Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2013, 04:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Hope you get your mitts on a copy soon Dem. Let us know what you think.

I think you're in for a treat.
Thanks Mojo.

I picked it up today in Asda.
Old 27th November 2013, 04:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Day of the Doctor has made £6.2million from its worldwide limited cinema screenings.

I wonder how much it cost to make?
Old 27th November 2013, 08:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks Mojo.

I picked it up today in Asda.
Mine arrived on November 23rd (great anniversary treat!). Watched it before the special and finished it just a few minutes before the special started. As of now, I've seen it twice, and I can safely say it's one of the all-time greats. Troughton is brilliant as both the Doctor and Salamander.

A previously underated lost classic: now regarded as superior to Web of Fear (not seen Web yet, but as it was the story I wanted back the most, I can't wait) and many other Troughtons. Can't say I'm surprised though: both Tomb and Web had unfair expectations on their return, Enemy didn't. It had nothing against it and in turn, surprised many based on its quality.
Susan Foreman and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 27th November 2013, 09:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
Mine arrived on November 23rd (great anniversary treat!). Watched it before the special and finished it just a few minutes before the special started. As of now, I've seen it twice, and I can safely say it's one of the all-time greats. Troughton is brilliant as both the Doctor and Salamander.

A previously underated lost classic: now regarded as superior to Web of Fear (not seen Web yet, but as it was the story I wanted back the most, I can't wait) and many other Troughtons. Can't say I'm surprised though: both Tomb and Web had unfair expectations on their return, Enemy didn't. It had nothing against it and in turn, surprised many based on its quality.
Marco Polo, The Massacre and The Myth Makers should be up next for discovery.
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:24 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Marco Polo, The Massacre and The Myth Makers should be up next for discovery.
If I believe the rumours I am hearing...!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th November 2013, 03:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
If I believe the rumours I am hearing...!
I've been banned from Gallifrey Base (long story), so I can no longer access my main source of where the rumours are. Can someone bring me up to speed?
Old 28th November 2013, 04:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatched The Ark In Space. Now rewatching The Brain Of Morbius.
Hawkmonger likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th November 2013, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
I've been banned from Gallifrey Base (long story), so I can no longer access my main source of where the rumours are. Can someone bring me up to speed?
The current rumours are pretty much the same, the Gallifreybase thread has been locked until December 2nd so you're not missing out on anything on there. There is this recent post from Doctor Who Archive, I don't know if you've already seen it but there are a few new interesting tidbits in there, particularly the Julian Glover comment (WARNING: it's quite long ) :

Quote:
As ever all rumours come from a variety of sources and may be true, true in part or completely false, they should not be repeated as fact nor taken as anything other than the rumours they are until there is confirmation from official sources.
While obviously Marco Polo wasn’t announced at the Doctor Who Afterparty, nor on Sunday as some had speculated, an announcement is not far away, returning to those earlier speculated dates during December at the BFI, given that Marco Polo has already been sent to iTunes, possibly December 2nd in Edinburgh, yet some indicate that announcements may now be delayed till 2014.
It seems decisions are changing all the time, some reports suggest Cardiff objected to any announcement this week, feeling valuable publicity would be taken from The Day of the Doctor, affect sales of Day and An Adventure in Space and Time both through a lessening of publicity and product competition, while others felt the announcement would be lost in the publicity for the 50th anniversary special anyway. Given the nature of the Doctor Who Afterparty, it’s likely viewing audience, the makeup of the crowd etc, an announcement was never likely there and the BBC merely aired the idea without it ever being a realistic plan of action.
From a marketing standpoint, a spaced announcement would ensure the show is kept fully in the public eye between Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor this Christmas. If an announcement is to be made this December rather than the new year it will be in enough time to ensure any releases dominate the Christmas charts, a delay until 2014 may surround concern as to how any releases may affect current DVD and download sales. With The Day of the Doctor, An Adventure in Space and Time, Enemy of the World and the Complete Series 1-7 already selling well on DVD and with preorders, likely to increase in the run-up to Christmas, as well as continuing healthy download sales of Enemy and Web, BBC Worldwide may feel further releases aren’t needed until the lull of 2014 when the classic series DVD releases are scheduled to come to an end and no new series episodes are being made available for digital download beyond The Time of the Doctor. However, the release date of The Day of the Doctor on DVD on December 2nd follows Missing Believed Wiped in Edinburgh held on the 1st, for sheer organizational uniformity, it’s entirely possible that any iTunes release could be made the same day after an announcement at MBW on the Sunday. As we’ve alluded to previously, there are major structural changes underway at the BBC where Doctor Who is concerned which may also have played a part in delays and differing views on releases of any recovered material.
The amount of material recovered by Phil Morris is far more than previously even conceived of, the cataloging of the material alone is overwhelming, much less the restoration work. There are concerns that some of the material is unrecoverable and in fact it may already have proven the case. No announcement of a find will be made before it is known to be recoverable and safe. Given the sheer logistics and work involved with the material, it is little wonder it is taking so much time.
Marco Polo will not the only story announced and released as we have reported previously The Myth Makers, The Massacre and The Macra Terror all feature in potential second and third announcements, yet The Massacre and Macra Terror have always been the rumoured two. If only one other story is announced it will likely be The Massacre as the BBC look to balance out the two previously announced Troughton serials and capitalise on the high stock of Wiliam Hartnell after An Adventure in Space and Time. The status of Power of the Daleks is less certain with some reports suggesting 2016 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Patrick Troughton’s debut as the Doctor, other reports indicate 2014, the BBC wishing to get the heavy hitters out early such as Power and Evil.
Web of Fear 3 will be on the DVD release.
Phil Morris meanwhile was in attendance at the Doctor Who Celebration at the ExCel in London over the weekend and was said to be very approachable, charming and somewhat excited about his work, some reports suggesting he seemed “dying to let something out” when speaking on the issue. However one report now suggests he did..
Mike Nuttal, owner of Planet Mondas has stated that a friend of his spoke with Phil Morris at the ExCel and asked him outright if there was more missing episode to come, Morris simply answered “yes” without sidestepping the question. Mike is not an individual taken to regularly report on the missing episodes issue, nor one to take a source lightly. Indeed, coupled with the unconfirmed rumour that Phil may have told Julian Glover to “expect good news”, the ExCel may have done much to further the claims of episodes being found, yet Steve Roberts of the Restoration Team is adamant that is not the case.
Speaking with Phil Morris and Dick Fiddy of the BFI, Roberts was told by Morris that no other Doctor Who episodes “have been handed over” and that Dick confirmed that the BFI have no involvement in working on restoration for TIEA, meaning that if the Marco Polo story is true it has nothing to do with TIEA and the BFI, which would tie with The Mirrors story of the episodes being recovered from a UK source.
Rumour Recap Story by Story
Story/Episode Details
Marco Polo Found in Ethiopia and possibly also Hong Kong by Phil Morris, over 200 cans found in the country. An alternate Mirror report suggests found in the UK, recorded off air on 16mm film. Either way, restoration extensive and problematic. 2013 release, possible March 2014 DVD release.
Reign of Terror Found in Ethiopia and Hong Kong.
The Crusade Found in Ethiopia, one report suggests Phil Morris hinted at it’s recovery.
Galaxy 4 Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa, reports vary on location as either Ghana, Zambia or Kenya. Prints from Singapore sent to the hub, explaining finds of episodes never shown in Africa.
Mission to the Unknown No information, not found.
The Myth Makers Rumoured to be among the first batch of announcements post-Web/Enemy. 2014 DVD release. Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa.
The Daleks Masterplan Episodes 4, 7, 11 and 12 found in the UK as off air fan recordings, possibly leading to confusion with Marco Polo in the Mirror article. Alternatively some reports suggest the whole story was found. Potential 2014 DVD release.
The Massacre Rumoured to be among the first batch of announcements post-Web/Enemy. 2014 DVD release, possibly April. Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa
The Celestial Toymaker Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa. Release in 2014, possible “second wave” announcement.
The Savages Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa
The Smugglers Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa
The Tenth Planet 4 Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa. There was some consternation over the recent DVD release and some description of contract issues. Possibly resides with the BFI.
The Power of the Daleks Found at a TIE distribution hub in Africa. Either amongst the initial releases in 2014 or the final release in 2016.
The Highlanders Found in Hong Kong.
The Underwater Menace Found in Hong Kong. Released on DVD in May 2014.
The Moonbase The Moonbase will certainly feature Planet 55′s animation and a commentary has been recorded for the DVD by Anneke Wills and Frazer Hines, there is no indication yet it will feature missing episodes yet it’s entirely possible they could easily be added to the release without any further disruption to the DVD schedule. The animation would still need to be present for contractual reasons. Released on DVD in January 2014. Found in Hong Kong.
The Macra Terror Rumoured to be among the first batch of announcements post-Web/Enemy. 2014 DVD release. Found in Hong Kong.
The Faceless Ones Found in Hong Kong. Release in 2014, possible “second wave” announcement.
The Evil of the Daleks Found in Hong Kong. Possible 2014 DVD release.
The Abominable Snowmen Differing reports, either not found, found in part or found entirely at BPTV in Nigeria. Possible 2014 DVD release if so.
The Ice Warriors No information. Not found.
The Web of Fear Episode 3 has been recovered, there are eyewitness reports on it being seen and it will be on the DVD release. The Web of Fear will be released on DVD in February 2014.
Fury from the Deep Found in Hong Kong.
The Wheel in Space Reports suggest three episodes (1, 4, 5) found at BPTV in Nigeria, stuck at customs for a short time. Further reports suggest episode 2 found in Hong Kong.
The Invasion Differing reports, some day found in Hong Kong, others say not found at all.
The Space Pirates Differing reports, some day found in Hong Kong, others say not found at all, one report suggests only episode 3 found.
Old 29th November 2013, 01:46 AM
Cult Addict

I want to believe this. i really do. But wether they've got them or not the powers that be are gonna keep us waiting i fear.
Old 29th November 2013, 12:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I want to believe this. i really do. But wether they've got them or not the powers that be are gonna keep us waiting i fear.
I would do as well.

I'm more than happy if the missing stories become event releases.

Keeps the shows profile up and the fans chattering.

Like this? Share it using the links below!