Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28613Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2015, 08:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

I thought Under The Lake was a fantastic episode. Very creepy, more 'viewer friendly' Capaldi, less focus on Clara all the bloody time and a very tense story with a terrific cliffhanger. It probably lost viewers due to the rugby ( which will no doubt add fuel to the fire to the fallen ratings brigade ) but I couldn' care less - it was wonderful Saturday night Dr Who.
Old 4th October 2015, 08:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I thought Under The Lake was a fantastic episode. Very creepy, more 'viewer friendly' Capaldi, less focus on Clara all the bloody time and a very tense story with a terrific cliffhanger. It probably lost viewers due to the rugby (yawn) but I couldn' care less - it was wonderful Saturday night Dr Who.
I agree. It's been a very strong series so far.
Mojo, trebor8273 and hivemind like this.
Old 4th October 2015, 08:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I agree. It's been a very strong series so far.
It has, but I think new who fans are to blame for the drop in ratings, with them expecting another young and pretty face for the doctor and a lot of them not liking an older doctor ( just look at some of the comments on the web, we still have people after all these years wanting Tenant back). But if it's between them stop watching the show and a season that continues like this, I know what one I choose. I'm probably I the minority but I like Capaldi a lot more than I ever did Smith or tenant
Mojo, hivemind and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 4th October 2015, 09:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Agree it was a great episode, the flash card scene was spot on for Capaldi's Doctor. Three episodes in and all good ones. Far better than last years series.
Old 4th October 2015, 09:38 PM
Active Cultist

Agree that was a great episode, my favourite in a long time.

As for the ratings well it's a british newspaper so take the panic with a bit of salt. Wait to hear if the international ratings and merchandise are in decline before panicking.

And as for the Capaldi rumor bout possibly quitting next year. Well 3 years is the most common length for a actor to play the Doctor, Tom Baker was the only one who lasted beyond 4 years. People seem to forget this.
Old 4th October 2015, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It has, but I think new who fans are to blame for the drop in ratings, with them expecting another young and pretty face for the doctor and a lot of them not liking an older doctor ( just look at some of the comments on the web, we still have people after all these years wanting Tenant back). But if it's between them stop watching the show and a season that continues like this, I know what one I choose. I'm probably I the minority but I like Capaldi a lot more than I ever did Smith or tenant
Too true. Many viewers today want the "young look" rather than the "older look". Also if your naked pecks aren't showing to impress the female viewers, then forget it!. Just look at the updated PC Poldark. Can't see the skinny Capaldi showing his naked six pack anytime soon to improve viewer ratings. The BBC seems obsessed lately with body image and younger actor's playing more mature roles. I like Capaldi, and enjoyed Matt Smith, but Tennant was like Davison, a wet fish. This Saturday's episode was superb all round. We seem to be on a roll here, and hopefully this could be the strongest season of Dr Who so far. I just hope that the BBC do keep Capaldi on for another full run, but considering Capaldi is getting itchy feet, I do feel that next year probably will be his last. I do prefer the more mature, older actor to play the part of the doctor over the younger actor for sure.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 5th October 2015, 12:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It was a excellent episode this is type of stuff i prefer.
Im sick and tired of all this ratings malarky, lets be honest yes so and so many people can be watching it at that time.
But we live in age where so many people might be doing other things eg few beers at pub it is sat after all. Then watch later on catch up / on demand / if they recorded it there several ways of catching up with shows so the actual viewing figures while its on might be down but the actual viewing rating might not, i sat there on sat night with my mum watching a 3hr film and caught up watching doctor who in bed at 3am in the morning.
Old 5th October 2015, 02:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Can I just say I thought it wasn't as good as the opening two parter? Though if they are all going to be longer, I will shut up for the entire series, as I just want the stories to have time to "breathe".

Rewatched Terror Of The Zygons btw. Hoots, crivvens etc. Pity twas filmed in West Sussex
JoshuaKaitlyn and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th October 2015, 04:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Apparently...BBCWorldWide will be 'making an announcement' on October 7th, with regards to the classic range of Doctor Who DVDs

Wonder if they are finally going to reveal that they actually have the full version of 'The Underwater Menace'!
If they're going to announce anything ME related (doubt it) then I suspect it'll either relate to The Web of Fear Episode 3 OR The Abominable Snowmen and The Wheel in Space.

I'm a bit uncertain regarding Season 4: I think its highly unlikely we'll see much more of it. Sad I know, especially as Macra Terror, Power of the Daleks and The Underwater Menace are among those I want recovered.

... But considering Abominable Snowmen and Wheel in Space were originally with Web of Fear and Enemy of the World at some point a long time ago before the discovered stories ended up found then it stands to reason tracking them down is far more likely than other missing episodes... But Fury from the Deep? Again i'm not sure. I highly believe any further announcements or finds will relate to Abominable/Wheel. Fine with me, Abominable is great and to say Wheel is under-rated is a huge understatement.
Old 5th October 2015, 04:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Is there a link relating to an article discussing the October 7th announcement? I've just google searched it and at first glance I couldn't see anything.

Like this? Share it using the links below!