Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2013, 06:27 PM
Cult Addict

As do I, it is, however, Extremely jarring if the cliffhanger is very downbeat (as it often was).
Well, I just listend to The Five Companions. Holy shit. It's a bit bloody good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUaWcD46Kg

DVD and BD collection

Last edited by Hawkmonger; 23rd June 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 24th June 2013, 08:13 AM
Cult Acolyte

Watched the special edition of Inferno. I've watched this one many times and will watch it many times more! Easily one of my favourite ever Who stories, this edition benefits from noticeably improved picture quality. The climactic scenes with the red tinted 'end of the alternate world' are truly breathtaking and the whole story is a triumph - although I do think the partially formed Primords are better ( and scarier ) than the fully formed lot.

Brilliant story from Who's best ever season.
Hawkmonger and Gothmogxx like this.
Old 24th June 2013, 04:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Watched the special edition of Inferno. I've watched this one many times and will watch it many times more! Easily one of my favourite ever Who stories, this edition benefits from noticeably improved picture quality. The climactic scenes with the red tinted 'end of the alternate world' are truly breathtaking and the whole story is a triumph - although I do think the partially formed Primords are better ( and scarier ) than the fully formed lot.

Brilliant story from Who's best ever season.
Agreed. Few can match season 7. I can't say I've yet seen Ambassadors of Death, but the other 3 stories are solid 10 out of 10's. The only other seasons that can match season 7 are seasons 11-14.
Old 24th June 2013, 05:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
Agreed. Few can match season 7. I can't say I've yet seen Ambassadors of Death, but the other 3 stories are solid 10 out of 10's. The only other seasons that can match season 7 are seasons 11-14.
Season 11?

There's a reason Planet of the Spiders has the production code ZZZ you know.

Season 26 was brilliant.
Old 24th June 2013, 05:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Season 11?

There's a reason Planet of the Spiders has the production code ZZZ you know.

Season 26 was brilliant.
I've not seen Planet of the Spiders in a while.

But the Time Warrior, Invasion of the Dinosaurs and Death to the Daleks are among my favourite serials of all time. Monster of Peladon was okay. Not great, but better than Curse of Peladon.

Can't say I've seen any episodes of season 26... Yet
Old 24th June 2013, 06:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Agreed. Few can match season 7. I can't say I've yet seen Ambassadors of Death, but the other 3 stories are solid 10 out of 10's. [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]The only other seasons that can match season 7 are seasons 11-14.[/COLOR]
Quote:

Please don't take this the wrong way because i'm not typing this in a sarcastic or nasty way, but how can you be so definitive in your answer as to which seasons are the best when you haven't seen them all.
Gothmogxx likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 24th June 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 24th June 2013, 06:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way because i'm not typing this in a sarcastic or nasty way, but how can you be so definitive in your answer as to which seasons are the best when you haven't seen them all.
No, no, don't worry I'm not taking it wrong. But I'm only judging on what I've seen so far. I know I can't say whats best without seeing it all (bit too Mary Whitehouse for my taste), but so far I like those ones the best.
Old 24th June 2013, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Funny you mention taking things in a nasty way though Demdike, because I'm actually in a bad mood with some guy on youtube for those reasons. I was up for debate, putting out a good case and... I'm apparently an unintelligent individual who is more or less sick for liking extreme horror films. Thats how it went. According to him, we should all be locked up in a mental hospital for liking them. I said murder is just as bad as sadism, so why do you watch films containing that? He replied with a load of rubbish
Old 24th June 2013, 07:46 PM
Cult Addict

PM me the response, I need a laugh.

DVD and BD collection
Old 24th June 2013, 07:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Its the final season of the original series.

By this time Sylvester McCoy was fully in his stride as the Doctor. His first two seasons had one or two really dodgy stories such as Time and The Rani which is frankly embarrassing and Dragonfire which somehow manages to be decent and dreadful at the same time.

McCoy's final season is brilliant all he way through. Kicking off with Battlefield which saw the welcome return of the Brigadier and UNIT and some pretty good production values. Then came the initially confusing but superb Ghost Light with its macabre streak of blacker than black humour and haunted house setting.

The Curse of Fenric followed, and is a fantastic WW2 adventure involving runes and vampiric Haemovores. Finally, McCoys swansong, Survival. Survival's partly urban setting was clearly an influence on Russell T Davies and could easily have fit into any series of the revived show. Featuring the return of a deadly foe and some great location work, Survival clearly showed the way forward for the show but it wasn't to be - well not for another sixteen years anyway.

The whole of season 26 was pretty much excellent with not a weak story to be found. It had superb production values for the time and the planet of the Cheetah People in Survival showed superb use of effects to create a great alien world. The standard of the acting by all concerned during the season was of the highest standard, and it had an average tv audience of five million which isn't too bad when you consider it was up against Coronation Street.

The BBC clearly had no confidence in it even though it was clearly better in all senses of the word than it had been since the early stories of Peter Davison's tenure as the Time Lord.
Gothmogxx likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!