Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28509Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2016, 12:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Watch cinema trailer for 'Doctor Who' Christmas ep: "The Return of Doctor Mysterio"

It seems that some 'selected' US cinemas are going to be screening 'The Return Of Doctor Mysterio' on December 27th and December 29th
Still no proper trailer until Friday night.
Old 16th November 2016, 10:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Rona Munro has been confirmed by DWM.
Old 16th November 2016, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Rona Munro has been confirmed by DWM.
Yeah, i got the mag today. Wasn't sure if it had been confirmed before due to all the rumours. I know i posted about her on here.

It's a good issue if you are a fan of the second Doctor.
Old 17th November 2016, 12:06 PM
Cult Master

Apparently the Rona Munro story is episode 9, and it goes by the title 'The Eaters Of Light', although this may be changed later

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th November 2016, 01:34 PM
Cult Addict

Ahem.. is that the writer from old school Who?
I had to look her name up, didn't mean diddly squat to me.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 17th November 2016, 09:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yes. She wrote Survival, the final story of classic Who.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 18th November 2016, 01:30 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

I think one of the most appalling decisions ever made with new Who has to be the constant returning or should I say revolving door of writers who, in my humble opinion should of been dropped, especially Mark Gatiss, and some un-tested writers like Lance Parkin, Paul Leonard, Marc Platt and even (controversially) Lawrence Miles who could of been employed to bring some much needed balance to NuWho. We needed more Robert Shearman and Paul Cornell. I'm certainly not a fan of Chibnall either. And this concept of taking the Doctor back to a younger, more baby faced character is just asking for trouble. Capaldi is acceptable as the 12 Doctor, but has been let down by some rather shitty one-dimensional stories, but I do agree that some of the last two series with Capaldi haven't been as good as expected. Only a tiny minority of stories caught my attention to be honest. I didn't mind Matt Smith as Doctor 11, but Steven Moffat has in my view, mudded the waters of Dr Who.

Not only that, but he's also given us the un-masking of the Ice Warrior, which really wasn't necessary in my view. I prefered the mystery of not knowing what was under the mask of the Ice Warrior. He green lit the teletubbie Daleks, and totally re-imagined one of my favourite Dr Who aliens, the Sillurians, and made them more human looking with chameleon like tongues. Jesus! Just shocking! Malcolm Hulke and Brian Hayles would be turning in their graves at the thought of what dear old Stevie has done two of my favourite Dr Who aliens. I had great expectations back when Steven Moffat was announced as Doctor Who Show runner, but looking at the past series's since Matt Smith took over, it's a very mixed bag indeed.

There's a feeling that Doctor Who could be in the dock with Chibnall as the new show runner. Who knows, maybe the axe will fall "if" Chibnall's series doesn't get the sort of ratings the BBC expects. I feel the clock is ticking on Doctor Who.
nosferatu42 and iank like this.

Last edited by hivemind; 18th November 2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 18th November 2016, 10:39 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
There's a feeling that Doctor Who could be in the dock with Chibnall as the new show runner. Who knows, maybe the axe will fall "if" Chibnall's series doesn't get the sort of ratings the BBC expects. I feel the clock is ticking on Doctor Who.
I can't agree on that last point or the BBC wouldn't be demanding a series a year. It's the biggest money spinner the BBC have in terms of world wide popularity. The fact they can't release a new series set this Autumn makes me think it was one of the reasons for the animated Dalek dvd.

I do agree that Moffat has turned the show into something it isn't. You mentioned the Silurians, actually when i remembered, it clarified that the Silurians from Cold Blood weren't the same species as the ones in Wensley Caves. The ice Warrior should definitely have remained in it's armour.

My gripe is the Cybermen being reduced to cannon fodder in stories. Then when they get a suitably menacing comeback he didn't know what to do with them. When i saw the Dalek Paradigm at the stage show i thought they were ****ing awesome. In fact i think that's possibly one of the reasons, as well as merchandising, that they were designed, so they'd look massive on a stage. Don't smirk at the back there, that stage show was a big deal and toured the world's arenas.

That promo campaign - Just the Doctor and Clara, off in the TARDIS, same old same old really didn't help either. I can't imagine RT-D ever going down that route as with him it was always 'event television'. I do fear if the Christmas special isn't teasered promisingly then series 10 will flop. However with a new show runner, new Doctor and new companion, i'd expect it to regain public interest as season 11 comes along.

Finally, Mark Gatiss is a brilliant writer. His horror documentaries, Crooked House and The Tractate Middoth as well as some Sherlock and Doctor Who stories such as The Unquiet Dead prove that. Maybe if Moffat had given decent outlines in the first place?
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 18th November 2016, 01:02 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I can't agree on that last point or the BBC wouldn't be demanding a series a year. It's the biggest money spinner the BBC have in terms of world wide popularity. The fact they can't release a new series set this Autumn makes me think it was one of the reasons for the animated Dalek dvd.
6 times Doctor Who was almost cancelled

It seems that the most recent occasion was in 2010, when both David Tennant and Russell T. left

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 18th November 2016, 08:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

That clip on Children in Need was quite good fun. Got me looking forward to the Christmas special now.

Like this? Share it using the links below!