must be carried out. So all these lovely shows with diversity and inclusion etc ... gets pushed out, and whom ever is incharge on the show has to intergrate whatever narrative or social change message into the storyline. Dr Who has been used as an experiment to pump the woke agenda to a younger, more accepting audience who are more receptive to these messages being pumped out. I've never seen the BBC more determined to produce shows like this with such an open agenda before.
Old 7th November 2021, 11:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Is it really? The government are in a culture war. They appointed a right wing Director General who quickly mandated that BBC employees would be sanctioned if they said anything politcal (read that as woke) on their Twitter feeds - there have been several sanctions since.

The Mash Report was completely cancelled and all comedy shows were warned about bias.

It is of course probably impossible to do this with drama as I find it difficult to name a right-wing dramatist that is any good? Would it be even possible to sell such a thing? Imagine someone in the Rovers Return saying that they think everyone who goes to a food bank are spongers whilst maintaining audience sympathy
Culture war my ass. The BBC is one of the most devicisive corporate organisations in the media field. All this left/right point scoring just goes to show the very nature of the Ministry of Truth in action. The BBC may very well produce some of the best comedy, drama etc...but as a corporate entity, you really have to say that it's more open now about where it stands on a great many things, including Dr Who. Tell me something. Had Dr Who been like this in the 1970's or 1980's with some of the lowest ratings, and social change messages being thrown left right and center, back then the BBC would of axed it completely from view, never to be seen again. So, why is this show still on the air now???? It costs millions to make, and still the show is being pumped out with exceptionally low ratings. This only indicates one reason. Because the BBC needs a flagship show to push it's Governmental agenda. In late 1989, Dr Who was cancelled by the BBC. The show was steadily coming back to form, and yet the BBC took the decision to cancel a show that cost 100,000's to make per story over low ratings. Now it gets a new season virtually every year with no viewers, and the BBC doesn't complain at all. Very suspicious.
Old 7th November 2021, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Chibnall is a crap writer, though. All his previous Who work was awful. His Torchwood work was awful. Broadchurch was overrated as hell.
The guy's a hack.

Then again, so's Davies...
I've never been convinced that Chris Chibnall is a 'hack'. All Chibnall was, and is, and will be to the end, was just an agent of the BBCs policy to use Dr Who as a test bed for a woke agenda. Chibnall did the job he was paid to do. Nice if you can get it I suppose. He'll take the blame fully, and the BBC will move forward with dear Russell at the helm. Its either make or break time with Russell. Will he return Dr Who back to it's rightful place of origin, or will he just play games with the BBC pulling the strings gently behind his back? It's going to be interesting to watch and see just what happens. I find that more compelling than the show itself these days.
Old 8th November 2021, 05:32 AM
Cult Master

Guest actors appearing in THE TALONS OF WENG-CHIANG who have previously appeared in the show
  • Louise Jameson (Leela)
  • John Bennett (Li H'sen Chang)
  • Christopher Benjamin (Henry Gordon Jago)
  • Stuart Fell (The Rat)
Who: Before And After #579a
Name: Michael Spice [1931 - 1983]
Year(s): 1977
Stories: The Talons Of Weng-Chiang part 2 – The Talons Of Weng-Chiang part 6
Character(s): Magnus Greel [Weng-Chiang]
Note:
  • Had previously provided the voice of Morbius in the 1976 story 'The Brain of Morbius'
  • Was considered for the role of The Master II (The Decaying Master) in the 1976 story 'The Deadly Assassin'

Before Who:
Films: A Countess from Hong Kong* (1967), The Tragedy of King Richard II (1970), Edward II (1970),
Television: Hamlet [3 episodes as Marcellus (1961)] / The Marriage Lines: And Then There Were Five (1966) / Comedy Playhouse: The End of the Tunnel (1966) / Spindoe: Now You're Running... (1968) / Public Eye [2 episodes, different characters (1968-1975)] / Horizon: For the Safety of Mankind (1969) / Advent of Steam: The Runaway (1971) / Brett: All the King's Men (1971) / Six Days of Justice: With Intent to Deceive (1972) / Armchair Theatre: A Touch of the Victorians (1972) / The Pallisers: Part Twenty-three (1974) / Justice: It's Always a Gamble (1974) / Z Cars: Scapegoat (1975) / The Brothers: Birthday (1976)

After Who:
Films: Bothwell (1979)
Television: ITV Playhouse: Love-Lies-Bleeding (1977) / BBC2 Play of the Week: True Patriot (1977) / Blake's 7: Star One (1979) / Frost in May: Beyond the Glass (1982) / Number 10: The Asquiths (1983)
Who: Before And After #579b
Name: Deep Roy [1949 - ] [Birth name: Mohinder Purba]
Year(s): 1977
Stories: The Talons Of Weng-Chiang part 1 – The Talons Of Weng-Chiang part 6
Character(s): Mr. Sin
Note: Appeared uncredited as the Posicarian delegate in the 1986 story 'Mindwarp'

Before Who:
Films: The Pink Panther Strikes Again* (1976)

Television: The New Avengers: Target!* (1976)

After Who:
Films: Benji's Very Own Christmas Story (1978), Roots of Evil (1979), Undercover Lover (1979), Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back [uncredited as Yoda] (1980), Flash Gordon* (1980), The Dark Crystal (1982), Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983), Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984), The NeverEnding Story* (1984), Lorca and the Outlaws (1984), Return to Oz (1985), Weekend Warriors (1986), Going Bananas (1987), Alien from L.A. (1988), Lethal Woman (1988), Rising Storm (1989), Crazy Camera (1989), Disturbed (1990), Howling VI: The Freaks (1991), The Resurrected (1991), Freaked (1993), Under the Hula Moon (1995), Mafia! (1998), How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000), Planet of the Apes (2001), The Haunted Mansion (2003), Big Fish (2003), Surviving Eden (2004), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), Corpse Bride [voice only] (2005), Star Trek (2009), Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009), Adventures in Zambezia (2012), Paranormal Movie (2013), Star Trek Into Darkness (2013), Mantervention (2014), Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Television: Blake's 7 [4 episodes, different characters (1978-1980)] / Night Stand: Infomercial Addicts (1996) / The X-Files: Badlaa (2001) / Soccer with the Sirens: Lesson 1 (2009) / Eastbound & Down [3 episodes as Aaron (2010)] / Wolfpack of Reseda: Hungry Like the Wolf (2012)

Music Videos: Alice In Chains - Grind [as the evil cherub] (1995)

Old 8th November 2021, 06:51 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
When you look at this with common sense, and consider where the buck stops in terms of who controls a programme, and also who funds that product, it's the corporation who actively set the policy which in turn gets pumped out to the viewer. Tim Divey as Director General of the BBC is answerable to the Government, so this 'agenda' is set in motion via the Government, and then pushed through in policy form to the content makers at the BBC. It doesn't really matter who's in charge as head writer or executive producer, what get's said from ontop must be carried out. So all these lovely shows with diversity and inclusion etc ... gets pushed out, and whom ever is incharge on the show has to intergrate whatever narrative or social change message into the storyline. Dr Who has been used as an experiment to pump the woke agenda to a younger, more accepting audience who are more receptive to these messages being pumped out. I've never seen the BBC more determined to produce shows like this with such an open agenda before.
That really sounds like a conspiracy theory that you hear the populists throw out. You really believe our current glorious leader is on the side of the woke agenda? If this was the case, what is ITV's excuse?

Could it be that there is a diversity agenda simply because that is the way society in general is moving and the BBC is simply reflecting it back?

More likely its not an agenda for the kids but the kids driving the agenda.

As I've said before DW has always been woke, its just the writers were better at it.

Honestly, when when you take into consideration 'woke war' press like the Daily Mail, I wonder if I was cheering for the right side when I watched Genesis of the Daleks?

My problem with the woke side of the Doctor now is the alteration of the character into a whacky, namby-pamby, do-gooder flying around with companions 'with personal problems' discovering they are not the person they thought they were, not the overall message of the show which simply needs to be more subtle.
Old 8th November 2021, 09:29 AM
Cult Master

Oh!

I suppose budgetary cuts need to be made somewhere!

Apparently the mask can be ordered from Wish for $17:00!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flux Wish mask.jpg (64.4 KB, 0 views)
Demoncrat likes this.

Old 8th November 2021, 09:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Oh!

I suppose budgetary cuts need to be made somewhere!

Apparently the mask can be ordered from Wish for $17:00!

From amount of comments and complaints I’ve seen online I wouldn’t buy owt from there, Suppose to be proper low quality tat. Yet to see a decent review.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 8th November 2021, 04:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 935

Behind the scenes of The Myth Makers (1965)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg myth (1).jpg (79.7 KB, 21 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!