Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28443Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2013, 12:00 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm curious to see what is said here. What episode with at least one missing part do you want to see recovered most?For me, its the Web of Fear. It sounds brilliant, looks good based on existing telesnaps and was directed by Douglas Camfield. Its great.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Runners up would include both Troughton Dalek Serials, Underwater Menace, Macra Terror (They are investigating some leads on that by the way. Check missing episodes.com for more info) and Fury From the Deep.
Old 11th June 2013, 07:18 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
Runners up would include both Troughton Dalek Serials, Underwater Menace, Macra Terror (They are investigating some leads on that by the way. Check missing episodes.com for more info) and Fury From the Deep.
See my YT video a few pages back. Sutekh burnt it.

That's a second for The Web of Fear. My CD edition of it is very good quality but it's nothing like owning the real thing. And thanks for the heads up on the Macra Terror trail, something to be excited about.

DVD and BD collection
Old 11th June 2013, 11:51 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

If i was to choose three stories to be recovered they would be -

Marco Polo
Fury From The Deep
The Daleks Masterplan.

I would have said The Web of Fear and Evil of the Daleks but Gothmogxx got there first.
Old 11th June 2013, 04:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
See my YT video a few pages back. Sutekh burnt it.

That's a second for The Web of Fear. My CD edition of it is very good quality but it's nothing like owning the real thing. And thanks for the heads up on the Macra Terror trail, something to be excited about.
Yeah Macra Terror is a classic. It's a shame that not even ONE episode of that story exists
Old 11th June 2013, 04:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
The Daleks Masterplan.
I actually just finished that. Took me a week. It was really great though. Well, most of it (I don't want to think about the Feast of Steven).
Old 12th June 2013, 10:42 AM
Cult Addict

Does anyone have any idea if there will ever be an anthology collection of the rather charming DWM Brief Encounters? I'm rather interested in a number of them but don't want the hastle of hunting down the individual copies.

DVD and BD collection
Old 12th June 2013, 10:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Finished the first Matt Smith series today and have to admit that I loved it overall. I thought the show worked well under Moffatt and didn't miss the often cringy pop-culture references that RTD used to bombard the episodes with (that Weakest Link thing? URGH).

How do fans of New Who rate this series compared to the ones that follow it? I think Smith might be my favourite modern incarnation to be honest
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:16 PM
Cult Addict

I certainly prefer the Dark Fantasy feel to the more pedestrian sci-fi RTD was giving us. I think people have been to harsh on the series over the last few years. There have been bad episodes, but no more often than any other point in the series run.

DVD and BD collection
Old 12th June 2013, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I certainly prefer the Dark Fantasy feel to the more pedestrian sci-fi RTD was giving us. I think people have been to harsh on the series over the last few years. There have been bad episodes, but no more often than any other point in the series run.
I preferred the spectacle of RTD episodes, they felt more of an event. Be it Vesuvius exploding, space ships crashing into Big Ben or the futuristic setting to Gridlock.

The first two of Smith's series failed in that respect to me. Although the first part of series 7 lived up to it.

I don't like the way Moffat digs into the series secrets, hint at things by all means but the naming of the Doctor was a miss fire in my opinion even though it was all his usual non-event bluster. Despite loving The Name of the Doctor episode, the minute you give it any scrutiny it completely falls apart.
Criterion7 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!