Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2012, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Yes, it most certainly looks like the Ice Warriors are making a long overdue re-appearance. Now if they can just bring back the Zygons...
Old 1st January 2013, 11:15 PM
Cult Addict

Old 2nd January 2013, 08:18 PM
Cult Addict

Sorta-kinda-half-Doctor Who related. Something a freind of mine over at DA knocked up.
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Liked it in part, but wasn't hating it at the end. The "humorous" bit even seemed less grafted on. Apart from the last few lines of dialogue, J'approve!!

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th January 2013, 11:23 AM
Cult Master

If it WAS the Great Intelligence, and they WERE the Snowmen, where was the controlling sphere which goes in their chests, and why didn't they look like Yeti/Teddy Bears!

More playing about with continuation

Mr. Moffatt - If it ain't broken, don't fix it

I must admit that the only classic monster I have never seen in a full adventure are the Yeti, so I was looking forward to this, only to be disappointed by character design

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th January 2013, 01:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
If it WAS the Great Intelligence, and they WERE the Snowmen, where was the controlling sphere which goes in their chests, and why didn't they look like Yeti/Teddy Bears!

More playing about with continuation

Mr. Moffatt - If it ain't broken, don't fix it

I must admit that the only classic monster I have never seen in a full adventure are the Yeti, so I was looking forward to this, only to be disappointed by character design
I read it as The Snowmen where constructs of Grants mind and the Intelligences ability to create life. I'm looking for logic in a very poor story.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 4th January 2013, 02:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I read it as The Snowmen where constructs of Grants mind and the Intelligences ability to create life. I'm looking for logic in a very poor story.
It clearly took place before The Abominable Snowmen and The Web of Fear in the historical timeline, so maybe the Great Intelligence decided fake snowmen were shite and teddy bears were cooler the next time.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 4th January 2013, 03:04 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
It clearly took place before The Abominable Snowmen and The Web of Fear in the historical timeline, so maybe the Great Intelligence decided fake snowmen were shite and teddy bears were cooler the next time.
So the Abominable Snowman/Yeti/Bigfoot/Sasquatch were only invented in the 20th century, and there is no historical record of them before that?

*Cough!

Come on, Great Intelligence - where is your intelligence?

*Serious - It seems that 'nu-Who' is happy to make 'current things' scary - teachers ('School Reunion'), mobile phones ('Rise of the Cybermen'/'The Age of Steel'), television ('The Idiots Lantern'), The Electric Light Orchestra (!) ('Love and Monsters'), traffic jams ('Gridlock'), Sat-navs ('The Sontaran Stratagem'/'The Poison Sky'), libraries/books ('Silence in the Library'/'Forest of the Dead') etc. As a television show, 'Doctor Who' should work on "universal fears", and not just those which are current

With regards to The Snowmen...there has not been enough snow in England to build one this year, therefore the designs are redundant because potentially a lot of viewers (children) would not know what one is.

By making reference to 'The Abominable Snowmen' and 'The Web of Fear', Moffatt should have kept to the classics. This Christmas special (although not as bad as some of the others) was a Dickensian thing - and how many times have we seen Dickens in a nu-Who (Christmas special, or 'normal' show)?

Old 7th January 2013, 12:42 PM
Cult Master

THE LEGACY BOX SET

HMV - £24.99

Amazon - £13.99

No brainer really

I must admit that the only reason I am getting this set is because I am a completist where 'Doctor Who' is concerned

If it was anything else, I would really balk at the concept of getting something which is effectively a release that could (and should) have been released as a second disc with a 'proper' DVD release

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 7th January 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 7th January 2013, 12:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death In Blackpool starts on R4Xtra tonight at 18:00 GMT, repeated at midnight etc btw.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!