Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2016, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I'd really rather the new series avoided using anything from classic, especially when their track record is to do so extraordinarily badly.
Is it. I actually disagree with you there. The use of Sarah Jane and K9 was extremely well done, as was Jo Grant in the Sarah Jane Adventures to name but two examples. Knowing nods are also well used like the governor of Coal Hill school for example.

It's fine that you don't rate the revamped series but it's use of classic series themes has on the whole been excellent. The only thing i disliked was the idea the Brigadier was a heroic Cyberman, that was bollocks!
Old 9th June 2016, 11:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

I don't agree.
Old 10th June 2016, 02:27 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I don't agree.
Why?
Old 10th June 2016, 08:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

I thought the characterisation of Sarah was bloody awful, for a start. Total retcon stuff solely to try and compare her with Rose, which made zero sense anyway. Let's not even start on what they've done with the monsters!
will graham likes this.
Old 10th June 2016, 10:33 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I thought the characterisation of Sarah was bloody awful, for a start. Total retcon stuff solely to try and compare her with Rose, which made zero sense anyway. Let's not even start on what they've done with the monsters!
On the whole i like what they did with the monsters. The Daleks are brilliant (including the Paradigm), the original Davies Cybermen were the best yet, although the Moff's ones are rubbish. The Silurians are okay seeing as they aren't the same species as the ones in the Pertwee story. The Macra return was delightful and the Ice Warriors looked impressive even though they should never have come out of their shell. Oh and the Zygons...what's wrong with them?

The Sontarans looked a bit meh, but they were pretty poor looking in the classic series after The Sontaran Experiment.

The Master is debatable. I liked both new versions of the character, but don't agree with the sex change. I don't know your age but in the 80's nobody really liked Anthony Ainley's portrayal but now he's well liked.

The only bit about the monsters i don't like in Nu-Who was SM's seemingly using the Cybermen as cannon fodder although he's since rectified that.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 10th June 2016, 05:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oh and the Zygons...what's wrong with them?
I think the new look Zygons are awful - the whole angular / foetus type design has given way to a very flat colourless look.

I wasn't RTD's biggest fan writing wise, but he was brilliant at reinventing old monsters for the new era. I feel he would have sanctioned a much better design for our Zygon friends.

The originals were absolutely classic.

doctor-who-terror-of-the-zygons-zygon-ship-aliens-monsters.jpg
nosferatu42 likes this.

Last edited by Mojo; 10th June 2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10th June 2016, 06:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I think the new look Zygons are awful - the whole angular / foetus type design has given way to a very flat colourless look.

I wasn't RTD's biggest fan writing wise, but he was brilliant at reinventing old monsters for the new era. I feel he would have sanctioned a much better design for our Zygon friends.

The originals were absolutely classic.

Attachment 179534
The design is fine, they just need a bit of gloopy extra colour to them.
Old 10th June 2016, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Supremacy of the Cybermen #1. Forbidden Planet variant cover.

Old 11th June 2016, 12:23 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
On the whole i like what they did with the monsters. The Daleks are brilliant (including the Paradigm), the original Davies Cybermen were the best yet, although the Moff's ones are rubbish. The Silurians are okay seeing as they aren't the same species as the ones in the Pertwee story. The Macra return was delightful and the Ice Warriors looked impressive even though they should never have come out of their shell. Oh and the Zygons...what's wrong with them?

The Sontarans looked a bit meh, but they were pretty poor looking in the classic series after The Sontaran Experiment.

The Master is debatable. I liked both new versions of the character, but don't agree with the sex change. I don't know your age but in the 80's nobody really liked Anthony Ainley's portrayal but now he's well liked.

The only bit about the monsters i don't like in Nu-Who was SM's seemingly using the Cybermen as cannon fodder although he's since rectified that.
I'm a bit hit and miss with Nu Who, overall i enjoy it, but have issues with a few monster designs. I love the R.T.D Daleks overall but didn't really like the new style day glo ones.

Fine if they keep them as the Leader Daleks or a sub race, perhaps using them as a separate elite that oppose the normal daleks, then they have a purpose. But as a replacement no.
My favourite was the Black one that they turned into the stupid hybrid(why??)

The cybermen are my least favourite enemy anyway, i just find them to be less effective Daleks (ie machines that want to destroy mankind), in original Who they seemed to be more intelligent i think,at least in Earthshock.
I quite liked the new design cybermen, but didn't enjoy the recent storylines. And the Brigadier cyberman was a total bag of shite.

The Macra i thought pointless.

Like the new Sontarans but the stories weren't up to much,and i think the new comedy Sontaran has ruined their impact, they need a singular nasty Sontaran like in the Tom Baker story to re-address the balance and make them a threat again.

The Silurians i like the design with the mask, but when they revealed a more human face i thought they also lost the scare factor.

The Zygons are classic, and although their first new appearance wasn't that effective i thought the most recent story was great, there was better lighting in parts reminiscent of the original story, the green/red filter look is what they are all about to me.

The new Master's have all had good moments, and pissed all over the shit Mcgann version.
Derek Jacobi should have done more, for his brief moment was really good.
Simms was good but a bit too over the top in places, the electo-skull faced jumping about business was bollocks tho.
Missy is good and i haven't got a problem with the sex change, it is a very interesting interpretation.

I really liked the Ice warrior story and didn't mind the out of suit stuff at all.

So generally a mixed bag overall i think they've done well, it's just they need to focus on what was good in the original incarnations and cut out some of the silliness.

I really liked the Silence from nu Who, but they seem to have reached a dead end with them.
Loved and still love Davros.
The Angels are good but limited i think.

Bring back the Sea Devils.
Ahoy matey.

Oh and the Draconians...erm the Axons and Omega
And while we're at it that green bulbous headed giant eye thing from the Pertwee stories, just for the crack.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 11th June 2016, 11:07 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I'm a bit hit and miss with Nu Who, overall i enjoy it, but have issues with a few monster designs. I love the R.T.D Daleks overall but didn't really like the new style day glo ones.

Fine if they keep them as the Leader Daleks or a sub race, perhaps using them as a separate elite that oppose the normal daleks, then they have a purpose. But as a replacement no.
My favourite was the Black one that they turned into the stupid hybrid(why??)

The Macra i thought pointless.

Like the new Sontarans but the stories weren't up to much,and i think the new comedy Sontaran has ruined their impact, they need a singular nasty Sontaran like in the Tom Baker story to re-address the balance and make them a threat again.

I really liked the Silence from nu Who, but they seem to have reached a dead end with them.
Loved and still love Davros.
The Angels are good but limited i think.

Bring back the Sea Devils.
Ahoy matey.

Oh and the Draconians...erm the Axons and Omega
And while we're at it that green bulbous headed giant eye thing from the Pertwee stories, just for the crack.
The Paradigm Daleks (or day-glow as you call them) have only been in two story from what will be 7 years ago when the next series airs. A variant did appear in Asylum of the Daleks but they were a lot more metallic and part of the Dalek parliament which was fine by me. I don't think they were in last years two parter at all. I don't have a problem with them now. I wasn't keen at first until i saw them at the Doctor Who arena show and they were brilliant. A lot bigger and more booming than the gold Daleks.

Pity the Sontarans have only had the one story which was okay but nothing special. Although i do like Strax i don't consider his appearances to be Sontaran stories.

The Silents were very good but as you say their time would appear to have gone. The Angels are also excellent, i'd love to see them in a haunted house story of some sort. The Krillitane's were good but i suspect their time has past as well, see also the Sycorax. I would quite like to see the Slitheen return in a single episode story.

As well as the returning enemies you mentioned, i'd love to see the Tractators again, the Fendahl too.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!