Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2013, 12:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post

But to make one thing absolutely clear: Paris Jackson should not be a subject either here or in a music thread
I mustn't be as celebrity obsessed as some on here as i'd never heard of her up until last week.

Besides it was just a general comment that the rich and famous of Beverly Hills or whichever part of LA she lives, have taken notice of our beloved show.
Old 7th June 2013, 01:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Thinking back to an earlier quote from BBC Worldwide, that any stories where half the episodes exist would be getting a full dvd release with animated episodes.

Then this probably explains whats happening with the recently recovered episode from The Underwater Menace, and why its not on any release schedules at the moment.
Old 7th June 2013, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Yeah and after that, the Crusades would be the only one with enough episodes existing for a release. The only other episode aside from that to consider is Mission To The Unknown: a one episode story, albeit a prologue to The Dalek's Masterplan. That could conceivably be animated, but presumably not on a DVD package on its own. Perhaps they could release it with three existing episodes of Masterplan, a ton of extras and a second animated episode from that story (The finale, the Destruction of Time for instance), as well as recons for all the missing parts? With the DVD line drawing to an end, that may be a possibility, although a highly unlikely one.
Old 7th June 2013, 05:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'd love to see some more animated missing episodes ( particularly when they complete a story, such as The Tenth Planet and The Moonbase ). I'm still hoping for some of the originals to turn up this year though...
Old 7th June 2013, 05:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Anyone seen or picked this up yet?

Is it worth the price of £9.99?
Got a copy this week, Dem and it is a beautifully put together publication with many rare ( for me anyway! ) photos. It is a bit steep, price - wise, but I do think it's worth it.

Apparently, there are another two similar specials to come this year, but no details as yet.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th June 2013, 05:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Got a copy this week, Dem and it is a beautifully put together publication with many rare ( for me anyway! ) photos. It is a bit steep, price - wise, but I do think it's worth it.

Apparently, there are another two similar specials to come this year, but no details as yet.
I went to my local WH Smith yesterday but they didn't have it. They had loads of the last special with the telesnaps though. I recommend that one to anyone who has the soundtracks of those missing episodes and wants to see the action unfold.
Old 8th June 2013, 07:32 PM
Cult Addict

The Klein Trilogy by Big Finish
Featuring the Seventh Doctor (Sly McCoy) and Elizabeth Klein (Tracey Childs)

Back in the early day's of BF, there was a story called Colditz. It's plot should be evident and it's fairly standard fair (save for a surprise cameo from Tennant) but what many people took away from it was Childs performance as the utterly dispicable Klein. A scientist who is unwaveringly loyal to the Nazi cause and believes in nothing less than ethnic clensing and society hierarchy. A queen bitch, basicly. But Childs was so damn GOOD in the role that we loved ever scene she was in...until the character made a heisty retreat from the castle for reasons best left unexplained. Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey.

And so BF thought it would be a great idea for her to make a return, and this is the result. A trio of stories that cover her short journey with the Doctor.

First of these is A Thousand Tiny Wings by Andy Lane.A wonderfuly understated three parter that is possibly one of the more creepy tale's from the company. A new menace is loose in the Kenya out back in 1950, just as a revolution is about to unfurl. Not giving anything away but it's a very symbolic story, both in it's own context and in the follwoing seriels.

Next is Survival of the Fittest by Jonathan Clements. A bridge between the humble begining and the bombastic finale, this is over all the least self contained story and suffers as a result. Ultimatly it just feel's like a prolonged prologue to The Architects of History, not helpful considering the first episode is almost complete exposition. HOWEVER! It's rollicking good exposition, and McGann make's a wonderful turn out as an alternative universe 8th. It's feel's a bit aimless until the final episode, but that cliffhanger leave's alot to be explained and is very much a fine lead into...

The Architects of History by Steve Lyons. Our universe has been replaced by Kleins vision of a perfect world. The Daleks and Sontaran empires have been destroyed, the Cyber-Tombs of Telos blown up and the Rutan Host forced back to the furthest fringes of the universe, some taking refuge in the Land of Fiction. Due to this the imprissoned Doctor is short of possible allies, until a plan involving providing time tavel to the scurge or the galaxy, The Selachians, proves fruitful. Caught in a web of treachery and quadrouple crosses, Klein must out wit her competator and maintain her perfected world of the third intergalactic reich.

Throughout the series Sly is on top form, most certainly when bouncing off the ever Child's and just generaly being the smart arse 7th was. The stories here are deep and contextual, and plenty of referances for the newbie and fan-wanker alike, though not to enfuriating levels (see Pandorica Opens, The). The trilogy can be listend to individualy but the fullscope come's off as some as some huge Lang esque epic, with a 5 1/2 hour running time. I highly reccomend this series to anyone who wan't to get started with BF, Colditz is not mandatory but after hearing the conclusion you WILL wan't to listen to the excalent UNIT: Dominion. You WILL.
So, hunt them down and happy listening!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51cvnfsoWCL._SX342_.jpg (30.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 51XILSeHYxL._SX342_.jpg (34.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 61jxKcvN3XL._SX342_.jpg (36.8 KB, 1 views)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 8th June 2013, 07:41 PM
Cult Addict

Just so you know as well, i've complied a set on Soundcloud for anyone who want some short, entertaining and FREE Doctor Who before the 23rd November.

On the set is:

UNIT: Coupe - Brigadier, ICIS, Silurians
Bernice Summerfield: Silver Lining- Cybermen
Doctor Who: Cuddlesome- 5th, Possibly Shug-Niggurath, Killer Furbies
The Mutant Phase- 5th, Nyssa, Daleks, Rogue Dalek Mutants
Short Trip: Rise and Fall- Narrated by Ian
The Burning Prince ep.1- 5th, Possible Peladon links, i'm not sure.
The Wrong Doctors ep.1- 6th, Mel, fooking DINOSAURS!!!!
Urgent Calls- 6th, Doctor Who mixed with Berberien Sound Studio*
Mission of the Vivyrans- 5th, Peri

*This one really is very good.

https://soundcloud.com/hawky-audio/s...tor-who-audios

DVD and BD collection

Last edited by Hawkmonger; 8th June 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 8th June 2013, 09:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Watched Victory of the Daleks last night. Really enjoyed it until the stupid Spitfires in Space bit. There's always one thing in Nu Who that annoys me in practically every episode!
Old 8th June 2013, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Watched Victory of the Daleks last night. Really enjoyed it until the stupid Spitfires in Space bit. There's always one thing in Nu Who that annoys me in practically every episode!
The spitfires didn't bother me, i enjoyed the spectacle.

It was the maudlin end once the Daleks had gone that annoyed me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!