Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2013, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Cultist

While I am becoming more and more a Doctor Who fan, I also want to become more of an expert, so I am digging into the past and have just watched a lot of episodes of Tom Baker's time as the doc - I really like him, he was my first (and only) doc too. So apart from all episodes of the 1st two years with Tom, I have also seen the very first doctor story (An Unearthly Child), the Dalek episodes in the Daleks DVD box and the two Peter Cushing films (I know they are rather off canon!).

I am a bit puzzled why Moffat's, in my book, excellent take (with minor exceptions) gets so much criticism, as I have not yet encountered an episode that can hold up to the depth the new episodes have - is that the criticism? Please do not take it as criticism to the older stuff, I love what I saw but on a complete different level, it is a bit like comparing the old Star Trek of the 60s with the Next Generation and beyond, not a very fair comparison, I think...

Maybe I still have to see the old episodes that change that view, so if there are nay tips what to hunt for, I am open to all and why in the doc's name (whatever that is ) don't we get a DVD box with all episodes of the old years? OK, that would be a huge set and I do not even want to imagine the price, but the design of that box should be crystal clear and would we mind the price if we get a nice, slightly downsized blue police box for it?

BTW: When did the make the sign on the TARDIS door black letters on white? It is white letters on black in the Tom Baker episodes...
Old 21st May 2013, 10:15 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post
While I am becoming more and more a Doctor Who fan, I also want to become more of an expert, so I am digging into the past and have just watched a lot of episodes of Tom Baker's time as the doc - I really like him, he was my first (and only) doc too. So apart from all episodes of the 1st two years with Tom, I have also seen the very first doctor story (An Unearthly Child), the Dalek episodes in the Daleks DVD box and the two Peter Cushing films (I know they are rather off canon!).

I am a bit puzzled why Moffat's, in my book, excellent take (with minor exceptions) gets so much criticism, as I have not yet encountered an episode that can hold up to the depth the new episodes have - is that the criticism? Please do not take it as criticism to the older stuff, I love what I saw but on a complete different level, it is a bit like comparing the old Star Trek of the 60s with the Next Generation and beyond, not a very fair comparison, I think......
I think what we may have with Moffet is just a series of poor production control. Stories like Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS and Nightmare in Silver should never have made it past his desk due to just being horrifically bad, though this is as much a problem for the writers as him. When Moffet does well, he knocks it out of the bloody park, and as I said previously, besides the two aforementioned episodes which where just terrible, series 7 was varying shades of disposable and excellent fun.

As for the Cushing movies, there is evidence to suggest they do actually occur in canon. In Salvation (novel) a Dr. Who was a scientific adviser for the military. Presumably this is the same person. On a more humours note, 6th and Frobisher attended the opening day of Star Wars and 6th mentioned having met "That mans daughter". That man is presumably Grand Moff Tarkin, played by Cushing also. Take it as you may, I think the first occation make's more sense.

Quote:
Maybe I still have to see the old episodes that change that view, so if there are nay tips what to hunt for, I am open to all and why in the doc's name (whatever that is ) don't we get a DVD box with all episodes of the old years? OK, that would be a huge set and I do not even want to imagine the price, but the design of that box should be crystal clear and would we mind the price if we get a nice, slightly downsized blue police box for it?

BTW: When did the make the sign on the TARDIS door black letters on white? It is white letters on black in the Tom Baker episodes
The TARDIS has changed several times, not just internally but also externally.
Roughale likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 21st May 2013, 10:54 AM
Seasoned Cultist

OK, thanks! The "not in the canon" was just a careful addition on my side, not to start any kind of fight I was not aware of, or something like that, it has been a while and I may get the BDs of the films later on and that would bring a rewatch, I guess... If my memory banks work well, wass the first one not rather sort of a remake of the first Dalek appearance in the TV series when Hartnell was still comanding that blue box?

OK, I get the explanation of why so much complaints may be there for Moffat, I also thought the second part of the 7th season (or series ;-)) started weak-ish, but the last two episodes were excellent, I thought, but the last one seems to split the fans again, some (like Stephen here) did not like it, oh well, does not spoil my fun, so...

Moffat, I think many agree has written some of the best episodes and may have introduced one of the best monsters in the new run with the Weeping Angels - I just love them!

But I am still waiting for old episodes with depth to look out for... I am very aware that having grown up with it may have helped, I know how many younger people puzzle at my old Star Trek liking, as they cannot see beyond the plastic and cardboard props... And I may have said it before: I still have not encountered any Doctor Who episode I completely hated - I think it might never happen anyway...

Edit: I just checked the contents of that Dalek to know what else I have seen of the old stuff and it turns out these were the two Cushing films...

Last edited by Roughale; 21st May 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 21st May 2013, 11:55 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post

As for the Cushing movies, there is evidence to suggest they do actually occur in canon. In Salvation (novel) a Dr. Who was a scientific adviser for the military. Presumably this is the same person. On a more humours note, 6th and Frobisher attended the opening day of Star Wars and 6th mentioned having met "That mans daughter". That man is presumably Grand Moff Tarkin, played by Cushing also. Take it as you may, I think the first occation make's more sense.

Hawk, its normal practice that canon is televised episodes only. The New Adventures and BBC Eighth Doctor range became so convoluted no one knew what was happening. They even had to reset everything in the book The Burning it got so out of hand.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
OK, thanks! The "not in the canon" was just a careful addition on my side, not to start any kind of fight I was not aware of, or something like that, it has been a while and I may get the BDs of the films later on and that would bring a rewatch, I guess... If my memory banks work well, wass the first one not rather sort of a remake of the first Dalek appearance in the TV series when Hartnell was still comanding that blue box?
Thats true. Daleks Invasion Earth 2150AD was also a remake of the Hartnell story The Dalek Invasion of Earth.

Thats another reason why neither film is canon. One reason among many.
Roughale likes this.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The dvd cover for The Mind of Evil.

Apologies if this has been posted before, i don't think i've seen it previously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 816zIVaFRHL._SL1500_.jpg (93.7 KB, 3 views)
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

And as I am talking about maybe the only Doctor I like to return to, I can now say a bit more about the Who-ology book as I( am about half-way through... It is a trivia collection, nothing more nothing less. I found some very interesting things, I skipped a few details I may see later at one point, whenever and whatever I can lay my hands and the eyes on. It seems to be written in a child-friendly tone and the illustrations are, well... not my taste exactly, but I guess putting in photos might have raised the price and might have been hard to handle all the copyrights, I don't know. It is a good item for short reading moments, whenever you cannot decide what to read. It is ok for the price, I think...

I would so much like a decent Doctor Who game, I tried the DS game and I think I also tried the wii game (have the sonic screwdriver wiimote ), also tried the online game, but nothing so far nothing really hooked me...
Old 21st May 2013, 02:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Hawk, its normal practice that canon is televised episodes only. The New Adventures and BBC Eighth Doctor range became so convoluted no one knew what was happening. They even had to reset everything in the book The Burning it got so out of hand.
Haha, yeah, I prefer to see it as a nice little easter egg. But i'm a sucker for this kinda thing as it all add's to just how massive Whoniverse is.
Transformers and Star Trek all reside in it's massive arms, and by extension League of Hero's, Batman, Dredd-world and The Scarifyers. Silly fluff for the most part, only a few official meetings but fun to notice.

The only official series to link directly into Who are Quatermass (British Rocket Group is a recurring theme and Bernard was mentioned on occasions, once in Remembrance of the Daleks. He made a physical appearance in Dying Days, events of which where referenced in The Christmas Invasion), Blakes 7 (Carnell made a crossover from the episode Weapon into the novel Corpse Marker, where he then became a main character in Kaldor City along side a poorly concealed Avon), and Caballistics Inc. (Guest appearances from The Brigadier and references to Yeti in the Underground, Zygons in Loch Ness and Demons at Hobbs End) are all in the same universe.

DVD and BD collection
Old 21st May 2013, 02:47 PM
Cult Addict

[QUOTE=Roughale;342849]While I am becoming more and more a Doctor Who fan, I also want to become more of an expert, so I am digging into the past and have just watched a lot of episodes of Tom Baker's time as the doc - I really like him, he was my first (and only) doc too.

Hi Roughale.
My first doctor was Tom Baker so he will always hold a special place in my heart. I like them all, and have seen many episodes from the classic series. My other favorite doctors are Patrick Troughton & Christopher Eccleston,
Purely for their portrayals of the doctor,but that's just me. Like i said They are all good in their own ways.
Anyway as far as depth in old stories. Continuing story lines throughout series can be found in Jon Pertwee's exile to earth and his almost continuous battle with the master in the first seasons of his time as the doctor. Tom Baker's 'Key to time' season, Peter Davidson's Black Guardian/Turlough episodes 'Mawdryn undead-Enlightenment' ,Colin Baker's entire season 'The Trial of a Time Lord' and Sylvester McCoy's final stories with Ace 'Ghost light' onwards.
All the above stories have continuing themes (i think).
As for interesting unusual stories have a look at Edge of Destruction (a psychological story set in the Tardis), The Mind Robber (The Tardis explodes sending the crew into a world peopled by fictional characters from books and myths) and Inferno (parallel world with alternate Brigadier).
The above stories are all really interesting and i feel have influenced new who (for instance look at Matt Smith,s story with the dream master and the recent journey to the heart of the Tardis stories).
There are probably more like these, but as i said i haven't seem all of 'em.
Obviously i don't think those stories are as complicated as the new ones, but they show Doctor Who has always been interesting and worth watching.
Anyway good luck with your journey through who history, it's really an exiting time to be a fan with the 50th anniversary n' all.
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 21st May 2013, 04:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

I am a bit puzzled why Moffat's, in my book, excellent take (with minor exceptions) gets so much criticism, as I have not yet encountered an episode that can hold up to the depth the new episodes have - is that the criticism? Please do not take it as criticism to the older stuff, I love what I saw but on a complete different level, it is a bit like comparing the old Star Trek of the 60s with the Next Generation and beyond, not a very fair comparison, I think...

BTW: When did the make the sign on the TARDIS door black letters on white? It is white letters on black in the Tom Baker episodes...
Every show runner will always have detractors. I've been extremely huffy on how Moffat hasn't gone back to the original Doctors for the 50th( and using cgi doesn't count) but then again it's partially because I actually have an ingenious way to bring them back..but sadly I've given up writing for the more lucrative business degree.

RTD. Brought the series literally back from the dead and he definitely had his detractors as well. ( though honestly we would have nothing to even complain about if RTD wasn't genius enough to bring it back)

My favorite doctors always came across more alien Baker(both), Smith, McCoy ( he came into his own after a disastrous start), and Eccelston. There s honestly not a doctor I dislike. Hartnell is probably my least but I've grown to enjoy him as well.

If you are heading back to watch the older stories I recommend the Hinchclifee-Holmes era as well as Giving Pertwee another try. Daemons is a story I watch regularly.

Someone mentioned Trial and its great stuff. If you want some truly cracking Doctor Who stories do not forget Big Finish. They truly gave the doctor some great adventures and let Colin and McGann redeem themselves with some great stories.(also let's Eric Saward know he was magnificently wrong about Colin)

Like this? Share it using the links below!