Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28657Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2013, 03:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I finished the David Tenant specials the other day. God, the ball was really dropped with the last 2 episodes. Aside from all the insanely stupid stuff (the jumping hoodied hungry bleached hair Master, the Star Wars-aping spaceship battle across the sea, the wasted opportunity of the return of the Timelords, the ridiculous Master Race plan (genius idea to have a copy of villain in a woman's blouse. Really threatening!), the cringeworthy Obama bit and the unnecessary gung-ho action scene of the Doctor jumping from the ship with a gun and crashing through the glass ceiling) the way the Doctor's fate was written as an an impending death was really jarring. The analogy of his death reflecting RTD leaving the show was far too on the nose ("I don't want to go!") and the bit where the Doctor travels to see his previous companions, while quite sweet, seemed a bit self-serving from a writer's point of view, as if RTD was reminding everyone of stuff he'd done during his tenure. It felt more like a goodbye to RTD than the Tenth doctor. And the stupid bloody explosive regeneration, jesus that was stupid. Tenant deserved a much better story than that.

It also made me realise how awesome it would have been to have a full series with Wilfred as his only companion. That felt like a real missed opportunity.

Gonna move on to more Classic Who shortly. Sure the sets are creaky, the effects dated and some of the performances a bit off at times but the stories are never infuriating or smug and I love the cliffhangers.
I thought the saying goodbye to all the companions part was the best thing about The End of Time. Very touching i thought.

I think what you have to remember with RTD which imo Moffat has forgotten, is that Doctor Who is now a huge show watched by tens of millions around the world as part of their Saturday night entertainment. Its not a show for Who fans of old anymore. RTD was trying to compete with the big bombastic films in the cinemas i feel so despite me thinking it not great The End of Time was a spectacle in that respect, with added sentimentality. I remember when my mum watched it she said it brought tears to her eyes. She couldn't really care less about it at the moment though with all Moffs Amy / Riversong / marriage nonsense and the poor scripts of the last run.
Old 15th July 2013, 04:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I finished the David Tenant specials the other day. God, the ball was really dropped with the last 2 episodes. Aside from all the insanely stupid stuff (the jumping hoodied hungry bleached hair Master, the Star Wars-aping spaceship battle across the sea, the wasted opportunity of the return of the Timelords, the ridiculous Master Race plan (genius idea to have a copy of villain in a woman's blouse. Really threatening!), the cringeworthy Obama bit and the unnecessary gung-ho action scene of the Doctor jumping from the ship with a gun and crashing through the glass ceiling) the way the Doctor's fate was written as an an impending death was really jarring. The analogy of his death reflecting RTD leaving the show was far too on the nose ("I don't want to go!") and the bit where the Doctor travels to see his previous companions, while quite sweet, seemed a bit self-serving from a writer's point of view, as if RTD was reminding everyone of stuff he'd done during his tenure. It felt more like a goodbye to RTD than the Tenth doctor. And the stupid bloody explosive regeneration, jesus that was stupid. Tenant deserved a much better story than that.

It also made me realise how awesome it would have been to have a full series with Wilfred as his only companion. That felt like a real missed opportunity.

Gonna move on to more Classic Who shortly. Sure the sets are creaky, the effects dated and some of the performances a bit off at times but the stories are never infuriating or smug and I love the cliffhangers.
I've got to say that I loved The End of Time. Great end for David and RTD. But yes, I wish Wilf would come back.
Old 15th July 2013, 04:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

And then we have Matts first series. Pretty good overall. I especially loved Time of the Angels/Flesh and Stone, Amy's Choice and The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood. The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below, The Lodger and The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang were good. The rest were ranged from the somewhat decent (Vincent and the Doctor, Vampires of Venice ) to the terrible (Victory of the Daleks).
Old 15th July 2013, 04:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
the terrible (Victory of the Daleks).
I really enjoyed this until the Daleks left and it became tedious.
Old 15th July 2013, 09:10 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Well, Spearhead from Space was released on blu-ray today, and luckily I managed to pick up a copy in Sainsburys (nowhere to be seen in Asda or Tesco). Well, what can I say, except, WOW! classic Who has never looked so good. Anyone else pick it up yet? And as for the artwork, I love the US dvd cover style on the front. So much nicer looking than the UK dvd covers. For those who like then though, the standard UK dvd style is included on the reverse of the sleeve.

Old 15th July 2013, 09:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Your classic Doctor Who blu-ray collection is now complete Stephen.
Old 15th July 2013, 09:21 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Your classic Doctor Who blu-ray collection is now complete Stephen.
a lot more to go!
Old 15th July 2013, 09:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
a lot more to go!
Don't count on it.
Old 15th July 2013, 09:58 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Don't count on it.
How can you say such a thing? Genesis Of The Daleks, The Talons Of Weng Chiang, and many more. Granted, I have those, but I still have a lot more to get.
Old 15th July 2013, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
How can you say such a thing? Genesis Of The Daleks, The Talons Of Weng Chiang, and many more. Granted, I have those, but I still have a lot more to get.
Wasn't sure if you knew.

Spearhead was the only story made on film. Its the only available HD story of the original run.

Like this? Share it using the links below!