Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 10:05 PM

I suppose it just depends on ages.If you were to sit down the average 10yr old to classic Who,they'd get bored almost instantly.Don't get me wrong,I do like the new series and have seen (almost) all of them.I just wouldn't buy them on dvd etc.The Who of yesteryear is a horse of a different colour. :)

Debzz 24th March 2010 10:06 PM

i love the three doctors! omg i think omega is adorable hahahah

maybe the new series will be better that RTD's ones!
but the classics will always be far far far far better

LineSix 24th March 2010 10:09 PM

Yeah, I'm a big collector of the classic stories on DVD/audio CD, I managed to track down an original limited edition Key to Time box set about two years ago, about eight months after it originally came out and had well sold out and was selling on the likes of ebay and amazon for over £100. I got mine for the RRP of £55 from WH Smith that had one left over, had to make a bit of a journey to pick it up though, but it was well worth it. :thumb:

Romana I is great in those stories.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 10:11 PM

I may be talking out of my backside but I think the KTT boxset came out not to long ago in the U.S. without any extras.,Wish i had picked up the UK box.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 10:13 PM

Bloomin heck!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

LineSix 24th March 2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 69331)
I may be talking out of my backside but I think the KTT boxset came out not to long ago in the U.S. without any extras.,Wish i had picked up the UK box.

Well, the Key to Time set was originally released in the US back in like, 2001 or 2002, just a bare bones box set, nothing special about it.

Then in September 2007 the numbered Limited Edition version of the Key to Time box set was released here in the UK, it sold out pretty fast, within a few months I think. I picked it up in like, May 2008.

Then the Key to Time set was re-released in the US early last year, I think it had a lot of extras and stuff on that release.

And the Key to Time was re-released here in the UK later on last year, like November I think. It still has all of the same extras etc, it just isn't a Limited Edition version of any kind.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 10:17 PM

Yeah just saw the re-issue version.May have to be bought.

Debzz 24th March 2010 10:20 PM

i really like the key to time episodes! i've asked for it for my birthday soo if i'm a good girl my bro might get it for me!

is anyone going to the doctor who convention,
i would love to go to it but i'm skinters and i'm workin that day, damn, cant believe i'm gonna miss TOM BAKER!!! noooo

LineSix 24th March 2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 69336)
Yeah just saw the re-issue version.May have to be bought.

Yeah, it's well worth it at that price considering the original RRP for the limited set was £55. It's pretty much identical to the limited version, just the packaging for the limited set is a bit different and is numbered as I said earlier.

The re-release has pretty much made the limited set loose all of it's resell value now, people were regularly flogging them on ebay for £80 and over, I seen a couple sell for around £200. Not that I am going to, or want to sell it, but it's crazy how the limited ones have just stopped selling nowadays and you can pick them up for like £40'ish.

Mojo 25th March 2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LineSix (Post 69324)
I don't really want to turn this thread into 'Slag off the new Doctor Who', but I guess most of us share the same opinion that the classics are far superior to the modern re-imagining.

I grew up with the classic series ( Jon Pertwee was my first Doctor ) and I much prefer it too. There again, I much prefer the slower pace of 'older' telly shows per se.

However, there have been some good episodes in the new series, most of them coming from Steven Moffat, or writers other than RTD. I'm glad he's given way to Moffat, who I'm hoping will bring the show back to life. We'll see I guess.

Back to the classic series, I read somewhere that the animated 'lost' episodes were quite expensive to do, which may limit their use. However, with only one episode missing from The Tenth Planet, that would hopefully make it a prime candidate for this treatment. Ditto Pat Troughton's The Ice Warriors ( 2 episodes missing ).

Mojo 25th March 2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 69266)
As for my favourite story, I would probably have to go with The Tomb of the Cybermen from the Troughton era, yet there were many others that I loved: Genesis of the Daleks, Inferno, The Green Death, Terror of the Autons, The Talons of Weng-Chiang

Inferno is superb. One of the all time best.

The whole Jon Pertwee first season has never been bettered, in my opinion.

vincenzo 25th March 2010 11:34 AM

Spearhead From Space and Claws Of Axos are probably my favourite Pertwees.

Mojo 25th March 2010 11:43 AM

Two gems there, vincenzo. Spearhead From Space would be my favourite Who of all time. Followed by Inferno and The Invasion.

vincenzo 25th March 2010 12:32 PM

I loved Inferno. Stands up superbly today.

I quite enjoyed the Quatermass-style Ambassadors Of Death though it went on just a little bit too long for me. 2 episodes shorter and it would have been a masterpiece.

Mojo 25th March 2010 02:41 PM

Ambassadors Of Death is another top story ( season 7 again! ).

Would love to see this one on dvd, but I believe some episodes only exist in b&w form at the moment. The restoration team did a superb job of colourising one of the Planet Of The Daleks episodes, so here's hoping this one gets the same treatment ( and soon! )

vincenzo 25th March 2010 02:59 PM

I have Ambassadors on VHS (together with all of the surviving first 10 years) and about half of it is in b&w. The Restoration Team blended the 85 mins or so of surviving colour in with the mono prints to produce a 'fade-in/out' effect. They did a fine job but it does distract from the story.

The Silurians, The Daemons & Terror Of The Autons also existed only as uncut/b&w (UK) and cut/colour (US) prints. For video they blended them together and coloured the overlaying footage using Paintbox. A brilliant piece of work.

Mojo 25th March 2010 03:22 PM

I used to have the VHS Ambassadors but flogged it a few years ago in a moment of madness, thinking it would be out on dvd sometime soon :headbang:

The Silurians is another cracking story. The Daemons and Terror Of The Autons are another two that need the dvd treatment. I guess it's the state of some of the Pertwee materials that is holding up some of these releases?

The 'Lost In Time' dvd is interesting stuff ( featuring the Hartnell + Troughton years ) although frustrating by the same token, as you only get a glimpse of one or two episodes from serials that would be tv gold on dvd.

LineSix 25th March 2010 03:24 PM

Yeah, I've watched that one Underwater Menace episode many, many times. It's just superb, Zaroff's iconic line at the end 'Nuzzing in Ze vurld can ztop me now!'

Just awesome and I want the full story. Damn the BBC from the 60's. :mad:

vincenzo 25th March 2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 69505)
The 'Lost In Time' dvd is interesting stuff ( featuring the Hartnell + Troughton years ) although frustrating by the same token, as you only get a glimpse of one or two episodes from serials that would be tv gold on dvd.

I know. It's genuinely frustrating. Of the Hartnell years I'd love to see intact prints of The Celestial Toymaker, The Myth Makers and Marco Polo. Both of the latter are completely missing.

The Troughton years fare even worse. I'd love to see the other contemporary London stories (The Web Of Fear and especially The Faceless Ones) plus The Macra Terror. :(

LineSix 25th March 2010 03:30 PM

I just want to see every lost story, they are all bound to be superb. I've listened to most of the audios and they are great, albeit nothing willl ever measure up to watching them which will sadly never happen.

vincenzo 25th March 2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LineSix (Post 69512)
I just want to see every lost story, they are all bound to be superb. I've listened to most of the audios and they are great, albeit nothing willl ever measure up to watching them which will sadly never happen.

It's looking less likely each year. I remember the huge thrill in the 90's when the complete Tomb Of The Cybermen turned up. Absolutely amazing.

I could be wrong here but I think the last Who 'retrieval' was episode 2 of Hartnell's The Daleks Master Plan (leaving 9 out of 12 still missing). Nothing has appeared since.

LineSix 25th March 2010 03:37 PM

Yeah, I read recently that nothing has been discovered in six years.

Gojirosan 25th March 2010 03:41 PM

At first I really enjoyed the re-emergence of Dr Who, and watched them all up to that episosde in Pompeii, then I found myself recording it and not watching it then not even bothering to record it...

I don'rt think I'll make any effort to watch the new dude. My ideal Doctor was Jon Pertwee, not a sixth former with floppy hair!

Mojo 25th March 2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 69510)
I know. It's genuinely frustrating. Of the Hartnell years I'd love to see intact prints of The Celestial Toymaker, The Myth Makers and Marco Polo. Both of the latter are completely missing.

The Troughton years fare even worse. I'd love to see the other contemporary London stories (The Web Of Fear and especially The Faceless Ones) plus The Macra Terror. :(

The Celestial Toymaker would be great ( Michael Gough is always worth watching ).

From the two episodes I've seen, The Faceless Ones looks terrific - a full set would be wonderful. To be honest, I'd love to see all of Troughton's 'lost' adventures - though if I was forced to make a choice I would plump for Evil Of The Daleks or Fury From The Deep.

Debzz 25th March 2010 06:52 PM

michael gough is one of the main reasons i want to see celestial toy maker!! why did it have to be missing!!!

the faceless ones does indeed look terrific!!
:D

vincenzo 25th March 2010 10:31 PM

3 out of 4 missing from The Celestial Toymaker. 4 out of 6 missing from The Faceless Ones.

Everything missing from.......

HARTNELL
Marco Polo
Galaxy 4
Mission To The Unknown (1 episode set-up for Daleks Master Plan)
The Myth Makers
The Massacre
The Savages
The Smugglers

TROUGHTON
Power Of The Daleks
The Highlanders
The Macra Terror
Fury From The Deep

Ridiculous isn't it? :(

Stephen@Cult Labs 26th March 2010 11:02 PM

Just saw Matt Smith on Johnathon Ross and with the couple of small clips they showed,i'm actually looking forward to seeing the show now.One of the clips they showed featured an appearance by William Hartnell (the doctor whipped out his library card,complete with photograph for ID and said he would need to get it updated when he realized that it still featured a photo of the 1st doctor!)

LineSix 26th March 2010 11:20 PM

Yeah, the Hartnell library card was a nice touch. This new series with Steven Moffat in charge actually feels like the true merging of the classic series with new/modern Doctor Who. Matt Smith's character is like Who of old, the bumbling professor type, it reminds me of Patrick Troughton a lot.

Also, there was a Pertwee reference in there aswell, after he realises the library card is (really) old, he starts mumbling to himself about needing a spare and says "It's with him" and makes the nose gesture, because Pertwee had a rather large nose, lol.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th March 2010 12:32 AM

I love the Peter Cushing DR WHO double bill.Perfect Sunday afternoon viewing!

vincenzo 27th March 2010 11:44 AM

I revisited the 2-part Hartnell story The Rescue last night which was basically just an introduction to Vicki (Maureen O'Brien) after Susan stayed behind on Earth.

Even with a daft looking papier mache dog thingy and a cast of 5 speaking characters (Hartnell & companions plus a bearded Ray Barrett) it still works well. Hartnell brought something to the role that made him unique.

LineSix 27th March 2010 12:15 PM

Yeah, Hartnell was great as the Doctor, my favourite Hartnell story that still exists is probably The Time Meddler, the Meddling Monk character was great.

vincenzo 27th March 2010 12:22 PM

The Monk (Peter Butterworth) also reappeared in The Daleks Master Plan though alas most of this story has been exterminated. :(

LineSix 27th March 2010 12:24 PM

Have you seen the colourisations video on YouTube? Basically someone has colourised certain scenes from Hartnell and Troughton stories, all done in Adobe Photoshop, one frame at a time. It's absolutely amazing, just something to behold. I know that they should be viewed in black and white, but the fact that this guy has taken to the time to go through frame by frame to colourise them and show us what they would have looked like in colour is amazing.

Here is the video:

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th March 2010 02:56 PM

Wow! Those scenes look good.I know colourized film can look a little unnatural but it would be interesting to see some of these in colour (providing the original B/W versions are included of course).Colourization has come a long way since the 80's.The colourized version of It's A Wonderful Life looks pretty darn good.

LineSix 27th March 2010 03:48 PM

Yeah, it would be cool if for the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who they colourised some stuff for a DVD release and included the original black and white versions, that would be awesome.

42ndStreetFreak 27th March 2010 07:49 PM

Wow! That actually looks damn good. he even got the coloured light FX down where it was shining on just half of the face.

Agreed, these would make good bonus additions on the DVD's. Get more young kids interested in the old shows too. Best of all were the Daleks and Michael Gough.

Impressive...Hell looked better than some of those professional colourisation jobs done a a few years back on stuff like "NOTLD" and "Scrooge".

Debzz 27th March 2010 10:46 PM

the colouring in that is really good, it would be cool if it was added as bonus on the dvd or something, bust take forever would that be done frame by frame?

LineSix 27th March 2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debzz (Post 69996)
the colouring in that is really good, it would be cool if it was added as bonus on the dvd or something, bust take forever would that be done frame by frame?

The guy who made that video colourised it frame by frame using Adobe Photoshop. But I'm guessing there would be more advanced ways of doing it for professionals at the BBC or the restoration team who work on the classic Doctor Who releases.

Mojo 28th March 2010 08:01 PM

Good interview with Matt Smith on Jonathan Ross on Friday night.

Also a nice touch - they showed a clip from a future episode ( Vampires In Venice ) when the Doctor showed his id card and it had a photo of William Hartnell on it :thumb:

mr 420 29th March 2010 03:38 PM

It has to be 'The Invasion of time' with Tom Baker for me. The surprise twist in the middle of the story revealing the Sontarins is just class. Btw, I love the way they have incorparated new cgi effects into the dvds. Brings the storys bang up to date if you watch them with the cgi (well, it does in my jaded mind lol).