Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2015, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
You're insane.

Season 13 has got some right drek in it (basically, everything bar Zygons and Seeds!)
Pyramids of Mars, Brain of Morbius, Planet of Evil, The Android Invasion = Drek!

One of us definitely insane!

On a serious note it's obviously each to their own and all that.
Old 26th November 2015, 10:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quite.

Pyramids is overrated; well-made but too humourless for my taste. The others are just plain unwatchable!
Old 26th November 2015, 10:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Quite.

Pyramids is overrated; well-made but too humourless for my taste. The others are just plain unwatchable!
Demdike you hold him I'll get the soap!
Old 27th November 2015, 01:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Quite.

Burn
The
Heretic

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th November 2015, 02:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
As far as fave eras go it almost seems cliched to say this but mine has to be the Hinchcliffe years.

It was the era i started watching the show and it scared me half to death. My two favourite stories from the Williams era - Horror of Fang Rock and Image of the Fendahl - both seemed to be classic Gothic Hinchcliffe rather than what would come in the next three seasons.

For every great Williams story there's a clunker like Underworld, Invasion of Time and Horns of Nimon.

As for The Key to Time being the best season long story arc - i actually prefer Trial of a
Timelord.

There's a half decent book about the Hinchcliffe era which is worth seeking out. It's long since out of print now though.
The Hinchcliffe era is an absolute favourite of mine too and he is definitely my favourite Who producer. I loved the way he pushed the envelope in terms of horror content, while still producing intelligent, highly watchable shows.
As for a particular season, I still rate season 7 ( Pertwee's debut ) as unbeatable. Every story was an absolute gem.
Old 27th November 2015, 02:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
As for a particular season, I still rate season 7 ( Pertwee's debut ) as unbeatable. Every story was an absolute gem.
Perhaps controversially i think i'd go for season 26.

I truly can't believe the show got cancelled following four stories of that quality.

Now had it been cancelled at the end of season 24, well that would have been another matter entirely.
Old 27th November 2015, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Quite.

Hinchcliffe didn't always produce the "solid gold plated" Dr Who story. I found The Android Invasion, The Masque of the Mandragora and Revenge of the Cybermen were the weaker stories with some merits to each of the individual stories to be considered. I often wonder what Hinchcliffe would of done had he taken over from Russell T. Davies with the not-so-new Who?.

Hinchcliffe had the knack when it came to making Doctor Who, bringing a sort of gothic element to the story telling, plus having Robert Holmes guide the structure as script-editor. There's no doubt in my mind that Hinchcliffe understood the dynamic and creative nature that Dr Who can bring to TV. On the other hand, I would say that Graham Williams did develop some intresting stories along the way. Horror At Fang Rock, loved it!

Evoked the Hinchcliffe style. The Stones of Blood was intriguing. Also the legendary City of Death which always deserves repeated viewings. I do feel that Williams was trying to capture the Hinchcliffe vibe from his previous predecessor as producer. It's evidential to some degree in some of the stories from The Key To Time season, City of Death and Horror At Fang Rock. The less said about The Invasion of Time and the rather bland The Invisible Enemy with the King Prawn from hell.

Nightmare of Eden did demonstrate just how dire Dr Who could be with Williams producing. Personally, if it was me producing I would of dumped the entire story (Nightmare of Eden) and gone with something historical. The Mandrels looked like they had chronic constipation from the way they moved. Overall, I think Hinchcliffe touches base before Williams as producer. The constant durability of the Holmes/Hinchcliffe partnership is one aspect of Dr Who that to a degree remains solid gold Dr Who.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by hivemind; 27th November 2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 28th November 2015, 11:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Gallifrey, Weeping Angels, Daleks, classic TARDIS, RT-D era Cybermen - I'm sure they'll muck it up somehow.
Old 1st December 2015, 01:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Surely this means Peter Jackson is going to direct at least one episode of the next series.

Mojo and Inspector Abberline like this.
Old 1st December 2015, 02:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Surely this means Peter Jackson is going to direct at least one episode of the next series.

Lol

And who are you?
Im the dr
Who?
correct

Lol tbat tickled me

Like this? Share it using the links below!